Amazon Echo Show (with 7" screen & camera) $229.99

@WB70 Apparently this is a known bug. If your Echo Show hears or answers a home automation command, it will not be able to turn off the screen for a minute or so. If you wait enough time, ‘Alexa screen off’ (or any other variation of the command) will work. I was told Amazon is trying to work on a fix.

The most compelling functionality in all of this is the one that’s still on the way. Amazon will also be adding smart home security camera functionality to the system, so users will be able to call up feeds from August, Netgear Arlo, Ring and others directly on the set. In a way, the integration lets a Fire TV-enabled set double as a big Echo Show. That’s currently listed as “coming soon.”

Does anyone know of a way to access the motion sensor on the Amazon Show? I would like to utilize it as a trigger in WebCoRE. I figure no one has a basic DTH for it yet?

Looks like Google just pulled the plug on YouTube for the Echo Show.

Very sad to see Google going this route. It’s one of the things I used to love about them. They didn’t compete solely by locking down the ecosystem. Very disappointed to see them falling into this trend as well.

They should focus on making Google home better and not trying to gimp other brands.

Think I will post a bad review on YouTube. Not likely to affect any real change but it’s the least I can do.

2 Likes

Article about the YouTube removal from the Echo Show.

Amazon
Google made a change today around 3 pm. YouTube used to be available to our shared customers on Echo Show. As of this afternoon, Google has chosen to no longer make YouTube available on Echo Show, without explanation and without notification to customers. There is no technical reason for that decision, which is disappointing and hurts both of our customers.

Google
We’ve been in negotiations with Amazon for a long time, working towards an agreement that provides great experiences for customers on both platforms. Amazon’s implementation of YouTube on the Echo Show violates our terms of service, creating a broken user experience. We hope to be able to reach an agreement and resolve these issues soon.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/google-suddenly-removes-youtube-access-021450453.html

:eyes: This is going to be interesting…Especially considering that Amazon does not allow 4K Netflix on their Fire TVs. :rofl:

You know it’s trouble when there is no Chromecast on Amazon.com.

Yeah, I think Amazon rushed the Echo Show out there with not much thought put into how it will benefit users. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve had 3 separate surveys sent to me by Amazon, trying to figure out how to improve the Echo Show experience.

Let me see…

I have 8 Dots, 3 Echos, 4 Firesticks, 2 Fire TVs, 1 Dash, 2 FireHD8 and 1 Fire 7"…

I went back and forth on if I was going to get the Show and I just could not justify it no matter how much I thought about it…Just a weird product considering I would much prefer to have the info on my larger TVs or Tablet that I can carry around…Nope no Show for me. Shaped weird. Looks weird and just all in all too expensive.

Yeah, I mainly bought it to video conference with my kid, who’s with her mom half the time. Also, I might’ve had a few glasses of wine the night I clicked “pre-order” - the device itself is easily the clunkiest Echo design.

But there is a ton of potential to the Echo Show, if they can get some decent skills going or allow users to control more of the content on display. It’s actually really nice to have visual cues for many of the things we use Echo for - kitchen timers, weather displays, music art/lyrics.

The real problem with it is that the Echo Show has no idea what to offer you in the time between your requests. So what it does is a slideshow with the time and then offers you a very ad-hoc serious of news items. It’s bizarre and sort of half-baked, offering you stories about world news or an earthquake one minute and then suggesting you read a story about a baby panda the next.

What would be great is the ability to customize that into subjects/sources that user controls. Plus the opportunities for smart home integration are obvious. You could create your own touchscreen interface to control lights, etc.

I’m genuinely curious to see where they go next, because there is potential, if they can figure it out.

And so it begins…

Nucleus is laughing their butt off now :joy:

Black Friday $70 echo show

Seems that YouTube is back, plus Vimeo and Dailymotion.

2 Likes

Looks like Google pulled YouTube again, even after Amazon met the terms of service.

Google is looking much worse than Amazon in this stupid feud.

I contacted them to voice my opinion, and here is the reply.
Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience which you have experienced.

Currently Google is not supporting YouTube on Echo Show. To inform you that this trouble is caused due to the restriction of Google in accessing the YouTube on Echo show. This error is not from our site.

To make things better, We already forwarded this concern to the development team so that they were looking into this and may come up with the best possible solutions in the nearest future.

Please be assured that, there’s nothing to worry, we are here to take care of issues you encounter and we always endeavor to provide the best service to our valued customers and aim to ensure that the issue is resolved.

For the meantime, I request you to please extend your patience and understanding while we work on this.

Should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We’ll be happy to help you!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.​​​​​​

We’d appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,

Google Translate from the original Mandarin.

I have been using it as a bed side alarm clock since it was released. :wink: