Androd Presence is misbehaving

The apps know my location before I open them or the notification. I have had a Windows Phone, Amazon Fire Phone (I know…) and now an iPhone. With the windows phone, the live tiles would update all by themselves. I never had to open or touch one. The weather tiles would update to my current location. Even now, on my watch, the weather updates to my location and temperature without me doing anything. That is where my frustration and confusion stems from. I can see other apps working properly, without me opening them or refreshing them, while ST does not, even when I open and use it.

Maybe ST needs to add a native weather function to their app and mirror other apps GPS/GeoFencing, as they seem to have it figured out.

1 Like

I was suggested following steps from support.

1. Ensure you do not have any energy saving modes enabled through your phone’s battery settings, additionally make sure SmartThings has full access to location services.

2. Increase the range of your geofence by going to “More,” then the gear icon next to your locations name.

3. Always have Wifi enabled when you’re at home.

4. Make sure you’re not logging in to your account from multiple devices. SmartThings gets confused when you have one account on multiple devices, and won’t know where to pull location services from. You should add a userhttps://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/206531123-How-do-I-share-my-account-and-manage-users- for each unique device you want to use your hub with.

5. Our last ditch effort is to completely remove the mobile presence devices then add them back in. This is not ideal, because we would have to remove the SmartApps associated with the devices, as well.

6. If all else fails, you might want to look in to our arrival sensor.https://www.smartthings.com/products/samsung-smartthings-arrival-sensor The arrival sensor speaks directly to the hub, so as long as your hub is online and the sensor is in range, your automations will run.

I’m doing everything as suggested in 1 - 5, but still it’s on off randomly.

I have done all of those as well except #6. The sensors negative reviews are for a few different issues, most of which seem to be the same issues we have on our phones. So #6 doesn’t seem like a solution either. This is what also is frustrating. There is no solution. It seems like you either deal with it or move on.

I had another Iphone(work) which I’ve started using for presence. Android’s presence is still not working.