Alarm.com and Smart Things

I’ve noticed Alarm.com has been asking me to set up 2 factor authentication whenever I login. Wonder if this is causing issues with the smartapp. I’m also seeing unsuccessful login attempt emails from Alarm.com when I attempt to install the smartapp with the correct credentials.

It’s odd I see successful logins in alarm.com history/logs both for regular polling and ad-how requests but in the smartthings api i clearly see the site is responding back to the smart app wit Forbidden errors:

something went wrong: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Forbidden

Logins to alarmdotcom are still working for me. I do not have 2FA enabled. I have a virtual switch that arms/disarms alarmdotcom with Smartrhings automatons

This has been a great solution but I seem to be having the same issues as well. Just start recently, tried uninstalling, reinstalling but things seem to just be spinning.

I deleted everything and started fresh with latest device handler. My error changed, now any attempt to interact or refresh a switch results in:
refresh: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @line 67 (refresh)
interact: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @line 58 (runCommand)

The failing line of code is:
refresh: parent.runCommand(‘STATUS’, false, false, false)
interact: parent.runCommand(state.command, settings.silent, settings.nodelay, settings.bypass)

I assume parent is referencing the SmartApp as there are no parent/child devices in this setup but not sure. I also dont see any logging from the SmartApp itself, just the device handler… hmmm certainly outside of my comfort zone at this point

Has anyone actually successfully started with a fresh install in the new app? I think I may have hosed any hope of working at this point.

All of a sudden after years of working great, my Alarm.com integration stopped working as well. Nothing happens at all :frowning:

HELP!

Since my setup is still working, I’m glad to help troubleshoot. But where to start? I suppose Device Handler code or version?

All of a sudden after years of working great, my Alarm.com integration stopped working as well. Nothing happens at all

What do you see in “Live Logging” for the arm/disarm switch or for the alarm.com device handler? (This is in Smartthings IDE)

Here is the error I am seeing in the Live Logging, similar to what jb1677 is seeing.

My Alarm.com stopped working as well. I am not able to send any commands. I am guessing it has something to due with the two-factor authentication. I have been clicking skp when I login on my phone app for now. But i am guessing when Smartthing tries to log in it is getting the two-factor authentication page and does not know what to do next.

I know form using Home Assistant, you can bypass this by imputing a cookie token. I have not yet switched over to using home assistant just yet because of other issues. Mainly i have absolutely no programing skills and it requires a little more knowledge then using Smartthings …LOL

Has anyone got this working with two-factor auth? I assumed this would never work between ST and alarm.com, so I’ve not enabled two-factor. two-factor is a complicated back/forth handshake.

I have to keep editing my post because I keep getting different results. I was on an old smartapp version, I just tried the most recent code on gihub and now get “java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException”. I went back to the old version for now.

One interesting thing - every time I use the smartApp in ST, alarm.com notifies me that the login was successful, so I don’t think it’s a two-factor authentication related issue

A solution perhaps (for now)

I bugged alarm.com about the annoying two-factor messaging every time I logged on. They responded, telling me I could contact my security provider (who you signed up with) and they can disable the prompt. After my provider disabled it, the smart app virtual device controls to arm/disarm are working

1 Like

At some point over the last few weeks, the alarm.com integration stopped working. I am not getting the two-factor prompt when I login to the web portal. The alarm.com logs are showing successful authentications although I cannot successfully run any functions (arming, disarming, or even a simple status refresh).

I tried some of the older versions of this app and ultimately started from scratch by removing the smart app and switch device handler. Still not working.

Evidently someone figured out using a similar app in Hubitat that the log in webpage automatically switches to option page for two-factor where you need to accept or skip.

So how do we fix this?

Mine stopped working too, but it didn’t have anything to do with two-factor. I have a setting in my alarm.com account to enable/disable two-factor. When I looked in the log, the smartapp could not resolve the domain name alarm.com even though it could find the IP address. This makes me think it is blocked, likely on the alarm.com side. To work around, I setup homebridge including the alarm.com plugin on a Ubuntu server(it will also run on Raspbian). Once homebridge was setup I used WebCore to directly call the homebridge API to control my alarm system. This is a complicated setup, but it does work.
I didn’t use the smartthings/homebridge integration since the smartapp currently does not put homebridge devices into smartthings.

My arm/disarm is still working, but it no longer integrates with the SmartThings Home Monitor, which is a huge bummer.

I completed deleted the Alarm.com app from the Smarttings App as well as from the web version. I then added them both per the instructions from Schwark. It is not working for me either.

I too have noticed my alarm.com/smartthings integration stop working right around when the 2FA pop up started. I first started by uninstalling and reinstalling the device handler and smart app per @schwark 's instructions. Once that did not resolve the issue I contacted my security service provider, per @crizo22 's post and they were initially not able to disable the 2FA prompts. After some persistent conversation with the rep, he contacted Alarm.com and was able to figure out how to disable it for me.
Again after uninstalling and reinstalling everything I am still unsuccessful at arming or disarming my panel.

In the Alarm.com app I can see successful login’s when I push the smartthings buttons.
In the Smartthings Log the only error I see if the following:

Any help resolving this issue is greatly appreciated!