Aeon Doorbell Type Beta

Is it possible to send a configuration get command in order to read the parameters current settings? I’m a software developer, however this particular language is not something I’m familiar with.

Yes. It is possible. I generally make my custom device types read back set values to confirm they’ve taken.

Okay folks, package showed up from Hong Kong! Ready to start coding!

2 Likes

Ok so first viable code is out. I didn’t look at others code first, I just hacked out what I thought I would want. Initially I was going to use a volume slider for the ring volume but then I realize, do I ever do that on a normal doorbell, have I ever cared? No. As for changing ringtones, I think when I HAD a doorbell that I could do that on I might change it twice a year around the holidays or so… So I tucked rings, volume and tone into the preferences section. Also, I’m not updating them like Duncan does, I just blow out all the configuration values whenever the preferences are set and give you the config button like I do in all my handlers. I may remove it though since there are no controls on the details view… Anyway, it works, the notifications work and light up the main tile, test button works, remote works, it works with smart home monitor, I tripped the doorbell using a motion sensor… I haven’t tested on android yet but everything I’m doing is “safe” so I doubt there will be issues.

Before I release I want to tidy up a couple loose ends, mostly with the button pressing of the main unit, and giving the ability for a smart app to mute the doorbell which I got as a suggestion on twitter and it looks like @thoward1234 has done something similar with his code. I backtracked after finishing and before posting this final reply tonight to see what has been done. I see the issues you guys had with the association group. I left mine set to default so I didn’t have that issues and pulled the report to see how it was set, as many things apparently like to be in group 2. Usually when I make a new device type I like to peek at the configuration settings prior to changing them, especially when they add in anything near a working state with another device type. Since it added as the Aeon siren, it was “working” though not at full steam since the volume was only set to half… Anyhow, I’ll probably finish it up later this week unless you guys are just dying for v.1 now.

Thought about usability? Do you all like the idea of a volume or ring tone selection button on the details screen, what about the ability for smart apps to be able to change the tone or play a specific tone? These things are doable, but obviously require some coding…Also for any smart app devs, I’d like to see what other sirens or doorbells do and if there are any smartapps doing the above right now. Personally I’d like to have the ability to play a dog barking MP3 if an outside motion gets trigged, and maybe a different noise when motion is detected in the driveway.

~R

1 Like

Is it possible too trigger the doorbell from an open/close sensor instead of the button?

Volume adjustment is common for families with little kids who nap in the afternoons, FWIW. :sunglasses:

Later this week ?! I would die for v.1 now :smile:

Is it possible to use this as a chime for door open events? Using a separate tone than would be used for the doorbell ringing?

If so, that would be slick. Heck I’d buy one just to use as a chime for door open events if needed to.

1 Like

I agree with the now part, please @Robert_Vandervoort make my “dumb-bell” a “smart-bell” ASAP!

Joking aside big thumbs up for your help, the entire community, the UPS guy and my Thanksgiving visitors all thank you!

1 Like

Yes, but a custom device type + app will be needed

Ok, no dying needed I’ll put up the initial type in a minute.

You can trigger it from any sensor really using the smart home security functionality already. It sees the doorbell as a siren since I left the capability as an alarm. That triggers the “both” method which I have just triggering the bell. It would be no big deal to put code in the both method to trigger a specific tone instead of just whatever the normal doorbell is set to you. The bell ships with a jingle jingle noise like the old bells hung over doors.

On the volume control note, I will have to research how an app would want to set the volume. The code already available has it as a level control like you’d use on a light dinner which probably works fine for the device itself but I’m not sure if the apps would use it that way. Certainly a mute button would be fine, but again, home automation isn’t just about connecting to stuff with an app on your phone it is about making it work together.

here you go guys
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robertvandervoort/SmartThings/master/Aeon%20Doorbell/device_type-aeon-doorbell-v0.1

2 Likes

In my device type, I added the capability “switch level”. That allows any app that can dim lights access to “dim” the volume. As such, with Homebridge, I can say “Hey Siri, dim the doorbell to 0%”.

I’m getting this in my logs when I hit Configure in my device using Robert’s code.

12:42:46 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 263
12:42:46 PM: debug settings: [:], state: [‘sound’:1, ‘volume’:3, ‘debug’:false, ‘prefRingtone’:1, ‘prefVolume’:10, ‘prefNumrings’:1]

Aww SOB… I think I did it again saving old code. I work on it in the IDE and save into a file to upload to git. I’ll log into github and fix it. Sorry about that.

Ok I do have the right code. What is happening is you have an empty preference setting. Go edit the device preferences and make sure each input has a value in it.

I’ll fix it later tonight. On the road to the in laws for thanksgiving right now.

2 Likes

Ok I’m not sure where to begin to help you out. Let me start with something small. When I pair the device it pairs as an aeon siren. If I go into the ST app and hit the test button it activates the siren. If I change the device type to @Robert_Vandervoort v.1 the test button no longer sounds the siren. However it does show a test command was sent in the log.

The remote button does not generate a log entry when I press it, but it does sound the alarm.

Any ideas?

+1, same results here @droidguru

Happy Thanksgiving everyone BTW.

After you switched the device type did you hit configure in the app? Mine works fine. I have noticed the remote is kind of finicky as others have reported. In the device setting in the app, edit the preferences and flop the debug logging switch to the on state and do your tests again.

Be safe out there folks. Lots of cops on the roads this morning. Ha!

@Robert_Vandervoort Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy you day away from ST at your “in-laws”. :wink: