Alexa + SmartThings + IFTTT + Harmony to turn TV on and off by voice (2015 version)

@JDRoberts How is the Alexa Trigger -> Harmony via IFTTT working for you? I have been using Alexa/Harmony and ST integration to this point and it’s worked really well, but am trying to simplify my ST setup and also remove any dependencies on ST for obvious reasons of possibly moving to another platform one day.

I use mine every day and it works well. Occasionally there’s enough lag to be noticeable, up to about 15 seconds, but that’s only once or twice a week. Most of the time it’s not instantaneous, but it’s conversational… Ask echo to do something, it gets done in 6 to 8 seconds. :sunglasses: So I’m happy with it, but it might be a little slow for some people. It’s been very reliable for me.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve come to the realization that I will have integrations all over the place and I am going to choose the ones that are most reliable when I can. I am also trying to make the transition to either a v2 or another hub as painless as possible, and doing this with IFTTT accomplishes that. Perhaps it can also solve my Watch ESPN problem where it puts ESPN radio on instead of the actual Harmony Activity. Must test when I get home…

So I setup the IFTTT to Amazon Echo/Harmony integration, a few observations:

1. The Smartthings integration is definitely quicker by a couple of seconds
  2. My wife hates the word “trigger” as we have a 3 year old son who repeats everything and the word “trigger” is associated with guns and she doesn’t like it. Interesting point I never thought about, but Amazon could have chosen another word given the times we live in these days
  3. I hate how Alexa says “sending to IFTTT” as it difficult to understand. It took me awhile to figure out what she said. I prefer the “Ok”.
  4. Using IFTTT directly seems to work favorably with saying things like Trigger ABC or Trigger ESPN.

For the reasons 1-3 mentioned above, I will stick with the ST-Harmony-Integration for now.

1 Like

Is there a way to use my echo and harmony home hub to just control the volume without having the “power on” and "power off " devices in the harmony activity? I would like to control the volume of my TV through my echo. Can anybody recommend a solution to this?

I know this is a long thread, but changing volume is discussed at least four times in this very topic, along with the reasons why you’re seeing devices powered off. There are even screenshots showing how the activity is set up in post 285 above. I don’t really want to repeat everything again.

The quick answer is that everything in harmony is based on activities. So the first step is always to set up a Harmony activity that does exactly what you want. Once you have that, it’s simple to activate it through echo.

Each time harmony starts an activity, it does the following:

1. leaves on any devices which are required for the new activity that were also used by the previous activity

2. turns on any new devices which are required for the new activity that were not used by the previous activity

Three) Turns off any devices which were required by the old activity that are not used by the new activity and are not listed as “always on” devices.

So when you’re seeing things go off when you change the new activity but you want them to stay on, you just have to include them in the new activity as well.

So the question you’re asking about is really a harmony question. Not a SmartThings question. Once you have a harmony activity that set up that will change the volume The way you want, you can use it with smart things.

There are a number of other issues involved with this, but again, they’ve already been covered in this thread several times.

I will mention that the method is clunky. I use it because I am quadriparetic with limited hand control, and I don’t have any other good way of changing the volume. But I think most people who are physically able to use the regular harmony button remote will prefer that.

There’s an alternative to the Harmony Hub, it’s to use an ESP8266 as an universal IR remote, it’s controllable via ST and subsequently with Alexa.

See my project where I control a tower fan with ST & Echo

1 Like

How are you doing the ST-Harmony integration? I used the connect app to create all my switches and then added those switches to Echo. I created a group for each one so I could rename the switches to some easier to say. If I ask Alexa to turn on my Living Room TV it does, but the light just spins for awhile and she says the device isn’t responding. So it works, but it’s annoying that Alexa says it doesn’t when it does. Turning off sometimes work, it just spins awhile before saying okay.

Don’t bother with ST to use Alexa with Harmony. Yonomi is better and easier to setup.

I’ll have to look into it, but I would prefer not to use another app.

I felt that way too, but after realizing how much more efficient it is and easier it is to setup, I changed my tune. Plus doing the integration with ST creates a ton of clutter in Smartthings with so many apps and virtual switches if you create a lot of Harmony activities.

Are you still using your ST hub or did you ditch entirely?

Very much so, I rely on it heavily. Nothing else meets my requirements.

I hear yah, I am in the same boat. Besides a few minor annoyances, there is nothing better.

How did you get these logos?

When using your virtual switches, you have to use a custom device type:

Custom Icons

I am not a developer so dont know programming.Also how does this work with virtual switches.Say I want a icon for CNN .I am using harmony home with st.Thanks

Amazon Dot v2 is now officially supporting Hamony Hub integration:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/alexa-gives-voice-commands-to-logitechs-harmony-hub-remote/

Well, will be supporting very soon. :sunglasses: ( Both dot and echo.)

Officially announced this morning, but not yet released for most people.

New skills usually show up on Thursdays, but it could be anytime now.

Official announcement:

Alexa support comes to the US sometime this week and to the UK "in the coming months.

1 Like

Another new development: Amazon has recently added the ability to execute IFTTT recipe/applet that are setup as Alexa triggers as actions in Alexa routines.

1 Like