Alexa Now Has Follow-up Capability (US)

I don’t think this has been posted. If it has, my apologies.

Alexa now has follow-up capability meaning you can give follow-up commands without having to use the wake word each time. It’s set per device and only available for US English right now.

48%20PM

14 Likes

Working perfectly for me! Just keeps getting better and better!

1 Like

Woohoo! That’s awesome! I’ve been trying to figure out how to get Alexa to send multiple SKIP FORWARD commands to my Logitech Harmony (6 SKIPS to get through commercials.) Hopefully, this’ll help.

Didn’t even know that was an option. What platform are you skipping?

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that context is maintained between commands, and the feature just saves you from having to reissue the wake word for each on. Nonetheless, this is a welcome enhancement.

Were you asking me this question?

Using the standard Alexa Harmony Skill I can pause, resume, rewind, fast forward and skip my FiOS/Frontier DVR.

This is definitely a nice new feature. I’ll say this much, they are constantly making tweaks to the platform.

1 Like

I like the follow up feature. But it’s not completely new for Alexa. Some of the skills that have been released had it already. Those skills include interactive story telling where Alexa gives you options and you respond and quizzes like jeopardy. It’s more than just having Alexa follow commands to run routines etc.

I just had a conversation with Alexa. As long as you can ask or say something before the blue light goes out (about 1 or 2 seconds) she will respond. It wasn’t a great chat but it might be a more intellectual talk than with a lot of people today.

Notice I only said Alexa once at the start:
Alexa, I’m home
Welcome home! I hope you’re having a good day.

yes how are you?
I’m good. I hope you’re doing well too.

How’s the weather?
she then tells the current weather

Will it rain soon?
she then tells if rain is forecasted

tell me a joke
I don’t trust people with graph paper. They’re always plotting something.

What’s your favorite color?
Infrared is super pretty.

What’s your favorite sound?
Definitely one hand clapping.

What does the fox say?
Ancient mystery.

what does a whale say?
I don’t answer everything about whales yet. For trivia about whales, try saying “give me a whale fact”.

give me a whale fact
In short bursts, blue whales can reach speeds of 50 kilometres per hour (31 mph), their usual speed is about 20 kilometres per hour (12 mph).

Thank you
Absolutely!

1 Like