[REVIEW] Aeotec Multisensor 6 works a treat (2019)

Just thought I would write a quick review on the Aeotec Multisensor 6.

I was trying to use the smart weather illuminance to determine when it got dark and therefore use in the pistons that control my lights. I was having real difficulty as the reported LUX was not particularly accurate and the update frequency was rather sporadic at best.

I read on here somewhere that someone was using the Aeotec Multisensor 6 and that they had good results from it, so I jumped on Amazon and ordered one which got delivered today.

I have to say I am very impressed with it, especially when hooked up to the advance DTH provided by Eric Maycock (erocm123)

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-aeon-multisensor-6-advanced/52258

Using the ST built in device type did not work for me, so I hunted down the one above and installed it as per usual and instantly was greeted with a wealth of options that at first seemed rather daunting but after an hour of playing with it I was very happy with the results.

I now have the lights coming on and going off when the LUX outside my house hits a certain level. Wife is now happy that the lights are doing what I promised they would :smile: and you know what they say… Happy wife… Happy Life :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been using mine (for over 18mths now) specifically to control lighting using lux level as the trigger. No problems at all.
I too use Eric’s (@erocm1231) DTH and am glad I can make the sensor report every minute (as opposed to every 8 minutes as offered by the standard handler). This ensures lights behave as you would want them, and does not leave you in the dark when light levels drop quickly.
Just wish ST’s handler would allow for 1 minute reporting and then I could operate locally…

Do you have your plugged into USB for it to work every minute?

Hi Neil

Yes. The sensor must be plugged in for reporting as frequently as 1 minute.

yeah I knew it had to be plugged in for that, I just wondered if you had set it to that interval on battery and wondered what the battery life was like. I have mine plugged in

Mine’s always been plugged in. It’s near a power outlet, so a no-brainer for me.

I set mine up before I decided where I wanted it, once I decided it was a good thing that it was beside the power, so that’s when I plugged it in. I now get 60 second updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone interested, here is a graph I produced this morning from the Lux value changing from about 3:30pm last night to about 9:15am this morning. I am in the UK and heading into winter. Also note that this Lux sensor is indoors pointing out a window, so the real Lux is actually a bit higher than that recorded ,but it works perfectly for what I need it for.

1 Like

Decided to go back a little further into yesterday afternoon for the data.

I really cannot recommend this sensor enough, has made such a difference to my light pistons (in webcore), I can now use the Lux value rather than a set time of night/day to turn lights on or off.

1 Like