Amazon Echo

Looks like Amazon may have finally released interconnectivity with Fire TV. Now you don’t need to use the fire TV remote.

2 Likes

According to reddit and some other article’s comments, this feature/update may have been delayed. I hope it is released soon. If you look at the software update page that created the buzz, it’s been rolled back to the current version with no mention of the new feature.

1 Like

Once that update is rolled out does anyone know if it will then allow you to see your Ring camera on your tv via the fire tv? That would be a cool use case. I know that the Ring will work with the Amazon Show now but it would be cool to see it on my TV using the fire tv and calling up using alexa voice control.

I wondered about that too, and it’s on my wishlist. But I doubt it will do it in the first release. Maybe eventually. But it did get me thinking that we could try ‘side loading’ the Ring smart app onto the FireTV. That might allow us the same functionality as on our phones. Perhaps that would also work at a basic level with the Echo Alexa / FireTV integration. (ie: Launch App, Navigate the App, or Answer the App notification.) But some of us might not want to be harassed with motion notifications while we watch TV.

FYI… I tried side loading the Ring App onto my FireTV. I installed it but it says I need to install Google Play Services for it to work. You can google how to also install Google Play Services onto a FireTV. I didn’t pursue it any further because my TV is next to my front porch window. I don’t think the payoff of getting it to work (or not work) would justify the effort for me right now. But it might be worth it for someone else.

1 Like

I just ran across this for using Alexa to view your Ring doorbell on your firetv. (It does not work with the original ring doorbell) I’m going to try this today with my Ring Pro.

https://blog.ring.com/index.php/2017/06/22/ring-video-doorbells-and-security-cameras-now-work-with-amazon-alexa-on-echo-show/

I just tried the Alexa skill and it doesn’t appear to work with FireTV despite the claim in their blog post. I tried the alexa command from both the FireTV remote , and the Echo that is currently able to control my FireTV. Both Echo and FireTV alexa says it can’t control cameras from that device. :cry:

Looks like this may officially work now.

I’ll check it out tomorrow.

OK! I asked the Echo Dot that controls my Fire TV to “show me the Front Porch” and it displayed live video from the Ring Pro Doorbell with the name. Of course, that room also has a window that does the same thing without me having to ask Alexa. But still cool.

2 Likes
1 Like