[Alpha] Lutron Connected Bulb Remote

This device handler is different from most because this device is different from most. The LCBR will not send its messages to the hub itself, so it’s not going to work like a switch as far as the app is concerned.

All this does is let you add the LCBR to the same Zigbee network that is controlled by your hub.

Once you do that, following the instructions in this thread you can set up the LCBR so it can turn on or off a group of nearby ZLL lightbulbs. it becomes a parallel means of control. But that’s all you can do with it. You can’t add it to an automation and you can’t use it from the smartthings app.

From the thread above:

This device does not directly work on the SmartThings platform at this time. You can bind it to a group of bulbs after connecting it (and the bulbs) to ST and use it to control those lights directly, but button presses are not sent to the hub and it cannot be used as a button controller in the traditional sense. Using it with the bulbs in this way can cause ST to lose track of the state of the bulbs temporarily, depending on the bulb.

Most of the time when you find a custom DTH it does allow the device using it to be seen as a device in smartthings and you can access its features. But there are a few devices, including handheld zigbee remotes like this one and Z wave local scene controllers, which can only be used to control a small set of nearby devices of the same protocol.

There are lots of other handheld button devices which do send their communications to the hub and therefore can be used in many different ways and in automations. It’s just that this isn’t one of them. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thanks for all the help on here. This process described in 257 mostly worked for me with the LCBR and GE Link bulb.

There are a few things in the post that are implicit - these use the @Sticks18 device handler for the LCBR and the group app. The @workingmonk code is also discussed quite a bit in this thread, but is not used in the sequence. Before the sequence described here, the @Sticks18 code needs to be copied as appropriate into the IDE device handler and smartapps.

My objective is to be able to do three things: (1) turn the GE Link bulb on or off with the LCBR; (2) turn the GE Link bulb on or off with the ST App (mainly for purposes of #3); and (3) set an automation that turns the bulb on or off when various door sensors are triggered.

I have noticed one quirk. If I turn the bulb off with the LCBR then try to control it with the ST app, the status will update in the app but the bulb will not illuminate.

It is easy to get it working again - if I subsequently turn the bulb on with the LCBR, then turn it off with the ST app, I can again control the bulb with the app.

More specifically, here is what is happening:

1. Off with ST app, on with ST app - fine
  2. Off with ST app, on with LCBR - fine
  3. Off with LCBR - on with LCBR - fine
  4. Off with LCBR - on with ST app - status on but does not illuminate
  5. On with LCBR, off with LCBR - fine
  6. On with LCBR, off with ST app - fine
  7. On with ST app (assuming last off was with the app), on with ST app - fine
  8. On with ST app (assuming last off was with the app), on with LCBR - fine

Perhaps I did get something wrong in the setup sequence, but I was excited to get both the app and the remote working generally using the @Sticks18 programs. The @workingmonk code also helped, in that this code helped me get the remote working for the first time. I was not able to get the app working while this was in place - that required the @Sticks18 programs.

You did the setup right. It’s a quirk of the LCBR. It sends the bulb a 0% command, instead of “Off”; so when you turn it “On” via the app it stays at 0% brightness and isn’t illuminated. You can edit the device handler for the bulb to fix this (adding a “default” dim level to the “On” command). I think someone in this thread ran into the same issue and we provided a fix. I haven’t used these in a while, so I can’t help now.

1 Like

Got it - thank you. I see it back in post 180.

For me, I think the workaround is easy. I just need to update my automation to include a dimming command, with the dimmer set at 100%.

I don’t really need to use the app much. I just need manual control, and an automation that turns the light on when the door opens.

1 Like

Question about the exact wording of the entry, instead of “trace catchall” I found something like this in the log
description is catchall: 0104 0004 0A 01 0000 00 8CF7 01 00 0000 00 01 004322

In my example, I’m assuming that the group ID is 4322? I tried using this as the group ID in the SmartApp. I can control the bulbs (Cree) through the Samsung new/old app and with the LCBR. However, the app status doesn’t update with any changes I make using the remote. For example, I can turn bulbs off with the app, and then back on with the remote, but the app still shows them as being off.

Should I just start over with step 1?

Thanks for your help.

Okay, I will admit I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to adding device handlers, but I feel like I have missed a step somewhere along the way… I just converted my home automation from Wink to SmartThings, and of course want to minimize equipment replacements. Have been very happy with my Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes for controlling certain smart bulbs installed. The Cree bulbs connected quickly and easily to ST. Reset the LCBRs to factory default. Published sticks18’s LCBR app to my IDE and successfully added the LCBRs to ST. Then paired the LCBRs back to the bulbs as I had done many years ago with Wink. So, day to day function of LCBR and bulbs was restored. Yea!

However, the LCBR devices in ST are just displayed as grey silhouettes of a generic remote control device and don’t do anything, which kind of defeats the purpose of having added them to ST (other than it seemed that this step was necessary to re-pair the bulbs to the remote under the ST automation environment). So, I am thinking I must have missed a step or misunderstood some of the instructions. Does something need to be edited in the LCBR app to make them “live”? I have noted all the ZigBee ID (both bulb and associated LCBR), Device Net ID, and bulb End Point codes. But, now I am stumped. Can anyone assist, please? Thanks.

Please see my post #261 to Richard Parker a few posts up in this thread. Unlike most devices, the LCBR will not send any messages to the hub and you will not be able to do anything with it in the app beyond seeing it listed there. You will be able to use it as a parallel means of control for some nearby Zigbee bulbs, but that’s it.

There are many other devices which can work as “button controllers” with smartthings so that you can assign different actions to different buttons, it’s just that this is not one of them.

1 Like

Thanks. I like the look and profile of the LCBR and am happy to have them continuing to provide service in their mountings. Of course, the bulbs that are linked to the LCBRs can be turned on or off through ST, so the fact that the remotes don’t do anything in ST as well is not the worst news. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m a bit fuzzy on this as I haven’t done it in some time, but I believe if you deselect from step 13, and then reselect again as if repeating step 13 you will see the entry repeat in the log. Perhaps they changed the verbiage in their console output.

I’ve seen this many times. There are a bunch of people migrating and spending hundreds to avoid a six dollar a month fee, only to discover that much of their system just won’t work the way it used to. Pretty much every scene controller wink uses won’t work in smartthings as a scene controller. This includes this remote as well as the Tapt switch, but you also can’t use their smoke alarm integration either.

You can’t use Some of the Wink smoke detector integrations, but if you want, you can add a Z wave acoustic sensor which can recognize UL listed residential smoke alarms and get partial integration with ST that way.

How to migrate from Wink to SmartThings

1 Like