Alarm.com and Smart Things

I think it’s doubtful that sensor-level integration will happen any time soon; the fact that this information is available on their web site doesn’t mean that there’s an API for accessing it, or that even if there is that it can be done in a responsive fashion.

I’d be happy with access to reliably read, as well as modify, system status even if we couldn’t get actual sensor data. It would be nice to be able to make rules like:

• When the system is armed away, run the good-bye routine
  • When the state changes from armed stay to disarmed, run the good morning routine
  • If mode changes to away but the system is disarmed, generate a notification

I use Stringfy and a dedicated email account to track Alarm Status changes and have Smartthings change SHM that way. Although Mr. Schwark’s alarm.com smartapp does not go silent or set no delay.
I can still deal with Armed/Away and link it to a good-bye routine. This is setup to generate a SmartThings notification anytime Armed/Away, Armed/Stay and Disarm is set.

I would have a good morning routine as describe but I am the only one up, since school is out. In that case I still get the disarmed email and disarm SHM.

Thanks for the ideas. I’ve been resisting adding email to my automation ecosystem (it feels like the wrong tool tor the job and raises privacy/security concerns unless you proliferate multiple accounts, which has its own hassles) but I may give in and use it for this case.

Really this is something that alarm.com should be providing: support for something like IFTTT, natively instead of using hacks like email notification.

Hello everyone. I recently just set up my ST with Alarm.com. I have a solution to the problem which some people are facing re: silent arming.

Login to your alarm.com account at www.alarm.com (full website).
Under the Security tab, make sure you are looking at System Summary.
In the box titled “Arming,” here you will need to “Arm (Stay)” your system with checking the box “Silent Arming.” Carry out the command from this website.
This will make your default “Arm (Stay)” command always arm silently. (Notice if you try “Arm Stay” your system from this button again the box will already be checked.)
Now when you use your ST “Arm Stay” switch, it will arm the system silently without the beeps.

Hope this helps. Would love to hear feedback.

2 Likes

This worked for me! Thank you! I had the same thought process but I did this in the Alarm.com app and not on the website.

Silent arming works with that trick, but the no delay still does not work with this trick.

Quick note for folks who are having issues. Alarm.com uses 2-factor authentication now. If you have that turned on for your account, the SmartApp won’t be able to login to change arming state. This is a problem for Alarm.com integration with Alexa too but I worked around it by creating another user that I turned off 2-factor for but set a very long, strong password for to give me some peace of mind. I basically treat this other account as a service account and I’ve also limited what it can do and have access to on the Alarm.com site but it works fine for Alexa and an integration like this.

Great work on the integration. I’ve been bugging Alarm.com about an API integration for a while now…no luck so far and I’ve been a customer for 12 years. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m super excited about getting this to work, this will be my first SmartApp added to my SmartThings environment, but I have run into an issue…

When trying to create from code I click the Create button and it fails with this message:

No signature of method: script15023853303451849488128.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script15023853303451849488128$_run_closure1) values: [script15023853303451849488128$_run_closure1@69a41181] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any assistance getting past this hurdle would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Be sure you are copying the smartapp code into a new smartapp and the device handler code into a new device handler.

New user here, I created the website part successfully and added the alarm.com smartApp to my phone successfully, but don’t see any thing under switches. I waited hours and still nothing has shown up, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Got things setup and configured. Awesome job @schwark. Thank you so much for the integration!

One question that was posed, is there a way to have it notify or do something else if an alarm is triggered/pending?

So the switches are toggle and so one can send a ON state or OFF state command and it will do the switch command it is intended?

I second it as well. I added the code and it fully works, the switches for arming away, arm stay and disarming. Just perfect. Thank you so much…

The only thing is that the switches don’t automatically refresh…I have to manually click the refresh icon to get the latest on or off state. Anyway I can increase the polling/refresh time? Thank you for all the help.

I have the same issue. How did you resolve. I can see “Arm Away” and “Arm Stay”. I added it to the routines also. When I click, it says that the routines are completed, but actually nothing happens. How do I resolve it.

anks a lot for the app. I installed it. I can see “Arm Away” and “Arm Stay”. I added it to the routines also. When I click, it says that the routines are completed, but actually nothing happens. How do I resolve it.

How did you get the options to check “silent arm” and “delay” on the switch?

OPTIONAL:
Customize the silent arming (default on) option on either switch
Customize no entry delay (default off) option on either switch

where can i find these options? do they show up in the app or must i modify the code?

First test that it can actually arm/disarm/arm stayed from the mobile website:
https://www.alarm.com/pda/

After that, make sure the login credentials for the website are exactly the same for the app. If all else fails, remove the app completely (the instructions are on the app website) , reboot the smarrthings device and try to add it again from step one.

A workaround that Ive just implemented was to create 2 routines simulating the double press. On my simon xt, double pressing the “Doors + Windows” button arms the system in “Stay” with “No Entry Delay”. So i created a routine that arms in “Stay” and that routine triggers another with the same function which triggers “No Entry Delay” on the device

1 Like