Aeotec Aeon Smart Switch 6

As mentioned above, this device works with Smartthings (for me version 1 of the hub) using the Aeon Smart Energy Switch device type. Press action button labeled in the following manual and connect the device… http://www.homecontrols.com/homecontrols/products/pdfs/AE-AeonLabs/AEZW096A02-Manual.pdf

Adding the custom device should help, yes.

Robert,

Thanks for your work. I have added my 2 smart switches as custom devices using your code. I am unable to change the LED color. Do I have to set the LED Behavior = 2 to change the color. Also does the configure button work within the ST app?

color change only works in “nightlight mode” The other modes use colors to represent power levels and they are not changeable.

going through my messages… seems ST emails get lost in my sea of emails these days.

Yeah, the color change is only for the night light mode as @Ron says. As far as changing the color using a smart app, I have never tried to do it. Also my switch died mysteriously after having controlled my air purifier for quite some time. I blame it on my wife’s hair straightener and hair dryer which are on the same circuit… Perhaps Aeon didn’t built surge suppression into the units? I do have surge suppressors everywhere and even a whole home one on the panel… but… I digress.

I think what would need to happen is for a handler to be created inside the device type to receive and translate the color commands coming from the smart app. The reason you see it in your apps is because it has the capability “color control”. This ma create a bit of a false sense of functionality though. In my device type I take the RGB selector in the device screen and translate that to the RGB codes used in the configuration parameter that corresponds to the night light color. That was the cleanest way i could hack that into the UI. For a bulb, when you select the color and saturation and color temp, etc, it translates that into a Z-wave command class for color control and throws that at the bulb which in turn does the work… What we’d need is sort of the opposite here. Code that would parse the command coming in from the smart app and translate that into the configuration parameter like I’m doing now… so instead of an action / command from the tile, it would be parsing the command from the app. There should be some reusable code in the device type to accomplish that, but I could only test with my dimmer. Also making the time to do this is tough with current job / family obligations. Hopefully this helps someone else figure it out until / if I ever get to it.

Here’s my contribution as well, it is based on existing code. I’ve added a preference screen, allowing to set the param and time interval as well as other couple other switches. Brighness color level got fixed as well.

@tobycth3. Here is that thread.

1 Like

Is it possible to change the LED color based on a trigger using SmartLights App?

I installed @jbisson DTH, but no luck figuring it out.

@Scott_Barton this should be possible. However, It doesn’t work for me either. The event passed in to the device handler does not contains the actual color value. Here’s what I’m getting in the setColor event map:
[switch:on, hue:25, saturation:100, level:80]. Notice there is no color in there. Based on this documentation, it should: http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html

Seems like a SmartLight app bug or a ST hub bug at this point. Someone from smartthing could maybe comment on this one on why the color attribute is not being passed in.

Also, you might want to update my code, I’ve added a bunch of useful stuff in the parameters section.

I believe that is the color. What you’re looking for and not finding is the “hex” key in that map, but the Hue/Saturation/Level defines the color; H25/S100/L80 should be in the neighborhood of #CCFF99.

The documentation is unclear, especially, around which attributes should be there and which one are optionals. Based on the documentation http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#color-control we should have 3 attributes: hue, saturation and color. Color Options should have: hue,saturation, hex, level, switch.

That being said, is there any helper function to contruct an RGB color value based on hue/saturation/level?

The color attribute is a map with the potential keys hue, saturation, hex, level, switch, which is consistent with the event map you are getting, except that it does not contain a k-v for “hex”. From context I am assuming that the k-v “level” is the “color” level component of a HSL tuple since there’s no reason to have a switch level value in a color map.

You may get some mileage from the pseudocode at this site with the caveat that ST gives you Hue as a percent value (0-100) not in degrees (0-359).

@Scott_Barton I’ve uploaded a new version which addressed the bug.

seems to be working now. I’ve used colorUtil.hslToHex which seems to have worked quite well. However, I couln’d find any documentation around it, hidden util class?

I’m using the Aeon Smart Switch, not the Smart Dimmer. This DTH seems to act as if it is a dimmer, not an on/off switch. On all my other on/off switches, when I turn it on, it immediately turns it on and changes the value to On. On my dimmers when I turn it on, it says Turning On first, takes a while to actually turn on and then after it is to the correct level it changes the value to On,
Your DTH for the Aeon Smart Switch says Turning On and takes a while for it to actually turn on. Sometimes it doesn’t actually turn on or off and then it gets confused as to what state it actually is. I experienced similar behavior when I first added the Smart Switch (before installing your DTH) and it came up with Z-Wave Metering Dimmer. When I switched it to Z-Wave Metering Switch, it fixed all the issues.

