Alternative Hubs

A list of reasons, much like I suggested here (to which we can add, the straw that broke the camel’s back):

https://community.smartthings.com/t/not-working-echo-speaks-v3-actions/173073/1628?u=jlv

2 Likes

Just to chime in on the st-to-hubitat / webcore debate.

I have some pretty kick ass pistons running in webcore. I’ve stayed with them because imo nothing comes close, but I’m hardly an expert.

Also, I’ve managed to sack off a stack of overly complicated webcore pistons for motion etc and instead, use the inbuilt apps. Which are less complicated and better for that purpose.

I’ve said it a million times. This platform became a waste of time and energy. I used to be an extremely regular poster here. Since making the jump to hubitat, there’s not a hope in he’ll I would ever, ever use this again. Never. If my hubitat died and I couldn’t afford another for 6 months, my ST hub would remain firmly where it is now. The workshop bin. Samsung killed it slowly over the past x amount of months. Shame.

3 Likes

My hubitat was delivered yesterday cant wait to get my ES back up. My whole hub is still down since tuesday. I should say cloud services and automations are down. I really liked ST but it may just play a minor roll in my house automation now. I only have 1 zwave device as the rest are wifi so hoping my transition to hubitat will be ok.

1 Like

I made the switch last week to Hubitat, I am by no means at this point saying one is better than the other but made the switch having made my own decision reading user reviews and watching a lot of Youtube videos.

I love the UI in the Smartthings app (Both old and new) and was reluctant to see it go with the move, my ST Hub is still here (Literally in front of me on the desk) so if I want I can switch back, although having spent a few days building my new network and using it seems unlikely. Is Hubitat for everyone? No, is it like Smartthings? Absolutely not. If you are an enthusiast like me you will enjoy either hub you use.

I will still be on this forum because I like the people and enjoy the topics. Speak soon!

3 Likes

Got mine installed and registered yesterday but have yet to start excluding/removing devices from ST at this point. Any good hints/steps/how-to guides to go about moving over? A few things I’m running don’t have local or HE support yet so I will run HubConnect, but otherwise I plan to move all Zwave and Zigbee devices over, as well as Hue. Is there a WeatherFlow integration in the works?

If your hub is running 2.2.3.148 stick with that for the moment, the recent release has a few bugs and in fairness the staff have been incredibly active and released several hotfixes in the last few hours.

When you start adding Zigbee or Zwave devices they are found super quick, hardly ever waiting around unlike Smartthings. There was talk about having devices near your hub for inclusion but I haven’t had this issue. I had around 12-13 DTH’s in smartthings with only 2-3 in Hubitat, it has most things or handlers that work with what you want, that’s what I have found.

Take it steady, it’s taken me around 3-4 days to get everything to where I want it similar to Smartthings automations spread across different apps (Half a day putting 40+ actual devices onto it)

Not sure about Weatherflow app, haven’t seen one but then again haven’t looked, There is a stock weather app? Not sure if that’s what you are looking for?

I’m no expert by far! But happy to give a little advice.

1 Like

Hubitat has several, and you can also ask in their forum:

Just remember that you need to leave a functional backbone on both networks, so pay attention to where your repeaters are physically located as you start moving devices back-and-forth.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s my roadblock right now (more just plain laziness on my part); once I get that distant Jasco switch and its associated Aeon repeater excluded, the rest should be easy enough. Thanks for all the info!

1 Like

Thanks for all this. :+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Start by installing HubConnect and share all your ST devices with HE. Then install WebCore, if you’re using that on ST (or you want to learn it). Now you can start playing with HE without actually moving any devices, or interfering with your existing ST setup. (other than installing the HubConnect client and some drivers).

Once you’re comfortable, you can move devices from ST to HE, and if desired, share them back to ST.

Do you have a WeatherFlow Tempest? There’s no HE integration but you can access current data using a simple HTTP call in Webcore (WeatherFlow has a published API). I do that to track lightning and announce warnings on my Echo devices. Start a thread in the HE forums and I can help you with that.

3 Likes

@Don_Caton
This is the way. Hope someone rewrites hub connect for the new api prior to the groovy apocalypse

2 Likes

The home assistant integration to Smartthings already works with the API and is all set for the groovy apocalypse. Just saying :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi my friend, I have read about ST will sunset ADT/ST hub early in Jan 21, so my question is if Home Assistant provides hub and system to take my current dual branded devices ADT/ST in order to start planning migration …

I’m not sure Home-assistant is the way to go for a security system oriented setup. There’s threads on ther forum but nothing like your adt hub. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/smart-alarm-system-with-ha-integration/131779

Maybe you can look into Adobe? Security systems are definitely not my specialty. Tagging @JDRoberts since his posts have had a huge insight on the whole Adt hub and other possible more security geared alternatives.

