[OBSOLETE] Aeon HEM v1 DH Discussion (DTH link in post 411)

so im pretty new to ST…but i think the process that worked for me is load the DH then try to pair. now its paired but no readings. hooking it up to the washer and or dryer mainly for notifcation that its done. i did split the dryer cable so it would clamp just around one of the 3. does this sound right?

If 110v the hot wire should work, if 220v you want both hots.

got it working. first updated the firmeware to 1.67…had issue…found 1.61 and that has worked out for me. now wattage looks
good. as far as the washer go when you say hot wire do i split the power cord open to get the wire? i don’t really care the actual wattage, more concern about just getting a reading for the DH im using. looks like i can just set a theshhold of when to notify me the washer is on still

First of all, thanks for this great device handler!
I have a problem with the battery reporting though, just like others do.
At first I had it run on batteries and it reported “USB power, batteries at 100%”, which was not correct.
Now that I have finally hooked it up to external power it reports “USB power, batteries at 0%”, also not correct. I tried changing the battery reporting interval but this did not make a difference. Any advice?

If you ran it on batteries at first, how is that not correct?

I have no idea how the HEM could go from 100% to 0% by just plugging in USB power.

Yes, do not use batteries in the HEM. It’s useless, which is probably why Aeon did not include batteries in all future releases of the HEM.

Lastly, go into device preferences and turn off “Display battery level on main tile and Recently tab?”.

1 Like

Well I for one am glad it runs on batteries. at my lake site there is no outlet near the breaker box. I get about a year on a set of batteries. No complaints here.

2 Likes

I don’t think it should report “USB power” if there was no USB power.

Had this running on batteries the past few days but keeps disconnecting. I really didnt want to go through the trouble of running power to it. But will running power to it solve the disconnecting? Or is it the range of the v1 thats the problem?

1 Like

It could be both? If the batteries have drained to the point where it’s effecting the device’s ability to generate a strong signal, then yes. Range would then also be in play I’d imagine.

I have a couple HEM’s, and one of them is as far away from the hub as you can possibly get, but then again I have zwave switches everywhere, so my mesh helps that a lot. If your HEM is far from a repeating zwave device, then you might want to consider putting something like a wall plug or smart switch in the area. Are you having issues with other zwave devices?

No issues with anything else and the last i saw batteries were about 80%. The closest switch is about 20 ft away, but the meter is outside in the main breaker box. When on battery power, is it not possible to adjust settings? Seems like no matter what values i enter, it only reports every 6 minutes. Once in a while it would report after 4 minutes. Also, when i had battery reporting on, it seemed like that was totally random.

When running on batteries, the HEM is limited to no faster than 4 minute reporting intervals. My latest DTH enables kWh reporting when on batteries, but power is limited for sure.

1 Like

Hi John, first of all thanks for putting out a good DH for these meters and keeping it up to date.
I recently got 15 of these and put all my 240v loads on these and logging to G Sheets via Simple Event Logger. I am having some issues so thought I should ask you here. Also, have some suggestions at the end.

Issues:
With no loads all my meters read between 20W and 50W.
I cannot get my meters to give report type 1 based on change in wattage. Still getting report type 0 at set interval.
Of late, my change of settings to the HEM are not reflected in data being logged.i.e. frequency etc.
Do these keep track of 2 way energy flow. I have solar net-metering. I dont thing by default they reported correct data.

Suggestion:
is it possible to have a version that reports 2 clamps separately ?
set voltage manually ? My inverters operate at higher voltage than grid so wattage is always lower with these HEMs
include reset interval right in DH

1 Like

Have you updated the firmware yet? If you haven’t and you do update, you’ll have to rejoin the HEM.

I haven’t tested a setup like yours, so I can’t be sure. If you’re using my latest DTH, comment out line 234. It should be this:

if (newValue < 0) {newValue = state.powerValue}

This prevents the DTH from seeing negative numbers, so give that a try to see if that helps with your setup.

I have thought about it, but none of mine need to report separately. At this time I don’t have plans for reporting clamps separately. Sorry about that.

I’m not sure what you’re asking?

I think that’s doable. I’ll add that to my list of projects. Good idea, thanks!

Thanks, somewhere in the thread , I saw a message that settings might not
update properly if the HEMs are moved after adding to the hub. I did move
mine.

You suggested to replace them. Can you please point me to the instructions
on how to replace them ?

Thanks.

I remember seeing somewhere that the latest firmware results in some incorrect watt reporting? Is this still true? Im pretty sure i have the newest firmware but i suspect my readings may be off. My home idles at around 500 watts. I tried turning the heater, fridge and ac breakers OFF but there still wasnt a sufficient decrease. When heavy wattage appliances are on, the increase in wattage seems pretty spot on though(heater rated at 4500w - reading is around 5000w). It seems like there is a constant 400w phantom load somewhere. Could it be the meter calculating incorrectly? Is there a way to calibrate or offset the reading?

I have 15 meters. I have updated the firmware on a couple of meters to 3.67. They shipped with 3.60. Firmware does not appear to have any impact on any of my issues.

I ran power to it and am still unable to change report settings. When set to “change in wattage (1)”, no matter what wattage i put, it reports at around every 6 minutes most of the time. I have all “seconds” settings at 0.

I would recommend doing a factory reset (which I believe is just excluding it). Rejoin it back to ST as close to the hub as possible, and then move it to your desired location. I had to do this for 1 of my HEM’s recently.

No change. Excluded through general device exclusion in the app. Re-included then rebooted the hub. Still reports exactly every 6 minutes with report type set to “1”. It seems to work when set to 1 watt as well though, reporting every 1 watt change. In IDE, the events list says the source is a “Command” and in the Displayed Text column, it says “polled command sent to…”. What did I do wrong?

Gave up on trying to get it to report in the app. It does report properly through the simple event logger though. I guess it will do. Thanks for your help and time!