Aeotech Multisensor 6 (gen 5 zwave plus, model ZW100-A)

I have been using this device type with my Aeon multi-sensor and it is working great! I was reading through the engineering manual that you posted @Robert_Vandervoort. I saw that you can configure the change threshold on which the different sensors will update their values regardless of the reporting interval. Would it be possible to add this to the device code so that I can configure my sensor to update when humidity raises and lowers above/below a certain value? Would also like to configure the lux value threshold. Thank you so much!

I was curious about the same thing. I pulled the product manual and looked through the device type that RV created. There are thresholds that trigger data reporting for each measurement. These are not implemented in RV’s device type from what I can see. You would have to add that functionality. I have been toying around with doing that, but I am not sure that would buy us much. My sensor seems to be fairly consistent about providing updates in 15 min intervals unless there was a state of change event that fired a report earlier. It then appears to group them around the 15 min windows again on it’s own.

My reasoning for needing a faster update is I would like the bathroom fan to automatically come on when the shower is started. I would like the sensor to send an update as soon as it senses a significant jump in humidity so the fan can be triggered on, then off once humidity value drops again.

I am also having the issue with offsets and PIR sensitivity saving. I will keep an eye out for the magic trick. So far none of these solutions have worked 100% of the time for me.
The PIR sensitivity is hurting the WAF for me as it keeps resetting to 1 and the lights are supposed to stay on when motion is detected. I get called into the LR when she is sitting there in the dark. Not a good look. :worried:

Edit: forgot to mention many thanks to @Robert_Vandervoort for his work on this device!!

I haven’t test the change. However, in earlier ST release of the device type, there were a statement related that threshold reporting is not working on battery power, which is definetely odd, as threshold reporting should be efficient than a fixed amount of time (unless threshold is actually very small).

I plan to test that over the weekend.

So here’s the deal. The settings go blindly over the air. There is a possibility the device doesn’t “hear” the setting when it comes over. There is also an issue where the preferences don’t save from edit to edit which I know how to fix. There is this slow evolution in my code from device type to device type as I learn and this was the first one I did. Hence, the long history, many versions, etc.

What NEEDS to happen, is I need to put code in that writes the configuration value, tests that it was written, and if it was not, tries again… You get no acknowledgement from these devices… It’s not like I can say “hey sensor, change this value to 5 ok?” and the sensor says back “ok dude, setting is changed.” You have to say “change this to X” … “what is the value? is it X? no? well change it dammit!!”… Imagine working with a mute construction crew… lol… Anyway, it’s on the road map folks.

The other things about threshold reporting… If your sensor is indoors, getting reports every few minutes generally isn’t something you care about because the environment shouldn’t change. That is, unless you’re using the sensor to control A/C or heat or vent dampers or humidifiers or lighting… oh hey, tons of stuff! This is why I changed the alert reporting interval and wakeup interval to 5 minutes. The downside of this is it DESTROYS the batteries in short order. If you’re doing these frequent sends, you want to use USB power. They had it default so that you could not change the interval to less than an hour on battery for this exact reason. Imagine someone buying it, having it work great for a week and then dying, eating those expensive tactical flashlight batteries… sucky.

On the note of temp reporting. The temp is actually generally quite accurate. If you shoot the unit with a laser thermometer you can verify this. If you run on USB power the device generates heat and as such tends to run between 3-5 degrees warmer.

…here’s something odd. I have three of these, but only have the one in my office mounted with the supplied bracket. It shows “tampered” until triggered by motion. When motion triggers it, the tampered tile resets to green, as soon as motion clears it’s red again. It’s mounted above my office door…it’s not moving anywhere!

Doesn’t affect usage, but it’s odd.

Thanks for the layman’s summary. Helpful to think about it.

I am running mine on USB and have a temp offset of -7. What is hurting my home life is the repeated return to default PIR setting of 1. I will keep at it.

Can you confirm (I think I missed) the steps to adjust settings are:
Tap edit device, edit the necessary settings, tap done, tap config?

