Alternatives to the Samsung Arrival Sensor?

I had a lot of presence detection issues and ended up working with SmartThings support for three months trying to improve things, so I found out a lot of details about how the presence sensors work. :scream: Unless something has changed recently, the SmartThings presence sensor checks in every 30 seconds and there’s no way to change that. The presence sensor is a super simple device, in part to try to improve battery life. You can’t configure it at all.

What you can change is how long it will be before the cloud marks the presence sensor as “away” if a check in has not been received. This is intended to help with the problems of local interference or a presence sensor which at home is left right on the edge of range. The kind of situation where you will see the present sensor being marked as away, home, away, home, in rapid succession. You can make that interval longer than 30 seconds, so that if only one check in is missed The presence sensor will still be treated as at home, but you can’t make it shorter than 30 seconds because you can’t change the behavior of the presence sensor itself.

I don’t see that.

You used to be able to do that, but I just looked and I didn’t see it either. Support can do it for you. It’s one of those things which has sometimes been there and sometimes not over the three years that I’ve had the system, I’m not sure why they change its availability. But they did make some IDE format changes a month or so ago, it may have been lost then. Or maybe I just missed it.

There is the timeout setting in the hub settings

there is a checkinterval in the device settings.

These 2 settings alter the performance of the arrival sensors and, regarding the hub setting, it also affects the geofence performance.

Yes, you are right. This only affects the ST polling aspect, not the sensor aspect.

1 Like