1 Like

As @mwav3 said, Home Assistant is not typically chosen as a security system.

On top of that, most of the dual logo smartthings/ADT devices use a proprietary communication protocol: they don’t work with anything else. Not home assistant, not other ADT systems, not other smartthings systems, nothing. So without the ADT/smartthings dual logo panel, they are just paperweights.

If you are looking for a security system which can offer professional monitoring and has the option of cellular communication to the monitoring center, then either the ring security system or Abode are good low-cost candidates. But in either case you would have to buy all new sensors, so that may not be what you’re looking for either, although the ring system is on sale right now for Black Friday and is a good deal. You can get partial Integration with smartthings by using Alexa routines as a “man in the middle.”

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Ring-Alarm-14-piece-kit/dp/B084YCCX7X/

The Abode System is another good candidate, although it costs more. It does have HomeKit integration, which is a nice feature if you already have an iOS device. But integration with smartthings is only through IFTTT.

But again, neither of those options would let you use the sensors that you already have. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

I was afraid that was the case. That really stinks for people who purchased this option, especially if they just bought it in the last couple years. It’s just another example of a cloud integration ending that causes a device (or worse in this case a whole bunch of devices) you have to now be a brick/paperweight. However with home security, “local control” won’t give you the security functions you need and you’re kind of stuck with a connected option of some sort. It is interesting though that there are hardwired alarm systems connected to a copper phone line installed years ago that continue to perform fine with no worries about a cloud integration or API that might be changed on a company’s whim. Is this a situation where newer is not always better? I know this isn’t the OP’s ADT system and getting off of that, but this alarm decoder product that makes an old school security system connect to a modern “smart system” seamed nice. At least with this method, you don’t have to rip out and throw away your sensors that use proprietary protocols every few years. http://www.alarmdecoder.com/

2 Likes

It depends on the specifics. Actually, most security systems do “run locally“ in the sense that they don’t need the Internet, and they often have battery back up so they don’t need power either, at least for a few hours: but they have their own battery operated cellular communications, which allows them to send messages to the professional monitoring center. I would say this is the most typical configuration in the US right now for inexpensive security systems which are UL listed. this is how both abode and ring work, for example. If your Internet goes out, the systems can still contact the monitoring center via cellular.

As far as wired Sensors with an add in radio, Most residential systems shifted to wireless sensors about 10 years ago, and that includes a ADT and simplisafe, just because it makes it so much easier to place the sensors in the home. If you are using a traditional contract service, normally they update the devices if updates are required to continue the service. With DIY products, you are taking the risk of the hardware becoming obsolete.

People with current ADT contracts and the ADT/smartthings dual logo system should probably contact ADT to find out what’s going to happen.

People without an ADT contract are probably out of luck because the fine print that they agreed to when they set up their smartthings account told them that hardware could be made obsolete:

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services.
In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services.
We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical. Similarly, we reserve the right to remove any Content (including any SmartApps or device or external service connections provided by SmartThings or by third parties) from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, if someone alleges you contributed that Content in violation of these Terms), in our sole discretion, and without notice.

Samsung Account

I know many people don’t read the fine print when they buy something, but judges have generally upheld these type of agreement as valid. So if continuity of service is important to you for a specific period of time, you need to look for that in the products that you buy. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks my knowledge on security systems is definitely outdated. By “connected option” i just meant a security system needs a reliable connection of some sort to report break ins to police or notify the owner, versus home automation where that might not be as critical.

One other thing I noticed- any “joint venture” in the cloud, like this ADT Smartthings partnership, that relies on two different companies working together is even more unstable. If either company decides to “move in another direction” , the product stops working.

1 Like

Hubitat is on sale now. Any reason not to jump ship? Thinking of going Hubitat/Homebridge set up since the Hubitat app is less than stellar at this point IMHO. My wife really needs the app.

For dashboard options on HE also take a look at smartly and sharptools.

My bride likes to use her phone for lights, etc too and I was able to make a custom dashboard using the built on dashboard. It looks like this.

3 Likes