[OBSOLETE] Aeotec Home Energy Meter Gen 5 composite DTH

Getting this error when trying to install the smart apps. Can not get any of them to install.

I randomly got the unit to enter secure mode. It is a Gen5

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

make sure you are installing as a device handler, not a smart app

3 Likes

Wow I am so used to going into SmartApps. I completely overlooked this!! Thank you

So for the voltage it is only showing 120 when I have it hooked up to 240. And sometimes the Wattages on the main is not correct when adding the two children wattages up.

Depending on the settings the wattages for different clamps etc are reported on different time intervals so they will sometimes not add up to the total wattage.

When it comes to it reporting 120V on 240V circuit - I have no idea. If it’s a Gen 5 meter it should report correctly (mine does). I know that some older version had to be configured with proper voltage and didn’t measure it on it’s own but this DTH is not designed for this older version.

I’ve been fighting with my two phase HEM unit for a few weeks now. I’ve tried your DTH and the one referenced by Aeotec from their Web site.

Following is the device information:

zw:Ls type:3101 mfr:0086 prod:0102 model:005F ver:1.31 zwv:3.92 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,98,56 ccOut:5A sec:32,60,70,59,85,7A,73 role:05 ff:9000 ui:9000 epc:2 ep:[‘3101 32’]

I have the sub-DTH applied for the clamps and they are listed.

The SmartThings app says SYNC INCOMPLETE no matter how many times I change the settings and all I see is a wattage tile and the total kWh. The clamps aren’t reporting anything either. I’m all out of ideas and any help is appreciated.

Please enable logging in settings,run synchronization one more time and paste logs here.

Hello, thanks for this DTH. Much better than the other one I was using. However, I am not showing anything on the Clamp 2 child device. Is this normal? I believe it is still reading the clamp, but not displaying.

Depends on the configuration of parameters, it is possible for the meter to not report clamp 2 but still report the whole HEM value properly.

@ClassicGOD

Thanks for the device handler info. I created the device handlers for the main and child type devices for my Aeotec gen5 energy meter and everything seemed to function properly except for being able to reset the kwh’s.

When I press reset kwh’s it doesn’t rest the total amount used since reset. It would also be helpful if a date and time was listed to know when the values were last reset. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again.

I implemented a safety in this DTH for resetting kWh readings because i thought it was too easy to reset. To reset them you have to tap the reset button 2 or 3 times in a span of 2 seconds.

I tried pressing several time within the 2-3 second interval multiple times because I saw that you had mentioned that. I had to remove the device but will try again once reinstalled.

Assuming you are in the US, residential service in the US is actually 120v. The reason its probably reading 120v is because the transformer on the pole outside that transforms your line voltage of 6800/7200 (or other depending on your municipality) is actually delivering 120v at any given time. Each leg of service in residential is 120v that are 180 degrees out of phase, so “240v” service is actually +120v and -120v. I could go on about the lack of neutral required for 240v circuits and all that jazz but Id bore you. :wink:

As an aside, I updated my DTH tonight because I have, within the past month, experienced my meter stop responding to commands complete. Hoping this resolves it.

For some strange reason the “2. Power and energy mode” is not available by default in the settings menu. I noticed that they were all slashed out when I looked in the device handlers. I have removed the slashes and it appeared in the settings again and I’m able to select 0,1,2 or 3 as an option.

When I do I get the “sync incomplete” on the primary/combined HEM. Clamp 1,2,3 appear to have no issues syncing.

The main reason that I’m trying to enable this function is because I have a solar system on one of my 3 phases which appears to be calculating KwH I correctly. The current W displayed appears to be correct.

It appears that if 1 of the phases is negative (returning energy to grid) it calculates it as a positive in the total KwH useage.

It’s commented out for a reason - the parameter was removed from the device in newer firmware versions. If I remember correctly it was there in FW 1.0 (3 clamp version) but was gon after update to 1.02. Aeotec support told me it should be able to calculate everything correctly without this parameter and confirmed that it was removed on purpose in newer firmware versions.

Due to the fact that the HEM does not return value when queried for this parameter the sync can not complete and will forever show “sync incomplete”.

Negative power/wattage values are being correctly displayed, However the total energy consumption will never decrease. Neither on the clamp itself or in the total KWh. I have tried resetting to 0 and have the same results. Just checked my version and I have version 1.02. Is there any easy way to update the firmware

To update you’ll need USB z-wave interface (UZB1, SmartStick+, or Aeotec Z-Stick) and update file from Aeotec support.

AFAIK 1.02 is the newest version. I don’t know if there is a possibility of downgrade but even if there is I would not recommend it as 1.00 was less stable.

First of all Thanks @ClassicGOD for this wonderful DTH. I have a question regarding handling solar power. I noticed when I have solar generation the power goes very high
 Also the reported total energy usage is sum of utility power consumed plus solar backfeed
 Someone found a workaround on Homeseer.

Is there a way we can update device handler on smartthings?

Also why is this part commented out:

//[key: “detectionMode”, num: 2, size: 1, type: “enum”, options: [
// 0: “0 - power, energy absolute value”,
// 1: “1 - positive/negative power, algebraic sum energy”,
// 2: “2 - positive/negative power, energy positive part”,
// 3: “3 - positive/negative power, energy negative part”],
// def: “0”, title: “Power and Energy mode”,
// descr: “For parameters of 101 ~ 103, power, energy detection mode configuration”], //WTF aotec?

Like your comment “WTF Aeotec” :slight_smile:

Just purchased an Aeotec HEM Gen5 and have installed the following device handlers:
ClassicGOD Aeotec HEM Gen5
ClassicGOD Aeotec HEM Gen5 Child Device

I started the “Add Thing” process and then pushed the button on the HEM unit. It flashed for a few seconds and then stayed on solid. I assumed from this that the unit was connected. However, I don’t see a device in my list of things.

I appreciate any assistance.

1 Like