[OBSOLETE] Aeotech Multisensor 6 (gen 5 zwave plus, model ZW100-A)

I have tried exactly what you described and was still unsuccessful. The change definitely took because it shows up in the “edit device” page, but I don’t think the device took the config. If I uninstalled and then reinstalled with the code changes already in place, it may take but I’m not ready to resort to that.

The other issue comes when I add a second sensor that requires a different offset. I could just copy the device type and make another one.

I’m wondering if part of the problem is manufacturer quality control on this, or possibly something related to firmware versions (which apparently can only be updated through the Aeotech Z-Wave PC dongle). I’ve got three of this sensor right now, all on AC. Two of them work absolutely perfectly. The third is slower to react to everything and has far worse motion sensitivity despite having identical settings to the other two.

I just purchased one and have been really disappointed due to the slow response and listed range. Should I exchange it in hopes of getting a faster device? I’m assuming they’re all on the same rev of firmware?

I can’t guarantee it’ll make a difference, I just know that one of mine works far worse than the other two.

Not sure where I could check for the firmware version, that was just one theory on my part since I don’t have the required PC adapter to update them.

There could of course be a number of other factors as well, but it does seem to me at this point like the performance of the third is definitely related to the hardware or firmware.

@kars85 and all… sorry I have been swamped at work and haven’t gotten round to my code, spending all my time working with other people’s code :slight_smile:

Weird that would have the desired effect as the setting for negative values is supposed to be 255 minus (desired value times 10) like you see in the code. The reason I have it set to 0 then the if statement, is so if you don’t select any offset it knows to keep the offset 0. An offset of positive 10 is supposed to be just 10 in the end.

I should have some time this weekend to follow up.

@Robert_Vandervoort, not a high priority but want your opinion on behavior. First, I could never get to the preferences in the app (get the generic unexpected error), so I’ve followed your steps in the equivalent IDE screens and I think I got it setup correctly with polling frequency because I get messages in live logging saying the sensor “woke up” every 5 minutes. However I’m moving the sensor from 30k lux to ~5 lux but only get the “wake up” message at the 5min interval (and motion messages in real-time). I’ll eventually get a new lux value (along with everything else), but seems to take 30+ minutes after moving from light to dark and visa versa.

Are the “wake up” messages a solid indication that the interval is setup correctly and there is another problem, or do you think the interval is not setup?

the interval seems correct but it will only include the sensor data in the report when a threshold is met. I’ve found the lux responsiveness to be sluggish. I need to check some more values. Been working on the code again all night and I’m finding the offset values aren’t taking anymore for some reason. Looks like I send them fine but when I pull the config it says otherwise. It’s odd because I’ve gotten it to work prior… Something has changed on the device maybe? Anyway, I will look into that too. sleep for now…zZZzz

I did a full reset of the sensor before re-joining it and it’s much better at reporting a more sensors at the interval or every other interval and I no longer get the “wake” message so something was different last time. Lux is sluggish as you mentioned but better than the earlier one for my purposes. Don’t lose sleep over this crap :slight_smile:

Hrmm…

Throughout the day, the reporting of all sensors slowly starts tapering off, and eventually you don’t get any data, not even for motion or tamper…we’re back to the “wake” messages being the only data coming from the device. Pulling the batteries and putting them back solves it and the sensors start reporting frequently again. Something is up. The part I don’t know is whether it’s just my device or if this is happening to everybody.

Thanks Robert, I didn’t see the action button either and the print in the manual is to small for my old eyes to read so i didn’t see the part about including the device in secure mode (double press) at the end of the manual. I now got it included in secure mode with your device driver. manual says the motion sensitivity can be set between 0-127, can the driver be configured to use the full range/sensitivity?

The printed manual is likely wrong. The engineering spec changed about 5 times until it’s form today which I am going to surmise, by my experience, is still needing some additions and corrections.

Motion sensitivity is 0, off, through 5, most sensitive.

@TheStressMachine in my recent testing I’m finding configuration parameters are not getting set. It could be my device too though. I’m going to try a reset and redo my config send and see if that fixes it.

