Amazon Echo

There is at least one “Skill” supporting ST, and the unofficial hack(s) are in the forum - and ST has dropped their usual numerous evasive hints about upcoming integration.

Given that Amazon and Samsung aren’t exactly frenemies and that the Echo team only picked a handful of UPNP-enabled IoT platforms to integrate directly with in their first round (ie, the very low hanging fruit) it’s not shocking that it’s taking a while for the ST integration to happen.

1 Like

Look on the blog they announced the integration today.

2 Likes

the link for the step-by-step instructions is “broken”

I just posted another string asking April what’s up. I can’t see the video either. I’m a little fearful that it might have been a premature post.

Wow, looks like SmartThings released this just because @OGHUGO laid down the law on them. Good thing they did so otherwise he would have gone to Wink… :smile:

6 Likes

Just today the smartthings official blog announced an official echo integration, but unfortunately as of the time of this writing the link to the set up instructions is broken. Very frustrating.

Meanwhile, many people, including me, have various work around integrations going. Please see the existing echo integration faq for details:

@April

Please combine this with the existing Echo discussion topic:

Amazon Echo

1 Like

hopefully this isn’t indicative of the general level of quality control and testing being done at ST… how hard is it to click on the video or instructions links to see if they work???

Password to watch the video wasn’t that hard to figure out. Looking forward to the step by step instructions though!

1 Like

They are coming in a few weeks.

1 Like

I think you meant “few weeks™” :grinning:

2 Likes

Whoops! Blog post went out a tad early. Stay tuned tomorrow AM for the news you all are waiting for.

7 Likes

Amazon updated the Echo app today. They also changed the app name/logo to Alexa. Mainly seems to be bug fixes and an improvement in the Flash Briefings. No changes to the connected options as well as no change on web access.

Of course it is a Friday Announcement. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know @Tyler!

2 Likes

Go ahead, switch to Wink, have fun with that :wink:

Note that this is from someone who currently uses Wink and fully intended to jump ship to ST V2 when it was released… So make of that what you will.

1 Like

Would love to control Echo with Smartthings…
When door opens, alexa chimes or plays music, etc…

Is that too much, too soon? :smile:

1 Like

Smartthings or not, Alexa currently doesn’t allow you to set up an output event in that way. Unless you paired it as a Bluetooth speaker but that’s a whole entirely different situation.

It seems most likely that the initial direct integration will be using voice to Alexa as a trigger to cause smartthings events (lights going on and off etc.) to happen.

Amazon would have to change the echo options before we could have the echo-plays-the-chime when the door opens kind of set ups.

There are other devices that can integrate with smartthings to give you sounds as events, including a new Samsung sound integration just announced today:

2 Likes

Try this …“Alexa buy Sonos” and in ONLY two days you can have sonos-plays-the-chime after Alexa unlocked the door and the door-opens kind of set ups.

1 Like

@wrongbenson once the SmartThings integration comes to fruition I believe many of the device types could be altered for them to do what you want them to do.

For example, right now if I say any combination of “Alexa, (turn on | open) my ___________.” the device turns on or if I say (turn off | close | shut) the device turns off. I’m 75% sure I also tried unlock/lock a while back and that worked as well. So if the device types are customized of have a switch or setLevel capability then it should be able to be controlled with the Echo.

2 Likes