All my Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Switches not working

Doubt Im going anywhere then since I really have no noticeable benefit. All my stuff is pretty much instant to me so I get no real benefit imo.

On another note I have not been thru my Tiles in a while so I opened them yesterday and was surprised with all the new graphics to choose from.

Thanks for all your team’s hard work Terry!

1 Like

Ugh… it’s always some randomly weird issue with this platform though.

Same here completely out of the blue… I’ve had the master bedroom lamp connected to this device for YEARS now, and all of the sudden it starts acting up today.

12:09:25 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method contains() on null object @line 295 (encap)

Switched the DTH to the one in the other thread and it started working automagically.

Well talk about kismet! :crystal_ball:

After assisting @Manarama quite a bit earlier today, I just discovered now that my garden lights had not turned on at sunset! :city_sunset:

And, indeed, of all my various switches (ZigBee and Z-Wave) around my home, only 2 of my outlets are Aeotec Z-Wave Metering appliance rated plugs (the garden lights and a heater).

Hub V1 here, so I’m pretty sure that rules out firmware issues, since I don’t think Hub V1 has had a firmware update in many months.

Now I’m really curious as to what has changed in the standard Z-Wave DTH. Looking at the SmartThings public source code repo on GitHub now…

Indeed: There was a major “reversion” of the DTH code committed to Production 7 days ago (and likely deployed today … “rollout Tuesday”).

59351b3c-4eb4-4033-95c3-d12524b6f7ae  11:31:17 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method contains() on null object @line 295 (encap)

There are other revisions in this same commit, but I’ve highlighted the section containing Line 295.

Just for the sake of random cross-reference, the Live Logging error also occurs if I manually claim the device is a Z-Wave Metering Dimmer, except it’s DTH has matching code at Line 300.

But no error occurs if I change the DTH to “Z-Wave Switch Generic”, which has not been changed since April:

@Brad_ST: Please note this for your Support team? Per @Manarama, removing and re-adding the device may fix the issue; I have not tried this, yet, as my 2 affected outlets are not easily accessible.

The quickest solution to get the Outlet Switch working? Just manually change the Device Type in the IDE to “Z-Wave Switch Generic” (or possibly a few other usable choices).

@workmonk: Tagging you, since the Commit Blame is associated with your GitHub handle. I’m not finger-pointing; but the diagnostic trail has to start somewhere, of course. I certainly could be completely wrong with this analysis. I have not attempted any debugging, nor or trying to use an earlier production commit of the DTH code.

just looked at mine and all the 3 devices using Z-Wave Metering Switch have the same debug message, they all seam to be responding to commands in the app though

1 Like

Same “debug” message, but not the same error message:

I suspect this bug only affects Aeotec Switches (and perhaps only certain specific models of Aeotec (certainly only those with Metering). It may also affect those using a very similar underlying protocol quirk; i.e., this could be the fault of Aeotec – I guess SmartThings can’t test every model of every device?

What exact model are your Metering Switches?

ment the same message accross the 3 devices, two are fibro moduals and the other TKB Home socket

I’ve tagged the devs and we should have an update in the morning. Looks like a simple NPE catch, but want the z-wave experts to take a look at this before we hotfix this.

1 Like

the one that needs it TZ69E
zw:L type:1001 mfr:0118 prod:0001 model:0011 ver:1.10 zwv:3.83 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,98,5A,85,59,73,25,20,27,32,70,71,75,7A role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

1 Like

Thanks!

Let me know when you need the PayPal address for my bounty. :moneybag:.

Just noticed all my Aeotec Smart Switch 6’s have all stopped working - all using the “Local” DTH ‘Z-Wave Metering Switch’ makes me wonder what is the point of local processing when a change in the cloud can make them become unusable anyway.

Glad I found this thread before getting the Zigbee plugs out :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m in the same boat here. So it seems that there are two “solutions” currently. 1) Remove and re-add the devices or 2) Change the device handler
Neither of these are ideal from a user standpoint. Especially for things that have been working fine for years, but all of a sudden no longer work because of a server side change.

1 Like

Just completed the hotfix. You should no longer see the issue.

1 Like

Verified… Thank-you!

(PS: I am serious about my wish for a bug / solution finding bounty…).

my device is still showing an issue that wasent present before

Even after the hot fix had been applied I still was having issues with some of my Aeotec Switch 6’s - in the end I found changing the DTH from Z-Wave Metering Switch to Aeon Outlet seems to have made them all work.

1 Like

That’s because the “hotfix” did not revert the broken code … Apparently only a bandaid was applied (IMHO)… i.e., protection against fatal NPE, not a fix of the underlying assumptions and non-NPE consequences.

whats NPE?

Null Pointer Exception… generally results in a fatal error.

The Device Handler was aborting due to the conditional statement expecting a value or object that doesn’t exist (i.e., the referenced variable is pointing to nothing … null), in some circumstance. Perhaps only for Aeotec devices…

Groovy makes avoiding NPE’s easy by using the ? indicator in the object reference, it will simply return “false” instead of an error.

While that adds some degree of safety, it is not necessarily good programming practise. If a section of code is expecting a value in an object, then there ought to be a reason that the value is expected, and if no value is found, that could be symptom of a serious problem elsewhere in the code. In other words, covering NPE with a bandaid “?” indicator, might really be hiding a festering wound underneath. That’s why strict languages do not provide such shortcuts. Groovy allows sloppy coding. … and yes… this can become a nasty “religious” discussion really quickly.

1 Like

slight change in the message