Alexa Routines - Live at last (two years in the making)

It’s a smart plug (Wemo) on my system.

All you have to do is press the big white circle for it to say Turn Off.

Thanks, that makes sense. I missed the obvious.

I just setup a Routine called “Emergency” and used Michaels virtual Momentary switch. With this routine I can turn on a large number of switches and outlets using a Piston in WebCoRe. The only problem I have run into is that my Cloud based WeMo devices don’t respond as fast or as predictable as they should. If I say “Alexa Emergency” the switches that are local come on or go off with no problem. But the WeMo switches cause a problem, either they don’t come on or go off or they do respond with a huge dealy, and I mean huge delay. But the virtual switch works fantastic with the Alexa routine. Below is the simple routine I created.

I’ve done the same. Would be nice if you could change the stock “Ok” response she replies with though.

e.g.

You: "Alexa, goodnight"
Her: “Goodnight, sweet dreams”

You can use Big Talker to to that, but that is using external speaker. I am waiting for Ask Alexa to see what Michael comes up with.

I’ve lost count the number of seperate SmartApps I’m running to get the outcome I desire! Adding Big Talker into that might be one step too far!

On the face of it, it doesn’t seem like a hard thing to add onto their current routine implementation… but we’ll see! Maybe Amazon, aren’t keen on people getting her to say certain things?

1 Like

The new EchoSistant already has this built in and ready to go… But with a ton more options.

Coming soon

2 Likes

What is the advantage of creating an Amazon routine with one switch and a webCoRE piston with 10 other switches? Why not creating the Amazon routine with 10 switches directly?

There is only so much Amazon can implement. Think of SmartThings. You have Smart Lighting, if you want more than that you use a custom skill, I mean app…

It is a test case, to see how this function could be used for other things. I love playing around. I am thinking more for the ability to set off the siren and run security routines if necessary. And to be honest, not sure what else could be done. That could be a whole new thread.

1 Like

It is easy to say, Alexa, secure the house.

And she sets the alarm, and every thing else.

I’m already doing it work ESv5

I don’t believe you! Prove it…

PS nice way to rob it in people’s face :smile:

1 Like

I’m not rubbing anything in people’s faces! Just letting them know that their lives are about to get a whole lot better!

You want to see a video of my house being secured?

1 Like

I just want people in threads like these to talk about what is currently available to everyone, not what might be on some roadmap for some future project or is currently in a closed beta or stuff like that.

If you want to add one post with a link to a thread talking about those other “someday maybe” projects that would be fine. But too many details in a thread here about unavailable stuff just gets confusing.

Otherwise it gets really hard to keep track of. And frustrating for people who don’t have availability to those features.

JMO :sunglasses:

8 Likes

It’s all relevant.

What available now.
What can be done now.
And what is coming very soon.

I still don’t have the Alexa Routines.

Contact support

Alexa categorizes WeMo light switches as plugs so those can’t be included in a “turn on the lights” group command. They’re ignored.

2 Likes

I wish I read this post before spending this weekend retrofitting my Routine assistant app to automatically create virtual switches and tieing to Routines. Ah well, at least it gave me some good ideas of how to tie everything together with the updated Alexa app.

4 Likes

Anyone seeing the “say” Action command in their Routines Action options that CNET is showing on their screenshot of the Alexa app?