ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Simply reading between the lines.

Some stuff is just obvious. The deep, deep, deep discounts were either inventory clearing or a desperate attempt to grasp ground.

Meanwhile ADT does not promote the product at all, so it’s a very weak partnership at best. They have a conflict of interest with competing products.

Won’t last.

OK, I feel like a complete idiot. How do I set the clock in this stupid ADT hub? I’m pulling my hair out. It’s currently 11:30 and the hub thinks it’s 3:30 tomorrow morning. Jeez… I’m going to give up.

It seems like I had to go to the classic ST app -> More -> Settings gear - move the map home location to another time zone then move it back and it was correct.

1 Like

Uh oh.

SmartThings support is now telling customers that ADT no longer makes the dual logo model Devices.

This was widely predicted after the lifeshield acquisition completed in January And they switched to a month to month business model (OK, predicted by me :wink: , but I wasn’t the only one).

Is SmartThings ADT dead? (July 2019) (Lifeshield/Blue by ADT Acquisition and Support comments on EOL)

@tgauchat

yeah, the only positive in this whole mess is the service seems to still work.

The system has been on clearance since at least Black Friday 2018, so its hard to tell how much impact the Lifeshield acquisition had. Only people at ADT and/or Samsung would know.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue with getting the run around from ADT/Samsung regarding the update that was pushed last week.
Originally started with a email from ADT saying a new ControlUnit was added, then got an email that said a test was required.
After multiple calls with ADT and Samsung, I finally got a resolution (if you can call it that).
ADT logged into my ST account, and showed that my device did get a fw update, and they have been trying to work with samsung on fixing the botched fw update that broke the cellular cards (hence why most devices broke). ADT has no supply of them, and won’t – Samsung, won’t repair – So SOL.
ADT only sees a ControlUnit, and no devices, which means nothing is being monitored.
ADT has confirmed they’ve been having issues the past few months, and are making no progress on resolution. They (manager at ADT) advised me to terminate my ADT contract, and provided an email address to get a credit back for the current month. She also advised me to either wait it out to see if Samsung/ADT can reach a agreement, but wasn’t to optimistic. She suggested there are other DIY solutions – my feedback was I’ve already invested in hub/multiple ADT branded devices (40+) and now I feel like ADT nor Samsung cares to resolve my problems. I asked for a upgrade path to an ADT solution, she said they don’t have one, as they don’t know what to do with the partnership. :
totally sucks

3 Likes

wowzers! So what got the firmware update? The SmartThings support site is showing the latest firmware is 20.203. This firmware has been out since at least April.

1 Like

I’m note aware of any FW update either – my ADT hub is still running 20.203 as of today…

I think what got updated was a firmware update to the Cellular card, as that is where the system test fails in the app, and on ADT’s side verifying the hub is functional… I can’t seem to find in my hub events/logs any firmware update that was pushed, but also I don’t know if those are logged…

2 Likes

Hey thanks, that worked!

Thanks for the update. I’m going to check my modem firmware version when I get home. I believe the Installer Toolbox or Settings has a screen to view the radio firmware version.

1 Like

My cell radio appears to be working correctly. My radio firmware is 17.01.573 and panel firmware version N.1.0 build 3901.

You can find this info by selecting Info > System Info on the touchscreen.

1 Like

My radio firmware is the same as yours but panel is N 1.0 build 3908

1 Like

Sorry, I just had to edit the post title and remove New from it. It was driving me crazy.

2 Likes

I have ADT Window & Door sensors, ADT Smoke senors, ADT Cabon sensors and ADT motion sensors, that are fairly new, purchased them between February May of 2019, they all work.

Qty 18 Samsung SmartThings ADT Door and Window Detector F-ADT-DW-1 $11.00 ea.
Qty 6 ADT Samsung SmartThings ADT Smoke Alarm F-ADT-SMK-1 $20.00 ea.
Qty 5 Samsung SmartThings ADT Carbon Monoxide Alarm F-ADT-CO-1 $13.00 ea.
Qty 3 Samsung SmartThings ADT Motion Detector F-ADT-PIR-1 $10.00 ea.

There’s now a thread in the deals section of the forum for the dual logo devices:

Deals on Dual Logo ADT/SmartThings Sensors

Thanks! Unfortunately no door/window sensors though. I already knew about the motion sensors and starter kits. I really should have known better and bought a few more door/window sensors when they were like $7 or whatever it was. That and should have seen the end coming. Shame because I’d waited years for exactly this – a true smarthome hub integrated with security. Figures as soon as I find one, it gets nixed lol.

It depends on exactly what you need from the service, and in particular how many different devices, how many different rules, and which model devices.

Abode has done a good job of delivering integrated home security and home automation, with better video integration than ST. But there is a limit of about 150 Devices total and also a limit On the total number of rules you could have which varies by subscription level.

It doesn’t support the same complexity that smartthings does, but it runs locally and it has more built-in security features. So different things work for different people, but there are certainly some competitors in this space.

I’m new to the forum and this is my first. I thought I would revive this old thread as it seemed right on topic for my questions.

I’m new to SmartThings but have been a long time user of smart home products (2013). I’m moving and want to rebuild my system. I’m coming over from a GE Simon XTi thought sounds exactly like this ADT-Security hub. The big difference being the ADT unit appears to use both Zwave and Zigbee - which would be nice.

Questions that follow:

1. Have folks been happy with this hub?
  2. Does it indeed use both protocols (in addition to propriety security one)?
  3. Right now I build my scenes w. Alarm.com app, where would I do this with ADT/Smarthings?
  4. Any change on using this with two panels yet? One near entrance one upstairs (no siren) ?

This model is in “end of life” status, So I couldn’t recommend that anyone get it at this time. It’s very hard to get any ADT support for it, it’s almost impossible to find the individual sensors for purchase, and it has not been getting updates at the same rate as the other smartthings models.

ADT instead purchased a different company (Lifeshield), and that has now become their DIY no contract option, which is now called “ADT blue“

You can See discussion of that process from this forum in the following thread:

Is SmartThings ADT dead? (July 2019) (Lifeshield/Blue by ADT Acquisition and Support comments on EOL)

If you want both zigbee and Z wave in a DIY security system with optional monitoring, I would look at abode:

I think it has the best mix of cameras, Z wave, and zigbee in a low-cost system right now.

Ring Security and ADT Blue are also possible candidates, although the home automation component in those is not as strong as in Abode.

2 Likes