Add flashing/steady light to Elder Slip/Fall?

(Hugh Dinwiddie) #1

I have a Down Syndrome daughter living with me and would like to us a variant of the Elder Care Smart Apps to not just send a text, but also turn on or flash a bedside light in another room of the house. I can look through the code but am so new at it, I don’t know where to begin to modify the code or use something else. Any ideas, please. It seems this would be a useful addition.

(Tim Slagle) #2

To be clear, you’re using our app in the marketplace and want that to also turn on a light?

(Hugh Dinwiddie) #3

Correct. I’d like to use the Slip/Fall in the Elder Care and not just do a notification/SMS, which might be missed, but also turn on a bedside light in another room or better yet, flash it.

(Tim Slagle) #4

Can you send me an email? I’d like to work with you directly to do this and more if you have any other custom things you need.

slagle@smartthings.com

There are several ways to do this, and @slagle is a grandmaster coder who can help you with custom solutions. :sunglasses:

Meanwhile, if you just want to put a quick solution in place for now, have the text go to IFTTT and then either just have it turn on a light using the SmartThings channel, or have it flash a light using the Phillips hue channel.

I myself am quadriparetic and we use this method to have a Philips light in my housemate’s room turn blue when I enter the front yard and I turn it off again by voice when I’m in the house. That way if I happen to be stuck in the yard, he will know to come help me. ( We use this method because when he’s playing videogames he doesn’t always check his phone. :wink:)

So there are a lot of variations you can do with this based on the fact that IFTTT (which is a free service) will recognize an incoming text. And both SmartThings and Philips Hue have IFTTT channels.

You can also have a single text to IFTTT trigger multiple “recipes” so you can have it send you a notification as well as turn on multiple lights, blink just one of them, etc.

I’m sure Tim can give you a much more elegant solution, but like I said, this is just something you can do for a quick fix now. :sunglasses:

If you are unfamiliar with IFTTT, the following is a good tutorial:

(Hugh Dinwiddie) #6

Thanks for your response and IFFT suggestion. I hadn’t done much of that, but will work with it some. I just tried to use IFFT to call me if a moisture sensor in my sunroom went off and it was pretty cool. Of course I got the regular SmartThings notifications, too. Thanks for the link, too.