Amazon Echo

At the minimum you have to create a schema of intents and sample utterances. This step is fairly straightforward and is done in the Alexa Appkit portal. Once an intent is recognized, it then makes a call to the smartapp and the smartapp is responsible for returning data in a format that the echo can understand.

I think so. The hue functionality appears in the settings menu under connected home. It is just a simple interface for connecting to your hue bridge and selecting the bulbs you wish to control. It also has grouping functionality so you can group all of the hue bulbs in your living room together and simply address them as living room. “Dim the living room lights to twenty percent” is an example of that. Still very early days. I have add access to the SDK for over a week, but I got the invite while I was in the middle of moving. I also don’t know how much I can reveal about the inner workings of the SDK, but I will find that out too.

2 Likes

I’m at Amazon AWS Loft for a 3 hour 1 hour + networking etc. seminar, San Francisco…

7 Likes

How long do we have to wait until Echo works with ST? Other platforms are intergrated already.

Since the SDK isn’t public yet, any integration is limited to whoever was actually accepted to check out the SDK. Even then, I think there’s an issue with actually packaging and distributing what’s been developed so it could be a while still before we see proper integration between Echo and ST. The SDK is still very new, so give it some time. I don’t think anyone has any timeline unless the ST core devs have been working on it and have it on their roadmap, which I haven’t heard of yet. Considering how few people own an Echo, I wouldn’t assume it’s high on their list… especially over getting more sensors and switches and things integrated.

1 Like

As far as I know, the only two that work right now are Phillips Hues and WeMo switches. None of the other WeMo devices work yet, nor any other platforms. A lot of people are working on a lot of different things, including some independent developers on some SmartThings stuff.

So it’s very early days yet. You can’t even buy an echo unless you got an invitation.

So I’m sure we’ll see something, but I expect it may not happen until late summer or early fall.

Refer to my post in related thread…

Thx! I got my Echo and its great. Much better than the Ivee.

3 Likes

Just got my invite & ordered one. This summer should be fun with an Apple Watch, Echo & a v2 hub. Woot!

2 Likes

Yay, mine is shipping today.

1 Like

Just ordered my second today. The waiting starts again Estimated Delivery July 14-20. Had to pay $50 more this time also.

I am wondering if I should order a second one thinking there might eventually be a Gen 2 but I decided to go for it.

How’d you manage to get a second one? Is it through separate prime account?

Same prime account, prime lets you invite others in your family to share your prime account. So I used my wife’s account to place a second order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180

@Ron Multiple units do not yet work cooperatively, correct? I received mine yesterday and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. I had thought about ordering another, but I’ve read that you must keep them out of listening range of the other.

1 Like

I don’t see why multiple would not work. I have a second echo on order but waiting until July to get it so I have not tested yet :slight_smile:

I think the Echo might be released into the wild July 8th without requiring an invite…at least I hope that’s the case. I could use a couple more

1 Like

I have 2 and it works fine. If they both hear you they both answer. If you find this annoying (as I did) you can change the wakeup word to Amazon on one of them. If you use the Hue emulator hack this configuration is stored cloud side so you don’t have to rediscover stuff with your 2nd echo.

2 Likes

That is weird. The one I ordered a month ago says it will ship on July 14th.

I just received mine this week. It is quite cool, especially at the original Prime price point. I can’t wait for SmartThings integration.

6 Likes

I also have two. Ebay is a wonderful thing… They are in totally separate areas of the house.

1 Like

[quote=“tgauchat, post:203, topic:6642, full:true”]
Now I’m feeling a little extra concern for [Unified Computer Intelligence Corporation (UCIC) (“The Ubi”)][1].

The Ubi is was far ahead on openness and integration, are but far behind on price ($399!?), speed, and accuracy.

David and Goliath, I guess.[/quote]

Gotta agree. It’s been a long while since I checked in last with Ubi on their forum, but frankly the hardware seems just too limited. The mics of the Echo are reportedly WORLD better. Software can only take you so far if the hardware is limited.

Still have my Ubi but I strictly use it for ST interface and only a few functions at that.

2 Likes