Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Siren

Isn’t there a way to get the existing siren sound & volume and store it to a variable, then do what you will with your app, and the last step would be to set it back to the previous sound & volume? I haven’t played with the code at all, but I would expect to be able to get (read) settings from the device.

Glad it was helpful! My replacement siren works just as well with SmartThings as the original one, but sans the whine :smile:

The problem is that whenever you change the settings it sounds the alarm. The way to do it would be to set the settings to the default sound/volume every time in the on() method.

I’ve updated the gist though I haven’t tested it:

Does anyone know if I can connect this siren to get triggered from multiple sensors? From what I can see, the smartApps for this siren allows me to select only one motion sensor at a time.

Like an alarm? Have you checked out smart alarm?

1 Like

Not yet, I am very new to SmartThings. Let me take a look.
Thanks!

1 Like

Smart Alarm is very well made, and as just published in July 2015, thanks to @Geko who created it! The app is under “More,” then “Safety and Security,” towards the bottom of the list. It’s an advanced app, so be patient to learn how to configure it. Then, do your diligence by testing all of your scenarios to ensure it works as expected. If not, revisit your configuration, then lastly search these community forums. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi all,

I am new to smart things in the UK and currently i need to set up the siren manually as it currently is not available through the app. Does anyone know if this is possible and how it can be done? Do i just add the device manually from the web portal? If so how do i get the device network ID of the aeon siren and pair it to the hub?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Vinay

You can always add a Z-Wave device by going to Connect New Device > Connect Now

The different choices on the connect screen don’t actually affect anything for adding Z-Wave or ZigBee devices, it just gives you more info.

Which model of siren? The Aeon Z-Wave Siren that I’m familiar with only works with US Z-Wave hubs like our US SmartThings Hub.

Just got one of these from Amazon UK
Zipato ph-pse02.eu

Fired it up and connected straight away as an Aeon Siren device - alarm works and triggers fine from Apps etc. Sound preferences don’t seem to take effect though and always defaults to siren mode (1 of the 6 available)

Device description comes up as
0 0 0x1005 0 0 0 e 0x5E 0x71 0x20 0x25 0x85 0x70 0x72 0x86 0x30 0x59 0x73 0x5A 0x98 0x7A

Excellent value for £16 UKP - will see if I can get the other sounds to work

How’d the new alarm work as far as changing the tones?

This looks nice! The US version seems to be going for $97.00, seems a bit steep.

Nope - still cant get the tones to work - just the default alarm sound. Will have another try at the weekend hopefully

I’m not sure this is the best place for this comment, but I wanted to add two things to the mix regarding this siren (the Gen 5 siren):

1. Mine has a hissing noise as well, except it also emitted a high-pitched noise that over time seemed to get a bit louder–to the point we could hear it in the next room. Unplugging it made it silent of course, but as soon as I plugged it in, the hiss was back but no high-pitched whine–at least for a while until it came back. I of course returned this unit and the new one still has a noticeable hiss that if I’m really trying can be heard around 6 ft. away. But mostly I don’t notice it unless I get within a few inches. The online store I purchased it from claims this is normal, but not the high-pitched whine I had on the first unit. I’m just trying to figure out how true that is for everyone else. I think it is tolerable now, but still annoys me that it is dead silent when unplugged and running on battery power. It makes me wonder if it is a function of the Z-Wave repeater or something which I suspect no longer repeats under battery power, but I’m a IoT/ST noob, so who knows. I do wonder if the repeater function can be disabled, however. Does anyone know if that’s possible?

2. I have the same bugs as others in this thread. However, in addition to not being able to use the mobile app (Android) to edit the siren’s preferences, I also cannot change the duration of the siren when used in the Smart Home Monitor alert. It doesn’t seem like this is possible via the web IDE either (unlike changing the siren’s preferences, which works fine on the web).

I just got this working… When I first paired it I was too far away from the hub and the security pairing didn’t happen. It seemed to pair fine but then no sounds at all. I looked at the device type and saw that it was trying to use the security communications so I unpaired it and then repaired it when I was about a foot away from the hub - worked fine. It makes a significant noise when it pairs successfully - be prepared. The iOS app appears to let you set both the tones and volume - also the IDE lets you change the preferences, as well.

The volume seems to vary from loud to very loud - it will certainly get your attention to “wake the dead”!
None of the sounds sounds very much like a doorbell, either.

What you cannot do is specify a sound or volume in the Smart Home Monitor area - which seems a bit lacking…

I purchased one on Amazon and it had that high-pitched whine. I returned it and ordered another. Still whining! The second one seems to whine more quietly than the first, but how many of these things am I supposed to try before I find one that doesn’t whine? I’m thinking of emailing aeotec to see what they say.

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for your help in making the Aeon Labs Siren a natively supported device through SmartThings. I am writing to say my siren is working great. I have also purchased the new Aeon Labs Doorbell which I am using as an audio device to sound for door chimes as I can upload any mp3 file to it. It works very well installing it to the hub as just the normal Aeon Labs Siren even though it technically is a different device. The one thing that would be helpful is this doorbell device by default has a repetition parameter that is defaulted to play the mp3 file 2 times. I am trying to figure out how to either modify the existing native Aeon Labs Siren code to create a whole new SmartApp for the doorbell, but it seems like a waste since all I really need is an added parameter modification for the one you already made. Can you help me? I am a software developer, but mainly work with JS (angular, node) not familiar with groovy or whatever is being used in this environment.

Thanks for your help much appreciated,
Nick C

That shouldn’t be too hard. You’ll need to know the parameter number for that configuration setting and the size (though the size is probably 1). Then you can add a new input to the device’s preferences section and another call to secure(zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet()) to the updated() method’s response.

I bought two of these hoping to use one upstairs just as an alert when a door opens (cheaper than a Sonos) but I can’t see a place to do that.

I can set it to blast the alarm for one minute which is a terrible solution, hoping with the different sounds it’s supposed to be able to make that I’m just missing something.