Amazon echo with Schlage lock via SmartThings

Did you add it in the Alexa app within ST?

I’ll follow up here w/screen shot in a minute

Did you remember to add them in the ST Alexa app 1st?

Ok. I had missed that step.
Got that. They’re added to the groups, now.
I found the CoRE and have managed to install it as as a Smartapp via IDE, but I don’t see it in the list of My Apps in the Marketplace.
I realize this is becoming off-topic for this thread, perhaps, but if you have any suggestions I’d appreciate the help!

I will respond in depth as I can it a bit…

In the interim there is also the IFTTT solution…wasn’t sure if you were aware of that option which is more simple than using CoRE and virtual switches.

CoRE can be an intensive learning curve if not use to rule engines and using logic to setup rules. I can share with you what I’ve done though so shouldn’t be too bad.

Yea, I setup the IFTTT solution already, but yours seemed more elegant so I started down that road.
Yes, please do!.. if you don’t mind spending the time.
Thanks in advance!

After IDE where you saved and “published for me” you then went into the ST app and navigated to “My Apps” here:

Yes. Save -> Publish for Me.
Then went into ST -> Marketplace -> SmartApps -> My Apps.
The only thing I see is Virtual Device Manger.

I’ve tried closing the ST app on my phone and re-logging in and still don’t see it.
There seems to be a disconnect between IDE and the ST app on my phone.

Here’s how I setup CoRE. I’m pretty sure there’s a better way to do this but this was my 1st pass and it works just fine.

You will learn you can inversely setup locking commands or auto locking. My locking commands are managed by another app so I just use voice unlock.

Ok. Finally got the CoRE smartapp to show up under My Apps and it’s installed.
I’ll have to spend some time setting up the Piston as you have.

Stupid question. I’m guessing this “piston” allows you to lock/unlock all the doors at once via Alexa?
If so, what exactly do you say to make it happen?
Also, does this whole setup allow you to lock/unlock individual doors via Alexa and if so, what do you say to make that happen?

Thanks for helping the NooB!

1 Like

The example I sent is for individual unlock. You will need to get your feet wet w/CoRE in order to setup for all unlock. You should have enough in my example to figure out.

As I said, lots of different ways to skin the cat. What works best for me may need to be much different for you :wink:

I still like my " Alexa trigger the arch" and wahlah the door opens.

What would be the voice command to Alexa for your streamlined virtual switch/piston method?

So here we are, 8 months later. EchoDot became available for $40, and the IFTTT integration with the Schlage locks works very well. “ALexa, trigger unlock the front door” takes about a second to run. My tablet-based voice commands are mostly gone. It was fun to create them, but they are now obsolete.

I do wish the trigger word were ‘please’ instead of ‘trigger’. In fact, I would like the whole computer voice command thing better if it encouraged politeness, if ‘please’ were a regular part of the interaction. My biggest fear is that we already have too many people barking demands at each other, and as they get used to barking commands at computers and robots polite human interaction will shrink even further.

1 Like

Hi,

How are you integrating Schlage with IFTTT? Are you creating a custom applet? I’m unable to find any that will actually unlock the lock. And the ones that will trigger unlock on some event, (unlock door when guests arrive, for example) all will say, “on locks that support unlocking,” which Schlage does not.

I did get LOCK function working by creating a Wink shortcut to trigger the LOCK function. If I create a shortcut to trigger UNLOCK, though, the shortcut isn’t visible in the IFTTT applet configuration.

Also, I thought I would trick IFTTT by creating the LOCK shortcut, making the connection, and then switching Wink shortcut to UNLOCK, but it didn’t work anymore.

On a side note, I realize there are potential vulnerabilities to unlocking the door via voice, but this kind of “nannying” is unnecessary. All you need to do is create a custom command with a string of numbers, for example, and it is just as secure as having the number keypad on the outside of your door. You obviously wouldn’t holler this from outside, though. :slight_smile: