Amazon echo and Scout

Evening all!

On black Friday I made the jump and got an Echo and got the thing all hooked up and have to say it’s really awesome to be able to talk to my house and make things happen (Start Trek LOL). I am a bit bummed that I cannot control my security or security devices through it though. Looking through the skills I do see one for Scout but nothing directly with SmartThings and Scout. Does anyone know if this will ever work or if there is a work around?

Cheers,
-Stephen

Not quite sure what your question is. You use the SmartThings skill with SmartThings and the scout skill with scout and the SmartThings/Scout integration works like it always does if you subscribe to that . So it’s already there.

The only thing that the scout/smartthings integration does is report SMARTThings-controlled intrusion sensor alerts to scout. So having echo in the mix wouldn’t change that at all.

https://smartthings.scoutalarm.com

Ok so here is what’s I want to do and what does not work.

I have automations built into smartthings that set the alarm state, turn lights on/off, and lock/unlock doors. When I ask Alexa to perform these it tells me it cannot due to security devices. Does that help calirify what I want to do?

Cheers,
-Stephen

It sounds like you are trying to use routines directly in echo. As you noted, there is an echo rule that these cannot include anything except switches and thermostats.

Fortunately, there is a way around this, which is what we used to do before echo added support for routines.

You can create a virtual switch which will start your routine. Any routine, because to the echo it just looks like a switch.

So that’s all you have to do. :sunglasses:

The step-by-step instructions are in the following FAQ:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I was hoping this was going to be possible as I want to se this up for my paraplegic mother.

Cheers,
-Stephen

Alexa (and whatever similar, and better future versions) is the game-changer. I had some voice control and interaction with the android tablet using google now, but nothing like this. Three Echo Dots have encouraged me to delve into the routines and virtual switches with far more thought and care than before. Real home voice control has finally arrived.

1 Like