[OBSOLETE] Hue Dimmer Switch (ZHA) (beta) (no hue bridge)

What is the magic juju to make this DH work with the new ST app?

Thanks!

Hey there!
Thanks for sharing the code, it works very well.
I made some improvement. Itā€™s currently in Pull Request to the original source code, but for those who donā€™t want to wait until itā€™s approved, here is what it adds:

• Name the buttons from the Dimmed switch (ā€œonā€, ā€œoffā€, ā€œupā€, ā€œdownā€ buttons)
  • Detection of the event PRESS from any button
  • Detection of the event HOLD from any button
  • Detection of the event RELEASE (after held) from any button

Here is the link to the modified source code: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Anomen/mySmartThings/master/devicetypes/digitalgecko/hue-dimmer-switch-zha.src/hue-dimmer-switch-zha.groovy

Thanks and happy hacking!

EDIT: my code has been merged. Please refer to the first post of this topic. THanks!

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the DTH!

I loaded it up and changed the appID etc as per one of the previous poster and paired the dimmer up and changed the device type to it.

However I canā€™t get the ST own smartapp in Marketplace (Smart Lighting app) to recognise the switchā€¦

Any pointers what I have done wrong or which smart app Iā€™m meant to use?

Thanks in advance.

S

With the latest commit I couldnā€™t kick off an automation when pressing a button on my dimmer, possibly something to do with renaming the buttons?

Iā€™m now using commit 8d2382c which works fine.

Thanks

Hi Iā€™m keen to buy some Hue Dimmer Switches if they work reliably with Smartthings.
Looking through this thread it looks like this there have been unreliability issues in the past.
Have these been resolved by the recent code changes?

Itā€™s very reliable.

I have one in my bathroom, controlling a Fibaro Dimmer 2 module connected to the ceiling lights.

No problem at all, never offline. I use the Hue Dimmer with the Advanced Button Controller smartapp.

Grtn Ben

Thanks for providing feedback. Iā€™ve picked up a Hue Dimmer to try out. Iā€™d never heard of the ABC smartapp so Iā€™ll check this out too.

For the SmartThings hub the Hue Dimmer Switch is a set of 4 pushbuttons.

You can define what each button does, press or hold the button.

I am going crazy, maybe you can help @benerkens

I was able to pair the device, and ST sees every button press/depress. I installed ABC, set my custom actions up, and nothing. The hub still sees the button presses, but nothingā€™s actually happening with my devices (lights arenā€™t turning on, etc). Any idea what the issue could be?

Hello, does the hue button now stay connected?

I had one and used the code at the beginning of the thread and at the time it only stayed connected for a day or so.

Does it now stay connected?

You installed ABC as a Smart App, not as a Device Handler!?

Correct. The device handler is the code at the top of this discussion, and ABC is installed as a SmartApp

Together with the SmartApp ABC I see a ā€œchildā€ program / API, is that also installed?

Hue Dimmer Switch Mapping

Label
Hue Dimmer Switch Mapping
Installation Type
API
Installed Smart App Parent
Advanced Button Controller

It is. Saved and published the parent, and only saved the child (did not publish).

The fact that the ST hub instantly sees and registers each button press makes me think it HAS to be something with ABC, but I could be wrong. I tried both the old hybrid ABC app and the new child/parent one, neither worked.

Canā€™t remember how it was done.

Sometimes it is fixed by removing and reinstalling the switch and/or the app from SmartThings.

After reinstalling the correct child proces is linked.

Because the driver and app are already installed when you try a 2nd time, it is easier connected to each other.

Grtn Ben

Iā€™ll try again tonight, I feel like Iā€™m SOOOO CLOSE! Haha. Iā€™ll update if I get it working :slight_smile:

Just wanted to chime in here, same problem both with ABC as well as the Pistons I was trying to set up using this device handler in WebCore. So I donā€™t believe this issue is in ABC or the WebCore smartapps but in the device handler itself and the way ST now interprets it.

I believe something in a recent hub update has rendered this device handler somewhat crippledā€¦I would agree that ST can still see the button presses clearly, but any third party smartapp that seems to attempt to read the button presses from this device canā€™t see them.

Iā€™m not a programmer so not sure how to fix, I will be working with the gang in WebCore and providing logs in the hopes they may see the flaw however itā€™s looking like we will need a fix on this device handler for it to work as a remote for other switches. It worked great for a long time for me though it was in a room I didnā€™t use much, one day just tried it and realized it no longer worked so I canā€™t narrow down to what update borked it.

@BDP please share your progress! It sounds like your issue is exactly what my issue is at the moment and I can not figure out for the life of me whatā€™s going on.

I have Webcore set up and it recognizes the press of each button, but it still fails to meet any conditions set in the piston and nothing ever happens.

Here some info from my current configuration. I have the Hue Dimmer Switch to control a Fibaro Dimmer 2 module.

ST notice the pushes on the buttons :white_square_button: (button 1 On 1% and 100%, button 2 Brighter & button 4 Off).

I have saved in Advanced Button Controller the mapping of the button.

Did you gave the mapping a custom name?

Do I need to upload or PM the files I use for the Hue Dimmer Switch and the ABC?

Grtn Ben

The only difference I see is that the DTH says model RWL020 and that the switch is reporting RWL021 !

• application: 02
  • endpointId: 01
  • manufacturer: Philips
  • model: RWL021

Donā€™t know why the DTH and the Hue Dimmer Switch work together, maybe due to the manual selection of the DTH.