ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

I was told (by customer support) it is Verizon

So in my web login i do not have an option to download a monitoring certificate. Ive asked ADT to call me so Ill see if this is an option for this system.

2 Likes

I am on the edge of buying one, but can I add the iris zigbee sensor to it with out a problem?

Not sure I understand the question…

I think the “SmartThings Hub” portion of the ADT panel is compatible with the same Z-Wave and ZigBee devices as a regular Hub V2… or at least mostly; it’s different hardware, so there may be some quirks.

But the major point to note is that only ADT branded sensors can be used to trigger ADT controlled and monitored Alarms. That means no option to purchase “cheap” sensors from all the various sources we use to add to SmartThings. Non-ADT sensors are usable in SmartThings automations … but you don’t even have the option of using SHM anymore (for better or worse).

Correct. I have no interest in the adt part of the system.

I’m looking to just self monitor my house. I just wanted to make sure my sensors would work with the smart things side of the system and would be able to arm the system without the adt part activated.

If you buy the new integrated ST hub/ADT panel, then on the ST side of things, there is no security system. As @tgauchat mentioned, they have apparently removed smart home monitor from this version of the ST hub. You have to use ADT, with the new ADT sensors, although you’re not obligated to sign up for central monitoring for a monthly fee.

If you’re really not interested in the ADT part of the system, then buy the v2 version of the ST hub and save a few hundred bucks.

1 Like

So ADT will not give out an insurance certificate. Moni with nest Secure will. Ive confirmed with them that they will give an insurance certificate even on their month to month option. Their pricing also includes fire monitoring via the Nest protects.

1 Like

Really? I talked to customer support and they said they would provide the certificate.

Customer support doesn’t seem yet to be very familiar with this system. Their own internal documentation linked to above says no insurance certificate is available. But maybe they’ve changed that, or it may even depend on the state in which you live as the insurance certificate rules do vary by state.

If you do get an insurance certificate, definitely let us know, as well as the state that you live in. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m signed up for the monitoring service and they told me no since its month to month. Did you talk to someone? My info is from chat.

I have used Simplisafe for years and it is month to month . Certificate was issued as soon as I activated the system. Integration works great with Smartthings and custom device handler .

1 Like

There are definitely some nonADT companies issuing burglary/intrusion certificates for month-to-month contracts. I don’t know if there are any issuing fire certificates for month-to-month, though. And some insurance companies won’t take the month-to-month certificates for a discount, they want it to show a contract period of at least 90 days.

So there are just a lot of potential variables. State laws, type of certificate (intrusion or fire), insurance company practices, monitoring company practices, equipment company practices. It’s not surprising If certificates might be available for one house and not for another, particularly if they’re in different states.

And it could be that ADT chat just means that they are not going to be issuing it for an ADT system which is month to month versus an ADT system with a long-term contract. That is, that it’s their company practice, not something more general.

I’ve just yet to hear from anyone anywhere who got a certificate for the new ADT/smartthings security hub, and there is one internal ADT document that says they are not going to be issuing them for that system.

So if you do have the system with ADT monitoring activated and you did get a certificate, post and let us know. :sunglasses:

Thanks for all the replys.
So I can understand this. Smart things on that device is no different from the one I have now. If I would set the alarm it would only monitor the adt side of it. So all my sensor are useless.

I don’t want to pay the adt fees. I just wanted a simple device that I could arm and disarm. I guess I will go with a 2 gig panel.

So you can monitor the smartthings side including the ADT sensors. Its just that the only sensors that can trigger and alert to ADT(assuming you have their monitoring plan) are the ADT sensors not anything else.

The only devices that work with the ADT security side are the ADT devices. This is independent whether you pay for their monitoring or not. So if you get this hub, and want any kind of security functionality, you have to buy ADT sensors.

Why not using SmartThings with an IRIS keypad and/or with ActionTiles running on an inexpensive tablet? Those are both options to handle “arm and disarm”…

No.

As stated above, SHM does not exist in the version of the ST hub on the new adt panel. You have no option other than the adt side of the software, with adt sensor devices, for your security needs (plus/minus central monitoring).

2 Likes

But that’s the only difference, right? So @gatorslayer18 has the option of using a non-SHM based alarm SmartApp (Smart Alarm, or WebCoRE piston(s)). … but those won’t execute locally, of course.

Regardless, there’s absolutely no good reason to buy the ADT product if you have no intention of using ADT paid Monitoring. Really… right?

And without an insurance certificate, the value of ADT monitoring is somewhat reduced too. smh.

1 Like

From following this thread, I believe that’s correct. I didn’t buy the new panel myself because I’m not replacing my contact and motion sensors :roll_eyes:

I agree on both counts. The upfront cost for the panel plus sensors is high, and then apparently you don’t even get a pretty standard benefit when you spend money monthly on the central monitoring service (i.e. a reduction in homeowners insurance premiums).

2 Likes

The new ADT logo sensors should be more reliable with fewer false alarms than any zwave sensor, because of the technology involved.

So I can see someone who wants to have a very sensor – intensive home automation ( not security) set up but wants high reliability sensors potentially using this panel just to get this type of sensor.

Choice is good. :sunglasses:

1 Like