Again- thanks for the work on this!

Fill out all of the settings to avoid the ones you don’t set from defaulting. I’m slammed here at work or if take a crack at it now but this should fix you in the meantime. I’ll put a switch for threshold based reports too. Its operating on thresholds now. That should work fine for most folks but snore sensitive threshold might help. Humidity is a tough nut to crack because it is going to lag behind actual conditions. I would say for that use dedicated hardware like panasonics bathroom fan with built in humidity sensing would be a better fit.

@Robert_Vandervoort I understand about setting the reporting time for all sensor values. But I was reading the document you shared and parameter 40 is to turn selective reporting on or off. Then in parameters 41-45 you can configure the threshold change on humidity, temperature, luminance, etc to send an automatic report. I am assuming that this means that if the threshold for temperature was 5 degrees, the sensor would only report once the temperature had changed 5 degrees from last report. If I could knew how to code, I would add it myself, but I do not. :smile: Was hoping you could add that to your device type. Thanks for your work!

I could. I could leave the preferences set to the defaults so unless you change it they would be normal. Not a bad idea. I didn’t want to clutter up the preferences which is the main reason I didn’t add more because it was already getting busy as is. I wish SmartThings would add preference groups into device handlers like they do in smart apps. If I click the switch for “Threshold based reporting?” to on, the options show up, if not they dont. Hey @duncan do you know if that is on the roadmap or in a soon in the future spec?

1 Like

A couple days ago my sensor stopped reporting motion. My troubleshooting steps are starting to run together but I think I had been using v2.1 of @Robert_Vandervoort’s device type. It had been working after initial trouble getting the PIR settings to take. Anyways - it was working swell. Then the motion stopped.

I updated to 2.2 of the code. That didn’t help. I removed/excluded/deleted the device and started from scratch. That hasn’t produced a motion trigger.

Any ideas of other steps to try? I am very close to initiating the return process to swap this and try a Fibaro sensor.

Again- many thanks to Robert and the community! Wouldn’t be driving my wife crazy without you guys!!:smile:

@dc1515 can you verify that your pir sensitivity parameter is not set to 0? I think it is parameter 4. I would guess that somehow it got changed to 0 which disables the motion sensor. Set it to something between 1-5.

Eric- thanks for the reply -
I have been setting the value to 3 or 4 as I have been trying to experiment to see which value is best to deal with my pets.
Sadly the PIR value is not set for 0.

Hmmm, well, that’s the only thing I can think of. If you are verifying that it is actually getting changed with a “parameter get”, then I could only conclude that it is defective. The only other thing I could think of is if the sensor isn’t getting associated with the hub, but I find that very unlikely. Especially if you are getting temperature, humidity, etc. Reports. I’ve never seen a device that supports associations not properly get associated with the smartthings hub. Other hubs, yes, smartthings, no.

@erocm1231 thank you for your consideration. I am trying one more time on battery power - starting from scratch. If this doesn’t work I think I will box it up.

@dc1515 Watch the logs as you hit configure. I think this device type will send a “parameter get” right after a “parameter set”. Watching the logs will show a confirmation that the parameter is what you think it is.

Robert_Vandervoort
Love the custom device type, but I noticed that when I add sensor the app recognizes the Multi sensor 6. Making me think that smartthings has implement their own device type.
Is there a reason why people are using your custom code?
The reason I ask is because I am trying to run sensor locally and if I use smartthings device type has the potential of running locally then I can rely less on the cloud and reduce issues with automation.

Does anyone know how to disable the LED? The blue light keeps on turning on every few seconds and it is quite annoying because I use the sensor in my bedroom (to regulate the temperature via smartthings and my Nest thermostat) and the light bothers me at night. I tried putting some black tape to block the LED but the light still passes through the semi transparent dome. Any way to disable it in software?
Thanks in advance to anyone who might know.

According to the documentation for the device, there is no way to disable the LED. The Fibaro Motion Sensor has the capability on the other hand.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.