Alexa can text now--but only by using the AT&T Skill

Alexa will be able to send SMS text messages now without needing CoRE. The catch is it is for ATT customers. I just changed from ATT and they are making their plans better and features like this now.

1 Like

Still waiting for T-mo to say something… :smile:

I switched to Cricket. It’s owned by ATT and uses ATT towers, but I lose out on the ATT benefits like this and no data usage for streaming directv.

It doesn’t work very well at all.

When I say Mark, Alexa sees it as Marc.

When I was able to send a message it only sent part of it.

Ask alexa how to spell each name, then use that spelling in your name fields.

I prefer to use my Apple Watch for voice texts, but as a back up, I like this. (I do use AT&T.)

Alexa’s actual voice recognition is pretty bad. The only reason it appears to work as well as it does is there is generally a very finite list of things it is expectiong you to say. Play around with the Simon says skill. It does a terrible job repeating back what you say.

1 Like

[quote=“Todd_Whitehead, post:7, topic:63563, full:true”]
Alexa’s actual voice recognition is pretty bad. The only reason it appears to work as well as it does is there is generally a very finite list of things it is expectiong you to say. Play around with the Simon says skill. It does a terrible job repeating back what you say.[/quote]

That hasn’t been my experience at all. While it does indeed make errors from time-to-time, I’ve found the speech recognition quality to be quite good and reliable. I not only use it for a wide variety of operations, I also routinely go through the cards giving feedback, and what it heard is generally exactly what either my wife or I have said. Have you gone through the voice training?

2 Likes

One could easily create a simple Amazon Lamda function that can authenticate to to their favorite SMTP server (e.g. smtp.gmail.com) and use the address of MobilePhone#@Vtext.com. For example:

# This would be a typical command to register & permanantly store a contact name and 
# mobile phone number in an AWS database    
Alexa, ask _TextMessage_ to create {contact name} at {mobile number}

# This could be a command to send a text message to a contact or mobile phone number
Alexa, ask _TextMessage_ to send {message} to {contact name|mobile number}

If you really wanted to get fancy, one could allow OAUTH access the one’s online contact list of their cloud provider (e.g. Google Contacts) and get the mobile number given a fuzzy name match.

Favorite|Often Used phrases could be pre-defined utterances and shortered as Coming Home = “I’m on my way and comming home soon”

###-###-####@Vtext.com Documentation

Vtext.com lets you send text messages to Verizon Wireless devices from your email.

To send a text message from your email:
Create a new email.

Enter a 10-digit Verizon Wireless mobile number in the To field, and add "@vtext.com" (e.g., 9495551212@vtext.com).

Send the email and it will be delivered to the recipient’s mobile phone as a text message.

Message length is limited to 140 characters, including the email address. Currently, Vtext.com messages can only contain text. Enhanced text messages can’t be sent by email to a Verizon Wireless device using Vtext.com.

Use no more than 10 simultaneous SMTP sessions
Use no more than 10 emails per session
Use no more than 10 addresses per email

Personally, I can just as easily send a SMS text message saying, “Hey Siri” from my iPhone, iPad or MacOs

2 Likes

We use Alexa all the time to select music to play, which is a very long list of possible phrases. We have several household members who use it in this way. We’ve always found the voice recognition very good, but we did go through the voice training.

1 Like

I would estimate my hit rate to be at around 60%, and Her Ladyship’s to be at around 35%. The vast majority of the misses are when instructing Alexa to have ST do something. When using Alexa otherwise (ex: with Hue), she rarely misses.

Both of us have completed multiple voice training sessions, and the + hit rate is with both the Echo and Dot.

Sorry, I copied out of your post reply not realizing that it would attribute it to you.

I’m starting to think that newbies need to be seen and not heard.

Again, my most sincere apologies.

2 Likes

I’d have to disagree with you… I put the recognition around 95% and up… you should check out my app… it’s incredibly accurate using Alexa for TTS.

Now, I just have to figure out how to integrate this into my app…

1 Like

No problem, it’s happened to all of us. Thanks for fixing it. :sunglasses:

That’s how I spell my name (Marc). For once, someone has it right :slight_smile:

2 Likes