ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Would ADT give certificate for the system, for insurance purposes?
I read conflicting reports, anyone can confirm?

1 Like

So…Amazon has the ADT Smarthings starter for $100 today…likely a pitch to Iris victims. I have a V2 hub currently. As I’ve read in the forum, the ADT hub has limits to which apps work. Can the V2 and ADT hubs coexist/integrate? Create super-hub Frankenstein?

You can own both, and they aren’t likely to create interference for each other, but they cannot see the devices that the other one controls, so no superhub, no Frankenstein. Basically just two neighbors living side-by-side.

Did everybody here already know that Smartthings has created an Alexa skill specifically for the ADT panel? It’s one of those four digit pin security options, and you can only do three things: arm the panel, disarm the panel, or ask for the panel’s armed status. You still use the regular smartthings integration for anything else you want to do with Alexa.

@sfink16 , a new community member, pointed this out in another thread, and I’ve never heard of it before. :sunglasses:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001154563-How-to-use-Amazon-Alexa-to-Arm-Disarm-your-SmartThings-ADT-Security-Hub

I have the ADT ST hub and have about 15 door/window sensors, 1 smoke detector, and one motion detector paired and working great. Also have a couple compatible light bulbs paired.

Now, I bought many more smoke detectors, a carbon monoxide detector and more door/window sensors. Each time I try and pair them through the app, it takes the hub to “system inactive” statusand the device never pairs. I have tried multiple smoke detectors (same model as one already paired), both scanning Q-code and manually entering, used two iphones to try and pair, uninstalled and re-installed app, used both classic and new ST app, reset wifi, used 2G and 5G, tried carbon monoxide detector (new), and NOTHING pairs anymore. I am not a tech novice but there has to be something I am forgetting or a bug in the app. After I close the app (after pairing cycle either times out or I physically close the app, the hub will return to normal status where it can be armed and monitors previously installed devices - including a smoke detector that is the same model I am trying to pair now. I cannot remember if when pairing successfully before if the hub went to this “system inactive” status or not. That seems odd that it would do that when the app is open and actively searching for a device to pair with, so I don’t know if that is the issue or something else.

I should also mention that the phones (2 different ones tried), the new device, and hub are all within 5 feet of the router and each other - all sitting at the same desk I am sitting at so it is not a distance issue. I even tried literally having the smoke detector on top of the phone on top of the hub and same result.

Finally, the device(s) I am trying to pair ARE in pairing mode (slow red blinking light). I also reset the devices (two quit hits of reset button, followed by 7 seconds hold on the smoke detector as an example) and it performs the reset perfectly. So I am confident the device itself is in active pairing mode.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions? E-mail has also been sent to ST support with no response yet.

Hello all. First post. I just picked up the ADT hub and the main function I want to use is the siren. I have non ADT door sensors that I would like to turn on the siren when set to Armed Away. Please let me know if this is even possible. Thanks.

Tagging @Mavrrick58

There is no way to trigger the internal siren from Smartthings. If you want to use the internal siren you will need to use Dual Branded sensors.

If you have a external siren then you can use a Smartapp called ADT Tools 2 to use the alarm state to trigger that external siren when non dual branded sensors are tripped when the alarm is armed.

Mavrrick58
If i have my system armed from the ADT HUB i cannot disarm it from my phone (but will still get alerts when something is triggered} and when i arm it from my phone it is not armed on the hub… What am i doing wrong that they are not syncing?

So the arming and disarming of the system should be possible from your phone without ADT Tools. When you inatall the hub you should have a dashboard in smartthings for the alarm panel. If you have been doing anything with different locations make sure you are on the righr location in smartthings that has has your ADT hub associated with it.

Thanks @Mavrrick58 ! I must not have set it up correctly when i installed it somehow. I did a factory reset of the hub and now it is working. I have everything working how I’d like it except for the Indoor siren. But hopefully ADT/ST will come out with a siren in the future i can add to it. I have a Halo Plus smoke/CO detector i used with Iris. I know Halo went under and will no longer offer updates but was still able to pair it for alerts with Iris. I see on the Classic ST app it still shows Halo Plus under devices i can add but when i go to pairing instructions the page is no longer on Smartthings support page and comes up invalid. I wonder if i can still pair it for non alarm notifications under ST as i did with Iris?

I have the v3 pro hubs and am considering adding the adt smartthings hub and dual branded door/window sensors and maybe the smoke and or CO alarms in order to integrate monitored alarm service. I would also like to use the smartthings mesh(seperate from the monitored ADT) for cameras, motion, lights, doorlocks and thermostat/smartvent. I only have some lights and switches in the network as of now with the smartthings presence fob supposedly set to trigger an exterior light after dark(which works intermittently).
My questions:
MAIN QUESTION: What is the best resource for how to approach the setup and automation? Can the ADT monitored entry sensors trigger non monitored events such as:

1. Open door with alarm armed, turn on (non monitored) lights and cameras and record with SHM as well as action that is set up in the ADT panel.
  2. Open the same door with alarm off after sunset: lights only.
  3. When using ADT remote to disarm within certain proximity, unlock nearest door if lock is connected through non ADT hub.
    Thank you,

I don’t know if you resolved this but I’ve had a similar thing happen by when trying to add a sensor and it freezes up during pairing. The ADT hub would never go back into pairing mode when I tried to restart the pairing so after trying pretty much everything you said above I had to actually do a full reboot on the ADT hub itself by disconnecting the main power and the backup battery. It’s the only way I have found to fix it so far. It’s super annoying but worked for me.

1 Like

This looks ominous:

1 Like

Can I get the motion sensors to trigger when in Stay mode?
I would like all my door sensors and some of my motion sensors to be secures when in stay mode. (can I bypass some motion sensors from the app?)
any way around that through webcore?

Do ADT/Smartthings devices, i.e. contacts, motion, smoke, CO and leak sensors use zwave or Zegbee?

Neither. Proprietary 900 MHz.

1 Like

That isn’t true for all of them. The water sensor uses zigbee. I am certain the door/ window and motion sensors use the proprietary 900mhz band. Not sure about the carbon monoxide and smoke detector though.

3 Likes

Yeah, the water sensor is zigbee. Samsung site says all the others are 900 MHz.

Finally got mine set up and now I can’t find the door/window sensors for purchase anywhere? Kicking myself for not grabbing a bunch when they were cheap at best buy.