ADT Integration

Great, that fixed the one error! Thanks a ton…

But I am still getting the errors about “Serial1” not being declared. I assumed that was coming from the SoftwareSerial.h inclusion, but I guess not?

@msgoduke,
If my memory is correct, the Serial1 error may be due to the wrong board being selected in the Arduino environment. Have you selected the Arduino Mega as the board? Looks like the Uno has been selected.

With respect to the jumpers, I checked my current Readme and the pics and text look consistent and correct. https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/5625006/7851848/2d6b0458-04bb-11e5-9353-a7615897922b.jpg

Thanks…everything is built and ready to hook up to my alarm panel (which I will do tomorrow so I don’t wake up everyone). And my apologies, I was looking at an older set of instructions. You are correct, your current readme has the correct pins.

Thanks again!

I have been following this closely. I am getting ready to make the plunge…

Going to keep ADT monitoring for a while at the very least but man it will be nice to integrate with ST

As a fellow lurker, it would be tremendously helpful if you would document your journey (maybe with pics?).

It works well. One of the best integrations that I’ve done.

Stan did a nice job documenting the setup in this thread:

The instructions on Github have pictures, etc.

Documentation is excellent. Easy to follow the latest README in the project.

Receiving messages seems to be working great. I can open a door and the correct tile updates, etc.

I am seeing two strange behaviors which I have not tried to debug yet:

1. I cannot send any commands. They are basically ignored as best I can tell. (Yes, I put my security code into the settings.)
  2. When the system is armed, the status messages from the alarm seem to alternated between armed and ready to arm.

As I figure out my issues, I will post in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Did you configure it as an additional keypad?

I believe so…once I connected to my Vista 20P with the installer code, I confirmed that 18 was unused using #191 (which reported 0 0). I then used *191 3 0 to enable it. I guessed at the three there. Will look at the value of 190 tomorrow and use the same partition number.

@msgoduke,

Your getting close. My understanding of the Vista 20p systems is that you can create two independent partitions (1 and 2). Each partition will have its own zones and each zone has its own set of sensors. As an added feature, you can monitor a area common to both partitions (com or 3). Optimally, you would have a keypad (or in this case an AD2Pi) assigned to each active partition (1, 2 or 3). Most home installations are single partition using partition 1. Try setting to *191 1 0. Check your work by #191 to confirm (returns 1 0).

Note: My guess is that when you set the partition to 3 (*191 3 0), you are now monitoring some type of default status across both partitions, one which might be armed and the other ready to arm???
Disclaimer: I don’t have a Vista20p so I can’t test out my recommendation. Let us know if this fixes the issue.

@d8adrvn, I suspect you are correct.

When I woke up this morning, I did a #190 to see what it returned, but it returned 0 0 (suggesting I don’t have a keypad at 17 either. I was hoping to see what it was set to and then copy that to 191 (18). But since I didn’t get useful information from that, I went ahead and did a *191 1 0 and that seemed to fix both issues.

So at this point, it seems to be working full as you designed. Thanks again @d8adrvn for such great code with comments. I easily labeled my zones and was glad I didn’t have to hardcode my code (instead putting it in through the settings).

Next step: Now I need to figure out how I can setup some automation like triggering the garage lights (that are on a zwave switch already) to turn on when the door to the garage opens. I think I saw a thread or discussion about creating a virtual device for my alarm zone and using it as a sensor in a routine? (Obviously I am trying to reuse the alarm sensors instead of putting more zwave sensors on doors and windows.)

1 Like

I’m glad you figured it out. It sounded like a keypad issue.

Triggering the sensors to turn lights on/off works great - as I said above, this really is one of the best automations.

EDIT: Keep in mind that when the alarm is armed, no sensors are triggered (so motions won’t trigger).

@bago,

Any suggestions on what to look at for examples? As I said, I have the hardware installed and @d8adrvn’s code working but have not gone any further. Are you able to get the individual zones recognized in the various smartthings routines? Or does everything end up in code/custom device types?

TIA for any help you can provide!

I would look at AlarmThing. I modified AlarmThing and AD2SmartThings to work together. I made some additional changes to AD2SmartThings to streamline it (fewer messages, eliminated zones getting stuck open if alarm is armed, etc.).

Each zone shows up individually and can be used just like any other sensor. Each sensor stands alone with AD2SmartThings sending messages that AlarmThing acts upon updating the individual sensors. The only issue is that when the alarm is armed, sensors don’t fire (so automations tied to those motions don’t fire).

It works great!

I have an issue where I sometimes need to press the disarm or stay buttons 2-4 times before they work. This has the most impact when I include it in routines, as when the routine button is selected, if it misses, then the routine will not ensure the proper state of the alarm by re-sending the command until it activates.

Do you guys think this is just a signal issue, or should I be looking at something else? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything before I invest in an in-wall zigbee plug i don’t really need for any useful purpose in that part of the house.

update: I had a wireless zone that had been bypassed because of a failed battery issue before I started this effort. I removed the zone today causing the fault and it works the way its supposed to now without any issues that I can see. I guess there were too many messages coming through for the interface to process the inbound commands from ST.

@ndhaack, thanks for the update and explanation so others can benefit if something similar occurs on their system. Glad its working for you.

@d8adrvn , Thank you very much for great ‘How To’ and code.
I have my Vista 20P integrated with ST. It was as easy as Plug and Play.

I have 3 Keypads in my system and I think one of it is at address 18. One of the keypads does not work properly anymore .

I can’t seem to get confirmation of this anywhere, but does this support the ADT Pulse system powered by the Honeywell Lynx Plus? I don’t know which hardware to get, the envisalink or the ad2pi.