Alexa Helper - Change mode or phrase with a switch toggle

I am just kidding, my friend! I learn from all you guys everyday! :slight_smile:

I know :slight_smile: Was kidding around myself.

Ok. I am still a little confused. With the latest version. There is no selection for virtual momentary button. Are you guys using virtual switch as a momentary button and just check on ā€œis this momentary switchā€ in Alexa Helper?

I use ā€œmomentary button tileā€ as the device type for my momentary switches. Thatā€™s working for me with Alexa helper.

Yes. @michaels latest code has an option to specify if it is a momentary button tile.

Strange, I have version 2.0.0 and yet I see all my switches except my virtual momentary buttons. Yet itā€™s there in the things section of the ST app.

You ā€œseeā€ them where? In echo? You still have to do the authorization step through the regular Amazon SmartApp in SmartThings, and then do a discovery of the devices in the Echo app, before they will show up in echo.

I donā€™t see them when setting up Alexa Helper smartapp.

Edit: in one of the six slots

1 Like

In the IDE you need to set up momentary TILESā€¦not buttonsā€¦the app switch in each scenario only modifies the interface to allow only the on selection to be chosen. You must set up the virtual switch or tile in the IDE.

Hope that works for you.

Ahhhā€¦ that was the problem. That fixed it! Thank you! Tileā€¦ not button.

1 Like

Yepā€¦made the same mistake when I started as wellā€¦

1 Like

Funny, I just re-read your instruction again and it did say momentary button tile. Now I believe my 3 years old daughter when she said ā€œyou are so old daddyā€.

Hi @MichaelS

First off, I love this app :slight_smile: thank you for making it. Itā€™s awesome!

The only thing is I now have many virtual switches for things, and its irking me a bit :). Do you (or anyone for that matter) know a sneaky way to ā€˜hideā€™ the virtual switch so it doesnā€™t show up in my IOS app in the device list, but still let alexa call it?

I put my virtual switches in a room called ā€œhome theaterā€ and another room called ā€œadminā€ That worked pretty well for me.

I was thinking of something like that, but I mostly use the Things list, not the Rooms list. I donā€™t have quite that many devices yet.

You can just move them to the bottom of the list, then.

Can you do that in the new 2.0 IOS app? I canā€™t seem to move them around anymore. They are simply alphabetical. I could rename them ZZGoodnight and ZZIā€™mBack but ehhhh :). Iā€™m picky, heheh.

I created a ā€œroomā€ called virtual switches for Alexa. No way I know of to ā€œhideā€ them.

Ok thanks :). Iā€™ll rename them to zzModeName for now, and make a group in alexa with the name I want to use vocally. Thatā€™ll work :D.