[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Garage Door Controller

Well… I’m lucky if my garage door opener responds. Sometimes it works real well but there’s always a big delay because it is a couple hops away from the hub. So, for me anyway, thisbuse case wouldn’t really be feasible. I think the controller handles some logic behind the scenes too. That may keep this use case from working properly. I know several people have used an LFM-20 (super overkill) with a modified switch device handler to do what you’re wanting. The modified handler has a “momentary” push button function which basically sends an on then an off signal immediately afterwards. That makes the app button press act just like the wall button. You could do similar by inserting a times delay in between the on/off sets. Like on off delay… on off With a user definable input you could even fine tune how much open you end up with.

So for this purpose I would instead recommend an Aaron micro switch. They are quite small and have an external antenna and good response times and they are capable of secure inclusion which, you should want in a garage door device. The unit would be mounted in the ceiling box with you garage door power plug and you would run a wire inside to the switch from the remote control terminals of the garage door opener. There are a couple threads here about using a switch like this.

And back to your original question., I’d have to fiddle with it. I can take another look at the engineering sheet and see if there is some combination of options that might work.

WHen i removed the sensor i can stop the door ,but the alarm is back on even if i have modified the dh.Tell me if you find something in the engeenering sheet
Thanks

To those wondering about the US Launch, I did notice the device got US Z-Wave Certification on August 11th. Still not sure on timing, but it’s one step closer!

1 Like

I’m seeing these on eBay from China. They claim to be the US version. Are those legit?

Yes i bought one from this seller. Im in canada,but its the same frequency as in the us… I also use the dh from rboy . I have one more option in that dh ,i think is the battery reporting or the refresh button , dont remember…

Mark - did you pair the sensor first and then added the device to ST? Or the other way around? I’m having your exact same issue but can’t get it to work.

I’m pairing using the big square button on top of the controller (holding for five secs).

Did you pair right next to the ST hub? I’m. About 10ft away from the hub (and through a wall).

I’m just getting “unknown” all the time.

Thanks for your help.

Marc, when you say “not responding to button push” do you mean that the garage door should open if one presses the big button on the controller? Even if not paired?

look on the back of the garage door controller… there is a small action button, that is what you double tap quick to pair it… the big lighted button isn’t for pairing.

2 years and still not available in the US. Last they said was there was some Patent issue. Not sure if they’ve given up on the US market for this or not. Sad, I would have bought one of these along with all my clients and family.

1 Like

I was having issue with status.
Turns out my battery was defective.

With new battery it is working fine.

That’s good to hear. I’m amazed mine is still plugging away. I don’t open the garage every day but it’s been quite some time now. Watch it die tomorrow…

Finally, I did get mine delivered today. Can you guys point me to the steps to add it to my SmartThings? I am new to dh in general.

I’m also kinda stuck. I added the DH to my Samsung v2 ST hub, but not following the manual adding of a device through the IDE, it’s prompting for the Network Device ID. I figured it might work same as other devices where all I have to do is add the DH, then search for devices. Unfortunately, the controller doesn’t show up in there. I’ve factory defaulted, power cycled, etc. No joy.

I don’t think the exclude applies here because the device has never shown up in the ST app, nor has it been included so there’s nothing to exclude.

Any pointers?

I was able to get it to work. For others who might be interested, I followed RV’s github code and created a new DH from code. I then powered on the controller and set the device type on the website. It worked great. Thanks everyone and particularly @Robert_Vandervoort

1 Like

Of course, as soon as I wrote this, I figured it out. The instructions say if the LED is blinking, then it’s ready to be included. This is not true. Somewhere in this thread, @Robert_Vandervoort said to quickly double tap the network button. This didn’t work for me until I took the unit within a few feet of my hub, then it worked beautifully. It did show up as a smart switch, so I went through the whole process, then went to the IDE and selected the appropriate DH linked here and, so far, all appears to be working properly.

Pro tip, for anyone that may run in to the same physical install issue I did. The wire clips that come with the opener seem to assume you have larger gauge wires. My wires are very tiny. One of the clips cut the cable completely (I assume I didn’t have it in the right spot. The other didn’t even cut the insulation so my whole garage door was dead. I used a pair of 3 way Wago connectors, stripped the insulation back on all 3 wires, hooked everything up and we’re back in business. The only issue I have is it takes like 30-45 seconds for the door to change from “Opening” to “Open”.

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-222-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B000JJPA66/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1514831030&sr=8-7&keywords=wago

I couldn’t get Robert’s code to work. BUT - “Z-Wave Garage Door Opener” works with my SmartThing Hub v2 and the Aeotec Garage Door Controller. At least for open and close and detection of status. I can’t do anything like change sound volume. But this might be OK until (if) this device is added to the official list by Samsung…

Mine keeps going to “unknown status”. If I open the sensor, take the battery out and put it back in it works but then it goes to unknown after a few open closes. Anyone else facing this?how did you solve this

Is the sensor mounted on a vertical of the garage door? I have mine mounted on the section just below the trolley and it works great. once it got out of sync and what I did to fix that was just take it off the door, raise the door (it had said open while it was closed), then with the sensor horizontal, I removed and reinstalled the battery after several seconds, then pressed the open / close button on the aeon box and when the trolley stopped moving I put the sensor in the vertical position which triggered status to closed. Then I remounted the sensor… Maybe give that a try. Could be a low battery too. I’ve heard of some coming low from the factory. Maybe check battery voltage with a meter.

Don’t know if this helps but just installed the device type as the previously written code as:RG Linear GD00Z Garage Door Opener and the code works for this garage door opener. Tilt sensor now works with unit and everything works as it should.