Alexa functionality and Harmony

I have an Alexa that I connect with SmartThings in my set up. I’m able to control devices but one thing I cannot control is my harmony activities. They import fine but when I try to run a command Alexa has no idea what I’m talking about.

I had one that was: listen to music however this would just have Alexa play music where is it supposed to turn on my AV to CD input. I tried changing this to party time in which case when I said that Alexa said excellent; by the way that was very funny; and then music please but Alexa just played music. Also try some of my other activities like play Nexus player in the light switches gets confused and doesn’t know what to do.

Has anyone had any success getting Alexa into SmartThings and having function how to work through Alexa because I haven’t?

I’m sure that’s very frustrating! :disappointed_relieved:

This is a very popular integration, and many people use it, so you should be able to get it to work.

It’s important to understand that conceptually Echo is going to think that you are asking it to turn switches on and off. You will have to use the words “Alexa, turn on { name of switch}” Or otherwise you will activate other echo responses.

The following thread has the exact instructions. You can ask for additional help there.

1 Like

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Smartthings+Echo+Harmony Hub = Voice Controlled TV! (2016 version)