Advice Needed On A Switch

This is my first switch to replace in my house. The goal is to have my ring doorbell detect motion and trigger the switch to on during nighttime hours.

I am a novice (at best) electrician. I located the breaker for this switch so I am safe in that regard… I have attached a pic of the switch/wiring. From what I see I have no neutral wire…

• Wire #1 goes to the porch lamp via its cable run
  • Wire #2 is tied with he rest of the black wires to the left with the wire nut
  • Wire #3 is tied with the rest of the white wires to the top with a wire nut
  • Ground wire is attached to switch

Am I correct I have no neutral wire? If so, can you recommend a switch (white) that has no dimmer. Thanks.

I know, my technical terms are amazing

1 Like

You didn’t say what model ring doorbell you have (yes, it does make a difference. :wink: Back to the first rule of home automation: “the model number matters.“)

Or what country you’re in, because the device selection does vary somewhat, even between the US and Canada.

Or even if you have a SmartThings hub, which would allow for more switch options. But it’s still possible even in a “hub optional“ configuration.

Finally… I know you said this is a porch light, does it have a replaceable bulb and if so would you be willing to put in one that was dimmable even if you always intended to use it 100% brightness? It’s just that there are some no neutral options which are dimmers, which have to do with the way the radio gets powered from the trickle current. So again, it just opens up some additional device options.

So… I know this seems like a lot of questions, but it does affect the answers. :sunglasses:

As for what your current wiring is, I’ll leave that to the electrical experts. I was a network engineer. I know device specifications, but I leave wiring to the electricians.

Thanks @JDRoberts.

This will be used for:

• SmartThings Hub v3 (US)
  • Ring Video Doorbell 2
  • Porch light has replaceable 60w Candletip bulbs X3 (smaller size)
  • May be open t dimmable bulbs, would not to check pricing

Hope this helps. I really like the Inovelli switches but I think they are dimmers

Tagging @ritchierich who helped me with something like this 1.5 years ago.

I see white wires in your picture. In the US white wires are usually but not always neutrals.

show a picture of wires in the back of the box

1 Like

@Automated_House A little bit of a rats nest…

that bundle of white wires is your neutral

1 Like

Agreed. You’re good to go.

So I just use the neutral wire in that bundle that goes to my fixture for the smart switch?

right. Most switches come with a short pigtail of wire to tie it in to the bundle.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help on this.

Any recommendations on a switch or just research and pick?

I like inovelli and zooz the best.

Both Inovelli and Zooz have plain on/off switches as well as dimmers. :sunglasses:

I think I am going to buy the Inovelli Red Series On/Off Switch (Z-Wave). Seems pretty slick.

Thanks again for all the help

1 Like

BTW, have you had a chance to look at the device class features FAQ? It can let you know what features to look out for in different models. :sunglasses:

The light switch discussion starts around post 40.

Bulbs, switches and sensors, oh my....what to buy (device class features FAQ)

With Zooz switches you also get free wiring support with step-by-step instructions on how to wire anything from single pole to 3-way / 4-way using Zooz switches, just mentioning it since your initial inquiry was about wiring and it looks like you may need some guidance with the installation :wink:

1 Like

Funny, I am checking out the site now. Look like some great switches (and other devices).

3 Likes