[OBSOLETE] Lutron Connected Bulb Remote

I picked up one of these remotes and got it working without problem. I was disappointed to discover that the off button sends a ‘Set level to 0’ rather than true off. Anyone have a workaround for this… maybe via a custom device handler that sets the level back to the last know value if it sees the level set to 0?

Is there a difference? When I use the remote to turn off the lights I see the lights as “off” in Smartthings. I’m not sure if I’m understanding the difference, or if mine is working differently.

The problem is that if you turn the lights off with the remote and then back on with ST it won’t work as expected. Say you have your lights at 60% and you turn them off with the remote. If you then turn then back on with ST you would expect them to be back at 60%. They won’t though as they will come back on at 0% because that is what the remote set them too to make them go off.

I see what you are saying… I probably don’t notice that issue because I use the remote 95% of the time. Most of the other time I use a minimote that I have set to 100% on one button and 20% on another.

I guess the workaround is to have whichever other way you are turning them on to have it turn on and up the %.

I stopped using this remote for this reason as a few of my other automation didn’t work anymore since the blub would be very dim when it went on and not all of the smart apps I use allow me to set the brightness level.

I don’t like the form factor as much but the OSRAM Lightify Wireless remote has been working great as the off button actually turns the light off, therefore saving the previous brightness level for next time I turn it on via any source.

1 Like

So sorry Joel for not responding earlier. I haven’t been on this forum since I had everything working. However, after replacing my hub, I have not been able to get it working again. I get everything added, but cannot seem to connect the remote with the bulb itself.

I’m still learning a lot here. Since LIFX works with smartthings and the Lutron connected bulb remote works with smartthings can I use this remote to toggle on and off LIFX bulbs?

What I’m trying to understand is this…does the connected remote simply send a signal to the ST hub and then you program the hub to perform an activity when that signal is received?

I really like that switch and would like to use it for LIFX. I also don’t have a ST hub yet but I’m willing to get one. I only have a wink hub now

Anyone knows if ecosmart bulbs work with the remote? I got the remote connected to the hub, but can’t connect to the bulbs…

I have the same issue. I found a workaround that works but there’s a second or so delay before they come up sometimes. I created a piston in CoRE that sets the bulbs levels to 100% when they come on. It’s just a basic piston that works for me as I don’t have any intention of dimming them. You’d have to create a more complex one if you do.

I’m trying to add the Lutron remote according to your instructions and am not able to find the Group ID. The device handler appears to have the log command at the beginning of the parse section (I’m using your device handler with no changes). I initially paired the remote directly to the bulb (a Cree Connected, but I intend to use GEs on other remotes as well) AFTER pairing it with ST and everything seems to work fine except the ST status isn’t updated when I use the remote. I am guessing I need to reset the bulb and Lutron remote first before I can see the Group ID?

Really, in my use case, I am using one remote per bulb and what I really care about is the status of the bulb synching with ST, which it sounds like your SmartApp does. My wife loves the Lutron remotes (currently added to my Wink hub) and I’d like to keep them but move them over to ST. The status thing really bothers me though.

The syncing of status is actually reliant on the bulb reporting back status changes to ST. My app won’t help in that regard at all. I haven’t used the Lutron with Cree, but the GE Links report back really well and will stay in sync.

1 Like

Ah, OK. Thanks. I have some GE bulbs I can try as well. I suppose it isn’t the end of the world if the Cree bulbs don’t report status back and I can just use the remotes directly paired to them instead since they still seem controllable by ST as well. I just wasn’t able to find the Group ID and I suspect it is because I paired the remote to the bulb directly as well as ST.

Yep, the Crees don’t report the power on event. The GEs do.

There’s a discussion of brand differences in the thread on the power outage management smartapp:

Cree Connected Bulb and Lutron Connected Remote - Success Story

Some of the language used in the posts refers to the ‘group’ number and an endpoint of a single digit. Perhaps the posts were out of date. I had to look at my bulb output differently to come up with my solution. My two Cree Connected bulbs are working with the Lutron Connected remote. Here is how I did it.

-If paired, unpair your Lutron remote from the Cree Connected bulb. To do so, turn on/off the Cree Connected bulb 4 times MANUALLY. Start with it on, and count OFF … 1.5 seconds … ON … 1.5 seconds and so on 4 times. The last time, the bulb will blink/dim indicating it’s been unpaired.

-Reset your Lutron remote by holding down both on/off switches together for a full 20 seconds until all flashing lights have stopped.

-Install the code as described above in posting #26. Just do the code install.

-Pair Lutron remote with ST hub. Yes, you do need to be within 4-inches of the hub to do this just for the pairing. Once the remote shows up on the ST app on your phone, you no longer need to hold the remote within 4-inches of the hub to complete the task of pairing.

-Pair a Cree Connected bulb with ST hub and turn on/off. Look for a description line such as this in your live logging:

description is read attr - raw: 7FFF0A00080A00000020FE, dni: 7FFF, endpoint: 0A, cluster: 0008, size: 0A, attrId: 0000, result: success, encoding: 20, value: fe

Note the endpoint is not a single digit: endpoint: 0A
Note the cluster of 0008. I believe this is the group number.

-Launch the Sticks18 SmartApp. Enter:

1. Lutron Remote paired to hub
  2. Select the Cree Connected bulb
  3. Endpoint. In this example from the above it would be 0A
  4. Enter the group id. In this example 0008
  5. Select the Cree Connected bulbs you want this remote to control
  6. Enter the endpoint. In this example from the above it would be 0A

This worked for me. I can not guarantee it will work for your Cree Connected bulb or other types of bulbs.

Question: Do the dimmer +/- buttons work?
Answer: Yes, they do.

Question: Does the bulb device show up as OFF when you press the Connected remote off?
Answer: Yes, still testing. I’ve written some pistons and got odd results on a few.

Question: Do I have any problems with stealing?
Answer: None. The remote and ST are playing well with the bulb.

Question: Would I recommend the Cree Connected bulb over others?
Answer: I’ve only used the Cree Connected so I can’t speak for the other products. I’ve dealt directly with their customer service in the past which in my opinion give 5-Star service. If anything goes wrong with the bulb within the 3-year warranty, no questions or receipt needed, they will replace the product for you.

Question: Where can I find the installation guides for Lutron Caseta Wireless products?
Answer: Here is the link to: Lutron Caseta Wireless products installations

Question: Where can I find tutorials on how to install a Lutron In-Wall switch?
Answer: Here is the link to: Lutron In-Wall Switch Installations

Update #1: CoRE programs and the remote
I am encountering some rouge issues with the remote not triggering an off, but simply a level change to 1%. Some of my core scripts were failing because I was testing for the bulb to already be off or on. I’ve altered my codes to not expect either on/off status of the bulb.

Questions: What is it you changed in your coRE code?
Answer: I removed any called to commands just as ‘Set Level (Advanced)’ or any ‘if’ statements checking if the bulb is either on or off.

Update #2: Removed reference to Pico Remote in article

4 Likes

thank you for this. I had this remote lying in my drawer for months and with this post I was able to set it up to control 8x hue color bulbs in my den.

Thanks, I’ll give this a shot.

I tried your instructions and they didn’t work for me. A couple of notes:

1. You said “Pico” remote - I assume you mean the Connected Bulb Remote, because the Pico remote can only pair directly to a Lutron device.
  2. You shouldn’t need to have the remote 4 inches from the hub while pairing - you need it within 4 inches of a bulb when pairing directly to the bulb, however.
  3. When I re-added the bulb, I got this string: D07D0A00080A00000020FE, dni: D07D, endpoint: 0A, cluster: 0008, size: 0A, attrId: 0000, result: success, encoding: 20, value: fe. Would the group ID be the same for all bulbs from a single manufacturer?
  4. Are you sure you didn’t pair the remote directly to the bulb? Right now, my remote is literally doing NOTHING with the bulb.

It’s really crappy that SmartThings seems to have dropped the idea of adding support for this remote, as it is nice and has a ton of potential. Who knows, maybe with the upcoming Lutron compatibility, they’ll give us something that works consistently. At any rate, I’ll probably just end up pairing them directly to the bulbs since no one can seem to get it working consistently and ignore the lack of status synchronization on the hub.

EDIT: Just saw your comment about not getting consistent on/off status in the app. That’s really the only reason I was trying to do this to be honest - I can pair the bulb to both ST and the remote and the remote won’t “steal” it from ST but it can still control the bulb. Obviously the status isn’t updating though, but others report the GE bulbs might update the status more reliably so that’s my next step. I guess in my case, the status isn’t SUPER important, as these lamps are nightstands or end table lamps. I was just trying to find a way to use the remotes and move them off of Wink.

1 Like

Correct. I had the wrong terminology with the name of the remote. It is a Lutron connected remote and not the pico.

1 Like

An FYI… You can “steal” the pico remote and use it as a button remote (you still need to have a hub capable of ClearConnect <-Lutron Casetta Standard)… I did this back in (rooted) wink days… The assumption that it can only pair to the lutron casetta dimmer is false. on wink I was using my picos as button remotes

Dumb question… Anyway to make this remote control a virtual bulb instead of a physical one… ?Then you could use CoRe to read the state changes of the virtual bulb and make it into a button remote that way… I believe that’s how wink does it (at least partly)