Aeon Micro Dimmer with Adorne Legrand Touch Dimmer

Well then I guess here’s to hoping that something else comes out that will be more versatile than the Aeon. I’m now about 35% of the way through replacing my decora switches with adorne plates and switches. The problem is, I’ve used a lot of GE zwave dimmers for recessed LED lighting and don’t want to go to a simple on/off for those. So seems like all my GE smart dimmers and their plates will have to stay… So I’m half-way in but not able to finish this out…not good for WAF.

Maybe this will be for you when it comes out -

This isn’t a versatility issue with the aeons, you’re trying to take a standard dumb dimmer and convert into an HA dimmer, it’s not going to happen.

Then what would be the use case of the aeon micro dimmer, for what other purpose would you use it? What other usages would there be for something like that if not to take a dumb dimmer and make it zwave compatible?

The aeon is an in wall dimmer, it is a dimmer in it’s own right, it was designed to allow the the user to choose the control switch of their choice, be that a standard toggle, a decora paddle, a legrand paddle, or some other push button…
It was not designed to take an existing dimmer and zwave enable it.

There is no such thing as a dumb dimmer conversion module.

So basically Aeon is thinking: someone will stick this in a wall, put a dumb on/off switch on top of it and then manipulate the dimmer only via zwave ? Seems to be very short sighted design… It would be really interesting to see the Aeon dimmers in action, who has actually installed one and actively using it…

Putting a toggle switch on an aeon dimmer doesn’t disable the dimmer function, the aeon still is a dimmer whos level can and is controlled by the toggle. Now granted, that dimming function isn’t as slick as a slider. Using a momentary push button it’s much more natural, which is why I came up with the adorne paddle hack in the first place.
And BTW, every in wall switch or dimmer works the same way, they require an external switch to to control them locally.

If you do HA correctly in your home, you won’t be using your physical switches very often, if at all.

I have at least 30 aeon dimmers and switches in my home, in single, three and 4 way configurations, so I do have some vague idea of what I’m discussing here.
If I were to redo my lighting, or start from scratch, I would implement it exactly the way I have already done.

Oh!!! So you are still able to dim via the push button hack! Got it. I agree with you in principle of course, if programmed and scened properly physical interaction with the switch should be minimal, but keeping the WAF in mind, I wouldn’t be able to get away with not having dimming capability on the wall…

Thanks Mike! Very helpful. Going to try this out tonight!

@litlmikeyb
here’s a video video of my three way aeon-adorne paddle in action…

2 Likes

So Mike, I got it all connected and used the paddle switch hack. Using ZWave I’m all set its working properly, but using the paddle it just reacts to the push but then reverts back to the previous state. So either turns on momentarily while I’m pressing down and then turns back off as soon as I let go or turns off and turns back on…

Did I screw up in the hack, wiring or do I need to change the dimmer mode?

Figured it out… Just needed to switch the dimmer mode… Pretty nice setup… Thanks again Mike!

1 Like

Mike,

Need your advice once again… I’ve been using your recommended setup and have installed out several dimmers throughout the house… Doing a an Aeon switch now and got it working (controlling lights via zwave), but once I add the paddle switch the physical on/off isn’t working. I’ve tried changing the Aeon switch mode but still no luck. I checked both of the wires coming out of the Aeon switch and both are carrying current (seems odd). Any ideas what cold be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance!

are you using a the paddle hacks?, ie momentary or toggle switches?
Is this a three way or one way dimmer setup…

one way, switch setup, was using the hack you recommended. but now what i did is just take an un-hacked paddle switch and put it on top of the aeon switch and it’s working perfectly…

the only concern is that without the hack, the on/off switch states for the paddle are now going to be a bit weird since the light may be “on” while the paddle shows off…

well, either the paddle didn’t get hacked, or the aeon didn’t get set to momentary in the device type.
Are you using my device type?, it allows you to change the connected switch type…
The aeons function needs to be changed over so it knows it’s connected to a momentary switch.

Once you set the parameter in preferences you can switch back to whatever device handler you like…

Yeah I switch the modes on the AEON switch a bunch of times and it kept reacting the same way to the hacked paddle… I actually tried two different hacked paddles just to make sure it wasn’t a badly hacked paddle… Regardless i don’t think I will be using that paddle very often if ever (that light is on a very tight schedule) so not a big deal…

Another question for you… you mentioned that your setup works with a 4-way configuration… Anything special to keep in mind for that?

I don’t understand why it’s not working…
Makes no sense, I have 30 of these in my house…
Are you sure that the paddle got tweaked the correct way?, the tab that needs to be bent is the one closest to the hole for the auxiliary LED…
You then connect the aeon to the terminals hot and 1-pole.
If you bent the other tab, then you can use the terminals hot and 3-way on the switch.

Anyway, the 4 way setup is just like the three way one, but requires a relay for use with momentary switches.
Here’s the schematic I used, a few posts from the top

Yeah me neither man… Very strange. I have now installed several of these (aeon dimmers with hacked paddles) and all work perfectly based on your instructions. I bent the top tab (closes to the hole) and was using the hot and 1-pole. This is the first switch that I’ve done (the others were dimmers), but that shouldn’t matter obviously. It’s just not behaving the same way. But I have bent all of them the same exact way, so no idea why it’s not working…

I’m going try another one here in a bit, may have to record my steps and show you, because now I’m just perplexed as to why it’s not working…

ok, well if you did a few already and they work, we can rule that out eh?
Could be that you have a bum aeon, or it’s not taking the config parameters…
There is a way to set the switch type on the aeon using the button on the device, just don’t remember, I think you press and hold for 6 seconds, and like 10 to reset it entirely…
I doubt at this point that its an issue with the paddles that you’ve hacked…

Mike, on a several occasions, I could not convince dimmers to listen to your DTH and resorted to the button pressing. You hold it for like 2 seconds until the LED flashes.

1 Like