ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

It would be awesome to use this keypad to arm smartthings and also have it show my dashboard

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

While ADT definitely has a very good reason for only supporting their special dual-encrypted sensors for monitored alarm triggering, my educated guess is that this would also imply keeping the Panel pretty “locked down” as well.

What may or may not be possible and safe technically is a lot different than what gets hashed out in the real-world. I can think of lots of potential complications.

2 Likes

Soooooo…

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to have two ADT Security Hub Displays in one home? I currently have two alarm panels that I was hoping to replace with these.

2. Why is everyone concerned that existing sensors won’t trigger the ADT alarm? Isn’t that the experience that everyone already has today? In other words, we currently can’t trigger ADT alarms at all. IMO this is a win/win, you keep your existing functionality and add notification to ADT for a couple new sensors.

They’ve given no indication the new ADT panel can play nice with the ST location everyone already has with their current hubs.

I’m not sure everyone would call having to create a totally unrelated location with a new hub win/win.

2 Likes

Different people have different reasons.

For some people it’s just money. They already have working sensors on the front door, they don’t want to have to buy a new set.

For other people, it’s aesthetics. They don’t want to have two sensors on the same door.

For still other people, it’s form factor. Those who want Hidden sensors are using Sensative strips or recessed door sensors, form factors which are not available in the new ADT devices. (This isn’t always for aesthetics. They may have a family member, such as a child on the autism spectrum or an adult with cognitive issues, who will try to remove visible sensors from the door.)

IMG_4026

Still another group may be using zwave direct association between the door sensor and another device, something which will not be possible with the new ADT sensors.

I’m sure there are a couple of other reasons as well. The point is just that if people have a sensor that they already like that is already working for them, they may feel resistant about adding a new one even if it comes with new features. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi Everybody,
I am very new to this forum and this is my post!

We have just started to look for a home security system and a home automation system. Luckily read about this new SmartThings-ADT hub witch can do both! Since we have not spent a single dollar in any of these things yet, this option might be good for us (albeit a bit more expansive compared to Ring security).

Based on reading on this blog and elsewhere looks like this system would be:
(1) controlled/monitored by the using ST App.
(2) not sure how ADT would monitor it (using their own app or ST app)?
(3) I just read that ADT monitoring services can be ordered using ST app.
(4) color, 7 inch screen, and (most likely Smash & crash protected?)
(5) would provide delay feature
(6) would still send the signal out to monitoring center (if opted for ADT monitoring) because of cellular backup feature (power outage/ Wifi failure/hub smashed by burglars)
(7) has 24 hour or longer(?) battery backup
(8) No activation & installation charges, DIY
(9) no extra charge for home automation (use ST app and control all your home automation sensors)
(10) since we have not purchased anything yet, we can buy couple of extra security sensors which should work with this hub (900 MHz) which will be monitored by ADT and rest can be normal ST sensors (a lot cheaper)
(11) anybody knows if its possible to add a secondary panel along with this system on another floor which can make life easier to arm/disarm? Something which might work at the same 900 MHz wave length?
(12) any guess if this hub can control/monitor Skybell doorbell camera?
(13) I have not done any programming but I am guessing that someone has a script which can be used with this hub to turn on the lights, start recording a video if a sensor (motion or glass break) is tripped?
(14) Best buy gives 10% discount on the first purchase when becoming a best buy member (not required to get a store credit card), which could bring the total costs of the hub and the sensors down.
(15) I called toll free number of ADT a couple of times to talk to their security experts but they did not have much information. They sent a security expert home to plan and advice what kind of security would be good for our home. She was also unaware of this product and discouraged me to go for it.

Thank you!
NewBee

2 Likes

Like any brand new shiny product, I would also strongly recommend against being an “early adopter”.

Let other fools discover how well or how poorly it works and save yourself a ton of grief with the price being just a tiny bit of patience.

6 Likes

Nicely done analysis, @NewBee! It would be helpful if SmartThings could verify your assumptions — have you asked them?

That being said, @tgauchat makes a good point. Proceed with caution & keep us informed on your adventure :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome! :sunglasses: Sounds like you’re doing some excellent research.

