Amazon is raising the price of Prime membership

Prime is going to $119 from $99 on May 11, 2018 for new members. Existing customers will see the price hike after June 16 with their membership renewals

$20 x subscriber base =
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:money_mouth_face:

Cancelation imminent to be part of the attrition bunch.

We have to pay the usps extra for sunday delivery… need money. :grin:

1 Like

Time to order some nice heavy items on Prime… get my 2 day shipping and make it worth that extra $20 ahahahaha

As much as I order from Amazon, the increase will not have me canceling anytime soon.

Plus, there are other perks to Prime.

YMMV

4 Likes

They say it’s for new members starting May 11. Last time they raised the price to $99, the said the same thing but raised it for everybody anyway. Amazon now has over 100,000,000 prime members. Bezos keeps getting richer and richer.

Existing customers will start seeing it with their renewals starting June 16.

Ha ha are you sure on that number? :wink: I believe you meant to say 100,000,000

You’re right, it’s a typo.

Bezos would like to think everybody for making him an even bigger billionaire.

Bezos

If mass cancellations happen they will rethink.

Im sure they have calculated the number of cancellations and still make bread.

Im cancelling and rejoining a month or two lol i just want to be in that attrition base initially.

That’s what was said in 2014 when they last rose the price. Lots of people were threating to drop the membership. Guess what happened? Amazon still raised the price and the number of members continued to grow steadily.

I agree … Amazon would not charge more than the market will bear.

But, unfortunately for the affected consumers, they won’t cancel “en masse”. There’s plenty of value in Prime and a 20% price increase is, for most, … bearable.

For everyone else, there’s Walmart.com, right?

2 Likes

And the bearable valve amount will increase every few years. The more stuff users have saved to Prime Photos cloud (which is unlimited), the more shows that are available, and music even though they added an additional paid version also makes it harder to just not renew and Amazon knows.

1 Like

I’m on the fence. I really don’t use many prime features. Man in the high castle was the only amazon show I watched.

My membership runs till fall so I’m going to try familiarize myself with the other benefits before I have to make a decision.

I order so much from amazon that it isn’t hard for me to order more than $50 to get free shipping. Also prime shipping is rarely actual 2 day shipping.

[quote=“greg, post:15, topic:125276, full:true”]
I’m on the fence. I really don’t use many prime features. Man in the high castle was the only amazon show I watched.

My membership runs till fall so I’m going to try familiarize myself with the other benefits before I have to make a decision.

I order so much from amazon that it isn’t hard for me to order more than $50 to get free shipping. Also prime shipping is rarely actual 2 day shipping.
[/quote]I’m in a similar boat.

Prime Video…I personally find it an unorganized mess and generally don’t use it…although the wife got into the Man in the High Castle, but not much else. We have plenty of other options that to provide entertainment…of which our antenna provides lots of free choices.

Prime Music…I find it less and less valuable over time since they brought out their additional paid music service. We just keep finding that the music we want is under the other paid service, so we have moved on to other sources of music. We have Pandora and Google Music to cover us here already.

Prime Photos…don’t use it. I haven’t looked at it in the past year or so, but the last time we used it I wasn’t happy with how granular the security controls worked. I don’t want every photo on my phone just popping up on my FireTV freely. We have Google Photos to cover us here already.

We do see value in Prime…but we really don’t use a lot of the newer features. Shipping would be the biggest impact to us. We don’t order everything via Amazon…but several items per month for sure. Unlikely we will jump ship yet…but it will make me think about a bit more when I see that renewal hit the credit card.

As Amazon is raising the price I still file value in their Prime services for the Same / Next day delivery and all the delivery options. Amazon is one of the few companies that constantly invests in new systems and ideas vs. trying to sit on a existing model and milk it for billions. Even their board was upset with the CEO using much of their profits for development and research.

1 Like

The potential consequence for Amazon will be giving more room and incentive for Google (or eBay, Alibaba, etc.) to cut in.

1 Like

There are a lot of prime benefits you won’t realize you get until you don’t have them anymore. :wink:

Discounts and reserved items

In particular, a number of items are available first to prime members or on special prime only deals, but you won’t even notice that if you are a prime member.

This includes some of the smart home stuff. Logitech Harmony home hub is a really good example. It goes on sale for prime members only two or three times a year.

Free same day delivery

In my area, free one-day delivery and free same-day delivery are often available on lots of regular pantry type stuff. most recently we had a delivery with toothpaste, some kitchen supplies like aluminum foil, some batteries, and a dog harness that was free same-day delivery.

And there are other benefits you may not realize are available.

Prime reading: unlimited access to about 1000 titles online for free, including some magazines and comics.

This month I read Sports Illustrated, Smithsonian magazine, Consumer Reports, this old house magazine, and the Planet Hulk comic for free. :sunglasses: The selection varies, but I figure there’s at least five dollars a month in stuff we might otherwise buy elsewhere.

They are usually about a dozen free audiobooks each month, typically genre selections, often the first book in a series that they hope you’ll get hooked on. I get most of my audiobooks from the library, but I do listen to one or two from prime each month.

Prime video is the source for my annual rewatch of Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine. :wink:

Prime brands

Some brands are available exclusively to prime members. There are a couple of clothing lines, but I don’t really pay any attention to those. I do buy some of the snacks from “wickedly prime.” I like the honey cashews and the seaweed snacks. :grin:

One of my housemates has a monthly subscription to happy belly (another prime-only brand) trail mix. I haven’t tried that one, but he says it’s a good value and he likes it.

Prime credit card with 5% discount

And if you use credit cards, the 5% off almost everything sold by Amazon for using the prime house card is a nice plus.

Anyway, every household will have to judge for themselves, but we definitely find prime worth the price. If it isn’t worth it to you, don’t get it. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Worth it. It’s like Netflix. It’s worth the increase due to the value it brings.

2 Likes