ADT Hub vs. v2 Hub

Or to avoid this nightmare can i just add the ADT hub as a 2nd hub…since i already own the regular hub and probably cant return it anyway?

Unfortunately no. Two hubs can’t be used on the same network of devices.

Aside from ADT, is there other Smarthings compatible true alarm systems?

I currently pay $16/month for alarm monitoring and dispatch and ADT is crazy more expensive.

Mainly i would like to be able to see status of the alarm, ideally (but not strictly required) turn it on/off with ST.

And being able to trigger automations based on the alarm system mode. i.e. my alarm (Elk M1) was integrated with my previous automation system to turn off the lights when we armed it, etc.

The ADT hub sounds good but the monthly cost seems high and at this point i am in a bit too deep in already to switch as well.

On more hub related question…if you hub dies and you need to replace it…i assume that a disaster as well? (plugging it into my UPS now. :slight_smile: )

Exactly what do you mean by “true alarm systems”?

Since SmartThings depends on the Cloud (and your internet connection), some people do not consider it reliable enough to be used for Home Security / Home Safety.

The current Classic SmartThings App links Smart Home Monitor to Scout for a monthly fee. The subscription process is inside the App under SHM. Just look for it.

There are other ways to integrate some other monitoring services; but these do not have proven reviews and are completely unofficial and not sanctioned by SmartThings.

1 Like

This is all about how much focus you put on security. If you want the best reliable setup similar to what you have experience before with the home automation integration of Smartthings then the Smartthings ADT Panel is pretty much the only way to go. All other options use the cloud heavily and require some hackery to get a fully functional system. I understand your concern about the ADT pricing. It isn’t as bad as I have seen from some of the other large security firms but isn’t great. If you pay for 6 months up front you can get it down to about $21 a month. If you pay monthly it is 25 basically. That is allot more then the $16 you are saying.

I would also suggest you look at the ADT Tools application for additional integration options with the smartthigs environment if you get the Smartthings ADT Panel. ADT Tools does run in the cloud but your alarm system doesn’t depend on it to work.

The 4 alternatives in Smartthings I can think of are below and all but the 1st option requires the cloud to work. If the cloud is down so is your alarm system

1. Smart Home Monitor
  2. Smart Home Monitor with SHM Delay
  3. Smart Home Monitor with Scoute
  4. Noonlight

If you are fine with separate systems and don’t mind Amazon owning Ring, I would suggest ring protect as a good pricewise alternative. No integration, but you can’t beat the price at $10 a month.

3 Likes

I’m going to do some research to confirm that. Been putting off migrating all my stuff from Nvidia shield ST to ADT hub. Got the starter kit cheap and all the sensors $8 a piece. And the add on kit $79.
The door sensors are fast and accurate. No delay and communication lockups like the Iris.

All the devices and routines are talking to each other. I have Alexa trigging announcements based on the ADT sensors. Granted there is a a skill for ADT ST. However. All my routines triggered from the ADT key fob, panel and door sensors still trigger devices and routines on the old hub. The smart thing app allows 2 hubs and ask me which hub to attach any new devices at the same location and network. The classic ST app sees all the devices but thinks they are on the same hub. My experience so far anyway.

Check the official support knowledge base. It should be 30 seconds to research, since it’s a FAQ. :wink:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003226203-SmartThings-Hub-Miscellaneous-FAQ

Can I use two Hubs in one Location?
The SmartThings app does support multiple Hubs in one Location. However, devices can only be paired to one controller at a time. This means that while the Hubs and their devices will exist on the same Location, devices can only be controlled by the Hub that they are paired to. You can also control multiple Hubs from one account.

BTW, In the official knowledge base whenever they say “the SmartThings app“ they mean the new app, “Samsung SmartThings (Connect)”

But last I saw, the ADT hub didn’t work with the new app. I don’t know if that’s changed.

It does now

1 Like

During the ADT hub installation, the wizard suggested excluding all devices and resetting old hub. Glad I didn’t go through with that. Didn’t even occur to me the FAQ would be updated.

Works great so far.

Is anyone else having a difficult time using the ADT hub for automations. I also can’t use ADT hub with IFTT. That is one of the biggest differences I have noticed so far.

The ADT Hub uses the same cloud as every other SmartThings Hub.

Automations and integrations (IFTTT, ActionTiles, etc.) should all work exactly the same (except that the Smart Home Monitor dashboard solution SmartApp is not available to ADT Security Hub users).

Are you using the SmartThings Classic App?

I was able to get the ADT hub connected with Ifft. I had to go into the app and update the settings to allow it to access my ADT devices. I am however unable to setup where if my alarm is triggered certain non ADT lights or devices will turn on.

Try this:

Great thank you! I appreciated your help!

Can you please be more specific here? What do you mean by that?

It means that of all SmartThings “active” Customers, we estimate that 1% to 5% completely wipe out their Location and/or hard-reset their Hubs and/or replace their Hubs; and thus have to manually migrate their Things and all associated Rooms, Scenes, Routines, and SmartApps.

I’m sure that most of the voluntary resets happen in the first couple of months. The householder decides to “clean up” their installation after going through a learning phase.

But the other major cause of Location Resets over the past year has been confusion over migration to the Samsung Login, which caused SmartThings Customers to try the new SmartThings App, which caused them to create a new Location (unexpectedly, inexplicably, and confusingly), and they just started over, not knowing how else to fix the problem.

That’s much clearer now. Thank you!
I understand that you run a business based on the Smartthings Hub. How has been your experience? Is it a stable enough platform to for a business to be based on?

(Getting off Topic… :smirk: ) The short answer is … well, we’re still here.

A little bit off yet related. Thank you for your reply now and always! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But can you see the sensors in ST app? or not in ADT panel and not in App? I mean we can consider ADT security almost separated from the built-in ST hub. But the question is if this built-in hub is a complete ST hub or just have some functionalities?