Amazon Echo Question

When you get the Echo (and you will), you can setup groups in the Alexa app. For example, I have put the Kitchen, Dining Room and living Room lights into a group in the Alexa App Settings, Connected Home area called “Theatre”. I can tell Alexa “Theatre off” and all of the lights are turned off. After the movie time i Say “Alexa Theatre On” and the light turn on. One note, I found that using single word names for Groups works best. For example the Dining room is just “Dining”. Better voice recognition. I am looking forward to the Jarvis voice option.

Jarvis voice option??!

Thanks @MichaelS :smile:

Thanks @Cayman :smile:

Thanks @Lgkahn :slight_smile: I have never used IFTTT. Is that free? easy to use?

It is free, and it great for connecting items together that might not otherwise connect. go to http://ifttt.com to check it out.

Thanks @MichaelS :), i will!

J.A.R.V.I.S. is Tony Stark’s (Iron Man) Home computer.

I know, there is a way to change Alexa to use the actors voice or just a joke.

Hi @MichaelS, I installed Alexa Helper and created a virtual switch for my garage opener, made a routine in smart things to open the garage, and one to close the garage. I have a couple of problems:

1. My virtual switch is not connected to anything and Alexa app can’t discover it?
  2. What phrase do I tell Alexa so she can run a particular routine?

Do I say “Alexa, run Good night routine” or “Alexa, perform Good night routine?”

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I would normally refer you to the manual http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper, but you have some very interesting problems I could address here.

1 Alexa Helper can’t do anything with a switch that is NOT seen by Alexa. The thing I don’t understand it WHY it won’t discover it. The questions I would have on that would be:

-Did you add the switch in the Alexa App from the Play/Apple Store?
-Do other switches/dimmers work properly?

2 You refer to the switch by its SmartThings name. So, if you want to run the ST routine called “good night”, you would do the following:

-Create momentary switch called something like Night Mode. You can’t use "good night’ as that is a reserved word by Alexa
-Discover the switch via the Alexa App
-In Alexa Helper, create a control scenario and use the Night Mode switch as your trigger. In the routine area you would put in the routine.

You would say “Alexa, turn on Night Mode” and that should work.

Let me know if that works…

Thanks Michael. I downloaded the app as it shows

I then created a similated garage opener virtual switch, but under its “SmartApps” it says “No installed SmartApps”

And when I ask Alexa to discover new devises, it does not see the new similated switch. I must be doing something wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input :smile:

There are two steps to authorizing. 1) In the ST Echo App then 2) in the Echo discovery process.

Thanks @greg, I am only aware of the Echo discovery process. What is involved in the ST Echo App, please? I am new to this so appreciate any details

Yustos

Please note there is an Amazon SmartApp within SmartThings that you must add the switch to first, THEN discover it…I may update the Wiki to reflect this as it isn’t sometimes clear.

1 Like

OK Thanks @MichaelS, My smartthings Echo app does not see the virtual garage opener that I created. Do you have any insight into what could I have done wrong ? did I miss a step in creating the virtual switch? is there another step I am missing? Thanks!

Unless you are using a momentary button tile or a simulated switch as the device type ( http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Virtual_Switch_Setup ) the Echo will not be able to use it.

Ok I’ll try creating a new one. I assume that I can use a similated garage opener like that.

Thanks @MichaelS

Right now, no…not directly…the next version of the Alexa helper MAY include that functionality. Right now, a simulated switch is either on or off, and a momentary button tile is always off, but toggles to on, then off like a door bell. Depending on your use case, I would almost recommend creating a simulated switch, then (when the next version of Alexa Helper is out), you can configure the ‘On’ position of the button to open, then the “Off” position to closed. Because of the Echo’s limitations, you have to use non logical syntax (i.e. Alexa, turn on the Garage Door). However, if you are good with that, it WILL function.

You can do this with a routine as those already allow for opening or closing of the garage. You would simply assign a routine to the simulated switch within Alexa Helper, remembering the syntax of on or off.

I plan for a release of the new version within the month. If you feel like making a donation I can put that feature to the top of the list. Instructions are here for donating: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Roadmap

OK Thanks @MichaelS Michael. I appreciate your taking the time to help. So you mean chose “similated garage opener” from the drop down menu? or what is the best option to chose from the drop down menu when creating a virtual switch in ST?

Yustos

P.S. I will check out the donation link