To the wake up versus report, question they are two different things. Report interval can’t be lower than the wakeup interval but they are two different things. I make wakeup 5 minutes so that report intervals less than an hour could be had while on battery. This is destroying my battery life as a side note…

My reporting works fine then tapers off over time until it won’t even report motion or tamper anymore, so I feel like something is wrong with my unit.

Just ordered one of these today to mess around with. Not sure what I’m going to use it for yet. Might tie it in with the house to watch for motion when smartthings is armed. I don’t need it to turn on lights when someone is in a room since for those rooms I have motion activated switches (i.e. laundry room and since I installed them before I even knew about ST). I’m sure I’ll find some fun uses for this.

What are some examples that everyone is using them for?

My main use is light level. I have lighting tied to sunset but some areas of the house could use some extra lighting prior if its a rainy or overcast day, so they turn the lights on with motion only if its sorta dark outside.

2 Likes

Hi Robert, I had trouble getting the batteries so ended up powering with usb. Got code installed but can’t get the sensor to ajust the setting at all. Used dubble clicks. Tried more times then I can count. The sensor still shows temps at 89 when it’s closer to 79. Also tired to increase sensitivity of motion sensor which again can’t get sensor to take (tired to set it to 3 but it’s stuck at 1 ) do I need to calibrate it on battery not usb? Can anyone help me out? Thank you

Robert,
Thank you so much for putting the time into this. I was following this thread for a while. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased this bad boy. I evidently waited long enough that ST now has official support, but is missing many of the features i have been reading about. Initially I was confused but, i changed the device type (thanks to Gto) and now am i running 1.4 of your code. I am excited to see what it can do. Sadly i am having issues with the preferences which i assume is due to the Android app. Hopefully ST gets some updates out soon to address this and a few other issues (like setting dim level of my GE dimmers with SmartLights app)

Developers like you are what make the ST community great.

Thanks again.

I was able to get the offset to take by doing what you did in the setting then I change the device type over to the ST multisensor 6 then switch it back to RV version.

Hi Robert, I am going crazy here. I can’t seemed to time the sending of the config right.

• The sensor is joined via the “double tap” (Which is strange because the light is blue instead of green). Anyway the devices is added
  • Switched to your device type.
  • From the phone, updated the PIR to 5, hit done.
  • On the device, double tapped again, blue light came on and stayed on.
  • Hit Config on the phone app.

Then I waited for 2 minutes and checked the PIR on the edit page… goes back to 1… What am I doing wrong?

Yea, seeing the same thing with 1.4, can’t get any offset to change. My temp is off by about -6 and humidity +6 but can’t get any combination of timing or settings to work.

Still not sure why we should even have to fuss with these. I have 3 SmartThings MultiSensors and they report accurate temperatures, wondering why we have to calibrate these?

Got bored and started going over the engineering spec. I am not sure why in your device type you had the temperature and humidity subtracting from 255.

In the spec the temp calibration value says that 100=10.0 and -100=-10.0 so really all you have to do is change your math to not subtract but rather multiply by 10 for temp and do nothing for humidity:

def tempoff = 0
if (tempoffset) {
	if(tempoffset < 0) {
		tempoff=(tempoffset*10)
	}
	if(tempoffset > 0) {
		tempoff=(tempoffset*10)
	}
}
def humidityoff = 0
if (humidityoffset) {
	if(humidityoffset < 0) {
		humidityoff=(humidityoffset)
	}
	if(humidityoffset > 0) {
		humidityoff=(humidityoffset)
	}
}

I tested this raising and lower my temp and it works. The send was easy too. Just press button once quickly and then press config on the app and then in a couple of seconds the temp was updated. There is still the weird bug where it wont let you type a - sign in the app so if you need negative, do it online on your computer and then go back to the app to press the button and send the config.

Edit:
It would also seem that I was so focused on messing on getting the offset to work I didn’t even notice that once I fixed the device type, the temp was actually correct at a 0 offset. Same with humidity. Think something funky was happening since 255-(-6)=261 which is way outside the valid range of -100 to 100.