Alternatives to Simulated Devices?

I’m pretty sure simulated devices can’t run locally so unless I can find an alternative, I’m still going to be stuck depending on the cloud.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Rule Machine is being publish soon and I was under the impression that meant it could run locally, but I was wrong. So at this point, there’s really no need to find an alternative to virtual devices.

1 Like

Firstly, I hope we use the term “Virtual Devices” to avoid confusion with the IDE editor / Simulator. The latter is a very specific case, and though both terms are semantically correct, it is helpful if we agree on distinct terminology, thanks?

Anyhow… At the moment, the only way I can think of to, ahem, simulate Virtual Devices in a way that will run locally is to actually install and use equivalent Physical Devices.

For example, for each Virtual Switch, you need to install a standard, local Device Type Handler supported, SmartThings (or Centralite? PEQ?) ZigBee Outlet.

Doesn’t seem very cost effective, of course, but if you have 2 or 3 critical automations that you need to have locally resident, I think it may be worth considering this approach … no? But, of course, this is moot if the SmartApp(s) themselves are not in the local firmware…

We do try to pester our Developer Advocates (@slagle, @jody.albritton) to try to move more Device Types (and SmartApps…) to the local firmware; we understand there is overhead involved, particularly in the QA process (since if a DTH breaks the firmware, that’s a very serious issue). A simple Virtual Switch, though, would be low risk for local execution … and potentially very high value!

[quote=“tgauchat, post:2, topic:38307”]
Firstly, I hope we use the term “Virtual Devices” to avoid confusion with the IDE editor / Simulator.
[/quote]I agree that the term should be Virtual Device, but when you create one you have to choose a DH called “Simulated” which is why I used that term.

1 Like

Agreed… well, petitioning SmartThings to help us be consistent with the terminology would doubtfully not earn a high priority response unfortunately.

[quote=“tgauchat, post:2, topic:38307”]
Doesn’t seem very cost effective, of course, but if you have 2 or 3 critical automations that you need to have locally resident
[/quote]I’m using 20+ virtual devices so that’s not an option, but you’re right, it’s a viable alternative for the things that have to run locally.

1 Like