[OBSOLETE] Lutron Connected Bulb Remote

Correct. You can pair it to multiple bulbs at a time, but it will just control all the bulbs it’s paired with every time.

1 Like

can I just unpair it from the bulb without breaking hue connection to the bulb ?

I don’t know if a way to unpair a bulb from the remote without resetting the remote. So then you’d have to pair it to the hue bridge again before pairing it to other bulbs, or it’d steal them.

SmartThings v2 with Cree Connected Bulbs.
Working good, can use the app or the remote, only one small problem, I’m experiencing the behavior you described:

" Remote turns off or dim the bulb, but the status is not updated". In order to update it on the app I have to click the refresh button, when I do it update status (on/off) and the dimmer slider.

Is there a way to keep it in sync/auto update ST when I use the remote?

For Cree, no. The problem is that Cree bulbs do not accept reporting for the switch cluster. Without that we would have to poll the device every couple of minutes to keep its state in sync. Possible to do it, just pointing out that it isn’t done as of right now.

1 Like

there is an update to ST hub on the way.
the explanation says "improvements to ZigBee device pairing"
Could this include Lutron remote connectivity ?

Lutron remote connectivity isn’t part of the update. What the update has for ZigBee device pairing is a new process that collects all the information required for pairing in one go and then sends up the packet to the cloud. You would be able to see this under Hub Events. This gives two big improvements:

1. Fewer devices pairing as ‘Thing’.
  2. Faster join times

Oh man, so if I get the GE Link will ST be able to pickup the status (on/off/dimmer) set by the remote? If the answer is yes I will stop by home depot right away.

Yes. I have my whole house set up with remotes and ge links. In fact in my sunroom I have 2 remotes and ge link bulbs. It replaced my 3 ways dimmer set up and works great. Everything syncs up nicely with ST in realtime.

The answer is almost. The configuration for GE link is only for it to report changes to on/off, not for level. This action was taken because of the weird level values that the bulb sends out when send-me-a-report is set up for level.

Also, may I know what your use case is? Is it to move around the house with the remote, or use it like a button? I recently completed work on platform changes to update the default 4-button behavior. The code is also complete for the osram button and 3 iris buttons. Using buttons, you’ll be able to control pretty much anything, not just bulbs.

1 Like

I love the idea of buttons. Actually I spent quite some hours in the past couple of days researching it and I didn’t find that many options. As a coincidence one of my ideas was to use buttons to replace 3 way switches (no wiring setup and should be more cost effective).

Also the only reason I decided to try this one is because I couldn’t find any other 4 buttons remote that would connect to ST and provide the smooth dim experience while pressing and holding a button. If there is one please let me know.

And now that I think about it, reporting level to ST may not be that important.

Use case:

Have a remote on the bedside so my daughter can turn the lamp on/off and most important: dim it. The Benefits:

• Wouldn’t have to reach for her phone.
  • The smooth dimmer experience provided by the remote.

At the same time, have the lamp available to ST so we can turn it off remotely when needed or add is as part of automated routines such as turn it on at sunset.

In order to monitor the lamp remotely and turn it off when necessary all we need is to make sure the bulb reports its status (on/off) to ST.

Hey workmonk it seems like you obviously know what you are talking about here and maybe you can help me out. I purchased the Lutron LZL-4B-WH-L01 remote on a whim hoping it would work with my setup. I only have the SmartThings hub ecosystem with one Cree LED Bulb in a lamp, and another OSRAM Recessed RGB LED in the cieling. Is it possible for this remote to turn off and on both those lights with proper reporting to ST? I’m okay with having to refresh the bulbs in ST after using it if need be, so long as the functionality remains the same. If it is possible can you point me in the right direction to getting it set up?

Our integration for the remote is not complete yet (zigbee group support). You can control your Cree (ZLL) with the setup mentioned above, but not Osram (ZHA) bulbs. Osram in US is not ZLL and wont talk to the remote

Hi workmonk and Scott and everyone: something broke with the recent updates. Months ago I had my GE Link bulbs all paired to ST (v2), then paired the Lutron Connected Bulb remote to ST (I installed workmonk’ device handler - which was necessary for proper function), then paired each individual bulb to the remote, within working distance from the ST hub itself.

This allowed the remote to pair with the bulb without stealing it. If the bulb was too far from the hub, the remote would steal it. If I didn’t first pair the remote to the hub, it’d steal it. If I didn’t install the device handler first, it would also steal it.

But after the hub update of recent, this no longer works reliably because the Lutron remote, using this procedure, now seems to be very random about which bulbs it pairs to, and when. Sometimes it pairs with a particular bulb, and many times it doesn’t.

When the procedure fails: the bulb flashes, the green light on the remote flashes, but instead of the remote LED flashing flashing flashing then turning off, it flashes flashes flashes then stays constant for 3s before turning off.

I’ve tried everything: resetting remote, bulbs, etc. Note that all bulbs are within 10ft or so of the ST hub.

Very frustrating that the method I had working (albeit it felt a bit like a hack) now stopped working :frowning: Frankly, I’m a little surprised the Lutron Remote is still not supported officially- it’s the best option for physical switches right now in my opinion, and smart bulbs without physical switches was one of the silliest ideas of smart tech :slight_smile:

Any help would be really appreciated, so thank you in advance!!

Best wishes,
Rishi

What’s odd is the random-esque behavior. Previously I was able to pair bulb X to the remote when it was the first bulb I paired to it, but if I pair bulb Y to the remote first, I can’t pair bulb X.

UPDATE: Confirmed that the behavior just appears random. I moved bulb X to the location of bulb Z, which itself paired just fine, but when trying to pair bulb X in bulb Z’s location, it failed, so I don’t think it’s a location thing. And of course I don’t think it’s a bulb thing either since bulb X paired fine when it was the first bulb I paired.

But, now I tried pairing bulb X in bulb Z’s position 3 times, and on the 3rd try, it worked. The green LED on the remote didn’t go constant for 3s before stopping to flash, and it works.

So it seems very random! Any ideas?

To sum up my use case: I want 6 GE Link BR30 recessed lights to be controllable in my theater with the Lutron remote on the wall (I removed the wall switch and wired this circuit to be always on), but also ‘smart’ so I can control the bulbs with voice using Amazon Echo, or turn on or off when motion stops, etc.

That is, I want the smart properties of these bulbs along with Lutron remote control. Which is why I chose ST over Lutron Caseta (hooked up to Amazon Echo).

Seems like it should be a common use case: you don’t want smart bulbs to become just to use a physical remote, and you don’t want smart bulbs to remain smart only if you don’t them with a physical switch :slight_smile:

Many thanks in advance,
Rishi

Hi, I am a newbie. I am trying to install the Alpha handler. I read the FAQs but I do not see that handler in the repo update from smarthingspublic(master). Can anyone help?

Since it’s still an alpha release, I believe you need to get the code from the github link in the first post of this thread. It’s not in the official repo yet.

You probably already know all this, but just in case, here’s the overview FAQ of how to install custom code to your account:

Got remote today. But anything I do, it won’t pair to ST hub. Hub just don’t see it. Pairs with GE bulb just fine. Any idea?

Thank you. I now understand the basic procedure. But the code and specifics I need to change are over my head. :(. And to think I spent 8yrs in my early life as an application programmer. I will have to do more reading and research.

Any hints how to pair remote to ST ? ST just don’t see it, Now new “things” appears, nothing in the log… I’ve got two remotes , both acts the same…