[OBSOLETE] Aeotech Multisensor 6 (gen 5 zwave plus, model ZW100-A)

Fill out all of the settings to avoid the ones you don’t set from defaulting. I’m slammed here at work or if take a crack at it now but this should fix you in the meantime. I’ll put a switch for threshold based reports too. Its operating on thresholds now. That should work fine for most folks but snore sensitive threshold might help. Humidity is a tough nut to crack because it is going to lag behind actual conditions. I would say for that use dedicated hardware like panasonics bathroom fan with built in humidity sensing would be a better fit.

@Robert_Vandervoort I understand about setting the reporting time for all sensor values. But I was reading the document you shared and parameter 40 is to turn selective reporting on or off. Then in parameters 41-45 you can configure the threshold change on humidity, temperature, luminance, etc to send an automatic report. I am assuming that this means that if the threshold for temperature was 5 degrees, the sensor would only report once the temperature had changed 5 degrees from last report. If I could knew how to code, I would add it myself, but I do not. :smile: Was hoping you could add that to your device type. Thanks for your work!

I could. I could leave the preferences set to the defaults so unless you change it they would be normal. Not a bad idea. I didn’t want to clutter up the preferences which is the main reason I didn’t add more because it was already getting busy as is. I wish SmartThings would add preference groups into device handlers like they do in smart apps. If I click the switch for “Threshold based reporting?” to on, the options show up, if not they dont. Hey @duncan do you know if that is on the roadmap or in a soon in the future spec?

1 Like

A couple days ago my sensor stopped reporting motion. My troubleshooting steps are starting to run together but I think I had been using v2.1 of @Robert_Vandervoort’s device type. It had been working after initial trouble getting the PIR settings to take. Anyways - it was working swell. Then the motion stopped.

I updated to 2.2 of the code. That didn’t help. I removed/excluded/deleted the device and started from scratch. That hasn’t produced a motion trigger.

Any ideas of other steps to try? I am very close to initiating the return process to swap this and try a Fibaro sensor.

Again- many thanks to Robert and the community! Wouldn’t be driving my wife crazy without you guys!!:smile:

@dc1515 can you verify that your pir sensitivity parameter is not set to 0? I think it is parameter 4. I would guess that somehow it got changed to 0 which disables the motion sensor. Set it to something between 1-5.

Eric- thanks for the reply -
I have been setting the value to 3 or 4 as I have been trying to experiment to see which value is best to deal with my pets.
Sadly the PIR value is not set for 0.

Hmmm, well, that’s the only thing I can think of. If you are verifying that it is actually getting changed with a “parameter get”, then I could only conclude that it is defective. The only other thing I could think of is if the sensor isn’t getting associated with the hub, but I find that very unlikely. Especially if you are getting temperature, humidity, etc. Reports. I’ve never seen a device that supports associations not properly get associated with the smartthings hub. Other hubs, yes, smartthings, no.

@erocm1231 thank you for your consideration. I am trying one more time on battery power - starting from scratch. If this doesn’t work I think I will box it up.

@dc1515 Watch the logs as you hit configure. I think this device type will send a “parameter get” right after a “parameter set”. Watching the logs will show a confirmation that the parameter is what you think it is.

Robert_Vandervoort
Love the custom device type, but I noticed that when I add sensor the app recognizes the Multi sensor 6. Making me think that smartthings has implement their own device type.
Is there a reason why people are using your custom code?
The reason I ask is because I am trying to run sensor locally and if I use smartthings device type has the potential of running locally then I can rely less on the cloud and reduce issues with automation.

Does anyone know how to disable the LED? The blue light keeps on turning on every few seconds and it is quite annoying because I use the sensor in my bedroom (to regulate the temperature via smartthings and my Nest thermostat) and the light bothers me at night. I tried putting some black tape to block the LED but the light still passes through the semi transparent dome. Any way to disable it in software?
Thanks in advance to anyone who might know.

According to the documentation for the device, there is no way to disable the LED. The Fibaro Motion Sensor has the capability on the other hand.

If all you care about is temp, just grab a MultiSensor. Cheaper, better report intervals, better battery life, smaller, easier to mount.

http://amzn.com/B0118RQW3W

My type allows you to report in 5 minute intervals as well as reporting all of the sensors outputs like UV and vibration. It also has debug logging and handles all available functionality of the sensor where as the smart things type does not, or at least did not last I looked at it.

I recently checked, it has improved a bit since I got the sensor and supports all 5 sensors but you can’t adjust all thresholds, there is no tile for tamper\vibration, and there is no config tile for sending parameters.

I just went through my first set of batteries after about 3mo on 5min interval. I know the possibility is there to do threshold reporting so if you beat me to it would love to see that implemented, otherwise I may take a stab at it here in a week or two.

Somewhere on this thread (or maybe it was the 1st gen battery powered aeotec energy meter) it was mentioned that threshold reporting only works when operated as a powered device. Has anyone received confirmation one way or another from aeon labs on this important tidbit?

I do not believe that to be the case as it would be more energy efficient in most use cases to only send data when necessary. The spec sheet makes no mention of this.

It looks like all we need to do is send parameters 40-45 to enable this, shouldn’t be too difficult.

I just read the engineering spec — the threshold feature is to reduce network traffic only. You still must configure the time between reports and this is going to chew battery. Essentially, you are thinking about it backwards — there isn’t a way to configure it to ‘only wake up if the temperature increases by 0.4F’, but rather, 'wake up, and only send the temperature report if the change is greater than 0.4F".

As in, there is no external chip that is going to send an ‘interrupt’ signal to wake the chip to send the data, but rather, a ‘watchdog timer’ that wakes the chip to read the sensors and report at the configured variable time. The exception to this is the PIR portion which does issue an interrupt.

That does indeed make it confusing since 40 says it is to reduce network traffic, as you say. While in 41 it says Threshold change in temperature to “induce an automatic report”…“induce a temperature report to be sent out”

I am still not convinced which of us is correct, guess we just try it out and see…

I purchased two ZW100-A sensors and started down the path of setup with ST. I am new to ST, so it has been a learning experience. I also purchased a ZStick and updated the firmware to v 1.06. I have noticed that the engineering doc isn’t consistent with the ST stock DeviceType. I put in multiple versions of RV’s DeviceType for a little while with good results. However, the motion enable/disable and PIR sensitivity seems to work with the ST stock DeviceType better.

As such I took the stock DeviceType, added RV’s temp and humidity offsets, added the functionality to stay awake for 10min upon battery power up, and changed the Group 1 reporting bits to what makes sense from the Engineering Doc.

If you want to try it out, the link is here:

(removed)

And much Thanks to @Robert_Vandervoort