Amazon Echo

You won’t fry anything but the fidelity of the output will not be awesome…

Here’s someone that had the same idea

3 Likes

What would be cool is remote Echo listening/speaker devices. Kind of like the remote temp sensors for smart thermostats. Just wish I would have bought a second Echo when they were back down to $129 on Prime Day.

There is a remote with a microphone in it. I don’t think there are any remote speakers though.

Roger that. I just don’t want to have to carry it around. On the remote you have to push a button before you speak as well. I like having it always listen.

I’m confused about why you guys are talking about wiring something to get speaker capability.

The echo already has a command “pair” which will pair it as a Bluetooth speaker to any other bluetooth device you have. So you can stream music or voice files to it.

CNET confirms:

Or are you talking about forwarding music from it? That’s not there yet, nor is synchronizing multiple Echos together, but it’s been mentioned as a future possibility.

I interpreted it as wanting to pipe the audio from the Echo to a better speaker system.

I’m really enjoying my Echo but it’s not a very good speaker for music.

3 Likes

Hence “Alexa, ask SmartThings to play Nero on my House AV at level 9”.

That’s correct. Ask Alexa something anywhere in the house and hear it anywhere in the house.

I already have a central music system with speakers throughout the house that are controlled via touchscreen on a windows PC. I would love to be able to have a line out of the echo into the line in of my current system then I could select the rooms I wanted and issue voice commands to play music.
OH…even better, have the Echo sent endpoint urls to the Windows box being picked up by eventghost to turn certain rooms on and off through voice.
Getting too excited :smile:

Where you’re just trying to distribute the audio output from the Echo, wouldn’t a Bluetooth to Line-in adaptor do the job for you?

Pair the adaptor to the Amazon Echo and plug it into your PC or whatever other audio system you use.

E.g.

@chuckles, maybe I am wrong but I thought the bluetooth connection would only work the other way meaning sending audio to the Echo not from it.

I would love to be wrong :smile:

Doh - turns out you can’t

“Audio from Amazon Echo can’t be sent to Bluetooth speakers or headphones.”

Looking at the links your provided it looks like may be wrong. Now I assume I would need one of the types you listed, correct? I could not just take a normal USB bluetooth dongle and use that, right?
Honesty I have not used bluetooth that often, did not have a need, so I am still learning exactly how it works.

Well that sucks, thanks for trying though.

I totally agree with you @3one5. I would like for them to sell a tiny device that tied into the main echo that could be put into every room. Part of me though about getting another echo just to take apart and run on of the mics to every room of my house and run speakers to every room as well. The concept would would just don’t want to take apart a nice new looking echo.

@JDRoberts, the latter is what I am after. I want the Echo to be a source for my whole house audio.

@twack, that is exactly what I am looking for. That would be awesome. I don’t have the programming prowess needed to make it happen though :sob:, so I just want to add an audio out so I can plug it in as a source and push supper lame buttons to make it play. It’s only a couple buttons on the touch pad, but still not ideal.

-JD

So on August 20, 2015, the official smartthings blog published a post saying that direct integration is now available – – but the link to the set up instructions just takes you to an Oops! Page. Very frustrating!

Hopefully this means we’re getting direct integration any minute now. I have a request into support to find out what’s going on.

Here is the link to the blog post:

@EliotSmartThings your blog post is broken. Video & link don’t work.

Video is viewable with the password “alexa”

1 Like