Can you update this DTH to act as an On/Off switch only. I see there is also a level settings which does nothing for the Aeon Smart Switch.

Smart Switch - http://aeotec.com/z-wave-plug-in-switch
Smart Dimmer - http://aeotec.com/z-wave-plug-in-dimmer
Look the same but are different.

Thanks!

This device handler works for the Smart Switch (I don’t have any Smart Dimmer to try it).

Do you have the smart switch or the smart dimmer? I’m a bit confused as you said that you switched to z-wave metering switch and it fixed your issue.

As for the level, it acts as the brightness and only works in energy mode. You can click on the energy icon to flip to energy mode. The level should now starting to work.

I have the SmartSwitch. However the DTH acts as if it is a dimmer.
Instead of turning on immediately when you use the ST app, it says turning on and then can take several seconds to turn on and sometimes it doesn’t actually turn on.

That’s the expected behavior. There is a delay between you press the button and the switch turn off. That delay should be pretty quick (1-2secs). However, this should always work.Everytime you press on the button, it sends a request in the cloud to smartthing, come back at the hub and send a z-wave to the switch. There is not much we can do about it at this point. Seems like a bad internet connection or z-wave interference.

You could try to load a difference device handler but I really dough it will change anything.

Why do you say it act as a dimmer?

I have the same problem as @Scott_Barton.

I configured the switch using your device handler which I need to get timely updates on the energy usage.

But actually turning the unit on or off does not work that well. Switching the device to zwave metering switch causes the on and off to work almost instantly.

Thanks!!!

@jbisson - I am having the same issue (they do not respond) with two units that were misbehaving using the device handler suggested by Aeon and therefore I was trying out your DTH.

This is the error messaage I see over an over in my logs:

4:27:21 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script1478206571997672127907.zwaveEvent() is applicable for argument types: (physicalgraph.zwave.commands.securityv1.SecurityMessageEncapsulation) values: [SecurityMessageEncapsulation(commandByte: [33, 100, 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 68, 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0], commandClassIdentifier: 50, commandIdentifier: 2, reserved13: 0, secondFrame: false, sequenceCounter: 0, sequenced: false)]
Possible solutions: zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicSet), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.configurationv1.ConfigurationReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.firmwareupdatemdv2.FirmwareMdReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.hailv1.Hail), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.manufacturerspecificv2.DeviceSpecificReport) @ line 197

Any idea what is causing the issue? I just can’t seem to find a DTH for the SS6 that will not mess up my zwave network.

Also, I noticed that the fingerprint seems incorrect for the SS6 I have…

The DTH has:

// Base on New Z-Wave Fingerprint Format
fingerprint mfr: “134”, prod: “259”, model: “96”
fingerprint type: “1001”, cc: “26,32”

But when I look at what the device reports I see:

zw:Ls type:1001 mfr:0086 prod:0103 model:0060 ver:1.03 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,98 ccOut:5A,82 sec:25,26,33,70,27,32,81,85,59,7A,73 role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

Therefore I believe 3 values should be changed to… mfr: “0086”, prod: “0103”, model: “0060” (initial zeros can be omitted) if you have the AEON branded version of this switch.

The data above is confirmed in part here:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1312

…and here:

http://z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/SDS13740-1-Z-Wave-Plus-Device-and-Command-Class-Types-and-Defines-Specification.pdf

0x0134 is the MFG ID for AT&T so you may have used a rebranded version for your development… I believe you can add the data I provided along with the data you used to make it work for both variants.

// Base on New Z-Wave Fingerprint Format
fingerprint mfr: “134”, prod: “259”, model: “96” //AT&T rebrand
fingerprint mfr: “86”, prod: “103”, model: “60” //Aeon brand
fingerprint type: “1001”, cc: “26,32”

Also I noticed something weird regarding class “32”. It is the METER class so it should be there but my devices are not reporting it (however they are also not working properly at the moment). The silly ST hub v2 insists on recognizing them as Aeon LED Bulbs… which I believe is also when I started having nightmares with my two SS6 devices.

I had one switch working yesterday and another refusing to respond. Then later I noticed the off command I had sent much earlier got issued because the switch was off when it should have been on. So I tested again and it’s working again. Typical ST phantom issues.