ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

It uses the normal SmartThings app, but it has its own restrictions discussed elsewhere in this thread.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been reading the thread and it’s pretty long. I’ve seen that there are limitations with non ST/ADT specific devices being used but since I’m starting from scratch, I hope I’ll not be in a situation where that’s a big hindrance/annoyance. Unless I’m missing something else. I had to jump to the more recent posts to catch up and probably missed all of November’s discussion. :stuck_out_tongue:

From a newbie with very little smart home devices (the ecobee just got delivered, yay!), is it a good idea to get something like this and rely on this ST hub over a dedicated one?

1 Like

As far as I can tell (from keeping up with the conversation, rather than from personal experience…) there’s not many disadvantages to using the ST portion of the ADT-Hub as your primary and only ST Hub (except for the migration effort if you already have an ST Hub).

Only primary Disadvantages (I think):

1. Cameras don’t work yet, but are coming.
  2. SHM initially didn’t work, but it does now.

(I hope others chime in with any more!)

However, don’t expect to have any “enhanced or additional SmartThings functionality”, other than the availability of the ADT Arm/Disarm/Status in the SmartThings App.

The ADT portion cannot be “officially” controlled from a SmartApp. The ADT Sensors only can be used by regular SmartThings SmartApps.

1 Like

Just the normal functionality that is in the normal hub version? Other than expected interaction with ADT devices and the like. I basically don’t want to miss out on what a normal dedicated STv2 would get me, not so much worried about getting extra bells and whistles other than ADT interaction. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. The critical and probably easiest part to research and confirm is local execution. Does it run the same set of DHs, Smart Lighting, and the same proportion of SHM that Hub V2 runs? Will it run other stuff locally that SmartThings adds to Hub V2 (when and if ever)?

2. Battery backup is different?

3. Radios(ZigBee, Z-Wave) might be different, so firmware could drift from Hub V2? Does it have the same (unusable) Bluetooth radio?

4. No USB ports. Also not currently used in Hub V2.

What is the current, most up-to-date firmware version for the ADT hub? I’m on 000.018.00235.

I believe 19.0019 is the latest for the V2 hub.

Were you ever able to get SHM? I still don’t have it and I feel like that would solve a lot of my problems. I do only have the one hub: the ADT one.

1 Like

Hello

Relatively new to SmartThings and Action Tiles. Do you know if there is a way to arm/disarm my ADT/Samsung panel with Action Tiles?

Thanks!

Nope, still don’t have SHM. I’ve been able to use webcore for most things and your still able to use the smart light app.

We think it can be done (at least via a Virtual Switch Tile that you could link to the correct Device Commands via a SmartApp like WebCoRE…). But it is entirely unofficial and SmartApp access to ADT could be blocked by SmartThings at any time.

If someone were to send @tgauchat one to borrow, he is more than happy to test everything out to see what can and can’t be done with ActionTiles and look at all the capabilities it consists of and which can be used. :sunglasses:

Great advice. I got the piston to work in WebCore now could anyone lend a hand in directing me how to create a virtual switch that will activate the piston? Thanks so much for the advice! Whole new world for me but I think I’m hooked!

1 Like

In this thread where it says to login to IDE, always use https://account.smartthings.com and not the graph.api… url. This goes for everything IDE because you will see various urls posted by people saying login here or here. ALWAYS use the url above to login to IDE at least until you know what shard you belong to (ie:graph.api…, na02-east1, na04-… etc.).

3 Likes

Thanks Again! Virtual switch does work but a little clumsy as the switch needs to be toggled. I installed the simulated button and it works within STs and WebCoRE but for some reason ActionTiles isn’t seeing it. ActionTiles shows up as SmartApp in STs but button does not show up as addable thing in ActionTiles. Any help is appreciated!

You may be using a deprecated version of “Virtual Button” that doesn’t conform to SmartThings’s own standards.

You should also make sure it is a Virtual Momentary Button, not a “Button Controller”.

Add capability "actuator" just in case.

Ref: Some Devices are missing from the Authorize Things (Add Location) … / ActionTiles Knowledge Base / AT Support & Ideas

But then please contact Support@ActionTiles.com so as not to go off Topic here, thanks!

1 Like

Along with what Terry said, use Simulated Switch or one of the many Simulated Bulbs as the Device Type. Then update all your WebCoRE Pistons to correspond with that Device Type.

1 Like

Yep I used Simulated Button and WebCoRE sees it and it activates Piston from STs app just not able to see in ActionTiles

I think you may have missed what we are saying. The Device Type Handler that you used may not have the correct capability to be added to ActionTiles.

Before you do the following. You said that it doesn’t show up in ActionTiles. You did try to authorize the device from Locations in ActionTiles or from the Mobile app you can go to Automations / SmartApps / ActionTiles to see the device listed and select that device before it can be added as a Tile. You first post was confusing so I wanted to bring this up in case you did not do this.

So log into the IDE at https://account.smartthings.com and edit that Device and then change the Type to “Simulated Switch” and Update.

Then goto Automations / SmartApps / ActionTiles and see if that device is now listed that you can select which will authorize it to be used in ActionTiles.

@Nick_Popp may want a Momentary Button, not a Switch.

But a “Momentary Button” will not be picked up by ActionTiles unless it also properly claims Capability “Actuator”. This is a standard that SmartThings has fixed in later releases of the DTH, but was missing from old Simulated device DTHs.

If in doubt, please send me a link to the Simulated Button DTH to Support@ActionTiles.com and let’s not derails this thread. Thanks!

2 Likes