At this point, there’s just no way to know most of the answers, though. It’s easy to make assumptions from the early marketing materials, but what actually gets delivered often varies a lot. For example “local processing” means very different things in terms of practical outcomes for different systems.

The new ADT/SmartThings panel is intended to be sold at retail for do it yourselfers, not professionally installed, so the professional ADT installers are almost certainly going to discourage you from getting that one and may have limited information about it.

If you’re OK with waiting until January, by then there should be a lot of articles and customer reviews out about the three new systems in the space: nest, ring, and ADT/SmartThings, and we should all have a much better idea of the pros and cons of each.

As I often say, until you can order it for two day delivery from Amazon, it’s all just marketing. :wink:

4 Likes

Will this panel work with existing ADT products like Door/Window Sensors, motion sensors, and carbon monoxide and smoke alarms? My Father is looking to cancel his ADT service that he already has when the contract is up in December. He does not want to pay a monthly fee and he wants more automation. I think this hub would be perfect assuming he does not need to replace the things I mentioned above. Obviously If he wants the monitoring again he would have the option to pay ADT.

If he has to buy all new sensors then I would just get him the regular Smartthings hub and configure it for him similarly to how I have mine set up. But more security focused.

1 Like

I don’t think they’ve made that clear, from what I’ve read.

I wouldn’t bet on it, though.

1 Like

If we have to replace all of those sensors then at that point there would be no reason to buy the ADT version of the Hub unless he wants to pay for the monitoring (he doesn’t).

I would rather at that point just get him the regular hub and a bunch of things for it and I will just configure myself.

2 Likes

The thing that makes this hard for me, is it doesn’t seemt to support the hardwires sensors that I am already have. I have been using a DSC Panel with the EVL-4. Works good and has remote monitoring. I just wish companies like, simplisafe, the new ring solution or scout would offer a hardwire bridge of some sorts.

I would love to get my panel integrated directly into ST without having to use AlarmServer running a Pi. Anyone know of any good solutions that can integrate a hardwired alarm with ST directly?

YES!!!

@heythisisnate’s https://Konnected.io

7 Likes

Sweet baby jesus… Thanks @tgauchat !

2 Likes

Or you could connect hard wired magnetic switches to z-wave contact sensors that support external switches (like GoControl).

Like ActionTiles? :slight_smile:

Sometimes it’s good to be a fool.

2 Likes

<25 bucks for ActionTiles vs. minimum $550 for this new hub (plus whatever one spends on the new devices and the monthly monitoring) makes AT a far less painful lesson learned even if one decided they absolutely hated it. I doubt the new hub comes with a free two week trial license either.

3 Likes

No need for the defensive.

My comment was made as a compliment and partial joke to Terry and team, hence the “sometimes it’s good to be a fool”, meaning it was a good thing to be an early adopter of his product, regardless of the price.

2 Likes

I had this same question because I have ADT Pulse currently (and was anxiously awaiting my contract end-date in March so I could switch over to SmartThings). But, if I can use my existing ADT components with this system but have the option to not pay for the live monitoring (currently paying $60/mo), this is a very viable solution for me. (Although, I also have 9 ADT cameras, and there’s no information on their compatibility yet.)

So, I called ADT, and the support lady I talked to said they haven’t received any official information on this new system yet (shocker!). She did say that the ADT sensors would work like any other SmartThings sensors, but would additionally have the capability to support ADT professional monitoring. This means that they can be part of scenes, trigger other lights, etc. (With my current ADT Pulse Z-wave system, I have a number of not-officially-supported Z-wave devices paired and am able to use them in ADT automations with my current ADT sensors, so I doubt they would go back on that capability.) She also looked at the ADT Hub Pages on the SmartThings site with me, and said that the ADT devices (motion sensors, smoke/CO alarms, door/window sensors) pictured there ARE the current ones that they offer with ADT pulse, so she assumes that they will also be compatible with this new SmartThings ADT Hub… meaning I can hopefully transfer my existing ADT Pulse devices to the new hub if I go this route.

Take it all with a grain of salt, though, because as she said, they haven’t yet received official information. Hope this helps!

2 Likes