Alexa Routines - Live at last (two years in the making)

It is easier just to leave the HUE connected to ST off the list so they are never even imported. I have all hue connected to echo account and all my ST hue are not imported, because I did not select them.

I have to say, I was excited at first, but quickly lost my enthusiasm for the Alexa Routines. Amazon once again stops well short of the goal line.

When you select a Smart Home device only, you can not select an Alexa device. So, you can’t do something like set a routine for each device named “Good Night” that only controls devices in that devices room.

It would be nice to be able to say, “Alexa, good night” and it only control the room I’m in.

I’m hoping this will change when/if Amazon allows for device location control.

But, until Amazon steps up their game, they still are no match for ESv5… oh things it can do! Literally better and faster than ANY app available today or in the future… guaranteed!

1 Like

You can select one of your echo Devices to be the one that will play any of the audio portions of the routine, such as giving you the weather report.

Right now there are no music options, just weather or traffic or your flash briefing. Plus your smart Home Devices. My guess would be that they will add more options over time, that’s been true of most echo features.

1 Like

That works too, but I found that Alexa is grossly inaccurate when it comes to offline bulbs, while using hue through ST is not.

The anticipation of it being released was awesome! Like a kid waiting for Xmas morning and finding coal in his or her stocking.

1 Like

I have my Hue authorized in ST and authorized in Alexa. But, in the ST Alexa app I do NOT have any Hue bulbs authorized to be seen by Alexa via ST. This prevents any duplicates and allows me to control them via Alexa, and via ST.

Works great.

1 Like

Still have the anticipation of waiting for ES.

Oh wait, Bobby said May 20 :smirk:

1 Like

c’mon…is not that disappointing. It’s revolutionary for Amazon and ther right move to maintain supremacy in the voice control market.

3 Likes

It’s a step in A direction.

The Routines the way they are, are not something I’m interested in setting up at this point in time.

It’s definitely a step in the right direction… and this leap frog thing they are doing is typical. Why throw all of your cards down when you can play the game and run up the pot.

We were waiting to see how much of our work becomes obsolete after the routines are released. And now we know

1 Like

yeah… NONE!

2 Likes

My guess without seeing ES is nothing is obsolete

You are right about that… They’ve changed nothing on our Road Map

1 Like

Add Traffic, News and Daily Briefings as a default checkbox item to include in ES and you pretty much make Routines in Alexa obsolete for now. :rofl:

Also did you see my comment way up above in my large post about playing a station on Sirius/XM and adjusting volume on a specific echo or a group of echos? This would of course include Pandora, Amazon, and all the other music sources available. Is this something I can expect to be able to do through ES. Or will I have to talk to native Alexa?

Right now through Alexa I would say "Alexa, play Lithium on Sirius/XM on “All Echos” (where I set up whole house music)

Never mind don’t answer those ? Whole world is watching.

I can wait to be surprised.

1 Like

Exactly what I am doing.

It’d be nice if you could tell Alexa to play music and she’d know which music service to play and what volume to set it at.