AD2SmartThings

thanks i’ll ceck it out

Hey All, looks like great work was done here in the past. Just researching setups and planning to integrate SmartThings with my Home Alarm, not sure what approach to take yet, still reading.

Just wanted to confirm, for someone new without already having a Thing Shield, I wouldn’t be able to use this approach correct?

Thanks in advance.

Trevor, the project as written still requires a Thing Shield which is unfortunately no longer available. @ogiewon has made his ST_Anything library work with an ethernet shield and wifi module but Stan nor I have put any effort to updating the project with these changes. I personally don’t have an ethernet shield of wifi module and have been quite busy personally to put the effort into updating this project to work with these components.

There are certainly other projects on the community to integrate your alarm panel with ST. I personally feel this is one of the more feature rich versions and it doesn’t require a PC or other software running to make it work. If you are a “hacker” and want to explore this project with an ethernet shield of wife module I am happy to work with you to port the code over to the new ST_Anything code. Stan and I are always welcome to pull request in Git. If you want a point solution then you may want to consider another option.

Thank you for the quick reply Rich.

From what I’ve been reading I do like the features of your approach, but I’m not sure what the others are missing as yet and whether I’ll need them, so I’ll try to read some more.

If I don.t see anything I like then I’ll look into hacking together something, but I’m not sure if I have the skills for that, I’ve only done more basic things in the past, but I’m sure I could learn. I will let you know if I go down that path.

Thanks again.

Hi guys

I’m trying to link my ST IDE directly to your github but it’s not finding anything available to link. I’m using the below configuration, is this correct plrease?

Thanks.

Mike or Stan,

I’m happily humming along with this integration (as well as Stan’s irrigation project), but I feel like I’m on borrowed time until the day my Shield(s) dies. With no replacements available, I’d be sunk.

Have you considered - or would consider - implementing an alternative? I don’t know enough to evaluate what that might be, but I notice the following:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-st-anything-v2-2-arduino-esp8266-to-st-via-thingshield-ethernet-or-wifi/77707/89?u=cal7

Your thoughts? And thanks again for the outstanding integration that I use many times each day.

@CAL7 Thanks for reaching out. I am also humming along using my ThingShield as well. Fortunately I have 3 of them total, 2 are in use, and 1 is a backup. There hasn’t been a whole lot of interest in this project so I just haven’t felt the need to put any time getting this to work with Dan’s great work on the updated ST_Anything project. Plus I don’t own a Wifi or ethernet shield anyway. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it is how I am feeling.

BUT if something happens to one of the loyal users of the project, such as yourself, I am happy to help get you up and running again.

On a side note, since the ThingShield thing is still an issue - we have fixed most of the issues with the official plugin and have integrated with SHM.

1 Like

@ritchierich Good to know you’re there, Mike. Hopefully, I won’t need to, but I’ll give you a shout if the time comes.

@d8adrvn @ritchierich A question about alarm states. At the panel, I hit ARMED AWAY. During the delay, ST reports “… system is arming away.” (Value is “armingAway”). But, once in effect, ST reports “armedStay” The event log:

It matters to me because I want to have a webCoRE piston trigger off the armedAway status.

I know there is an option for armed stay to use armed instant, but I don’t have that selected (plus, it doesn’t seem related).

I would appreciate if you would explain what I’m seeing. Thanks!

@CAL7 I wish I had an answer for you. I work from home and just tried to replicate your issue without success. Here are my system logs from arming stay last night before bed and then just now armng away.
2017-05-01 10:49 AM EDT - moments ago system disarmed
2017-05-01 10:49 AM EDT - moments ago system armedAway
2017-05-01 10:48 AM EDT - moments ago system armingAway
2017-05-01 6:03 AM EDT - 5 hours ago system disarmed
2017-05-01 6:03 AM EDT - 5 hours ago system disarmed
2017-04-30 10:34 PM EDT - 12 hours ago system armedStay
2017-04-30 10:34 PM EDT - 12 hours ago system armingStay
2017-04-30 9:50 AM EDT - 1 day ago system disarmed

I would suggest you try again and see if it is repeatable. The “status” value is set based on what your alarm panel reports via the raw data from the Alarm Decoder via the Arduino and these specific lines of code:
//Determine alarm status
if (rawPanelCode.substring(11,12) == “1”) {
alarmStatus = “alarm”;
} else if (rawPanelCode.substring(2,3) == “0” && rawPanelCode.substring(3,4) == “0”) {
alarmStatus = “disarmed”;
} else if (rawPanelCode.substring(2,3) == “1”) {
alarmStatus = “armedAway”;
} else if (rawPanelCode.substring(3,4) == “1”) {
alarmStatus = “armedStay”;
}
if (keypadMsg.indexOf(“Exit Now”) >= 0 || keypadMsg.indexOf(“exit now”) >= 0) {
alarmStatus.replace(“armed”, “arming”);
}

Maybe @kevin_nutech has some thoughts.

You may have the field(s) enabled that detect if an exit was opened or not during arm away. In this case, if an exit is not triggered, it will automatically revert to stay since it did not detect you going away.

This is programmable field in vista panels, I just don’t remember which field without a manual in front of my face :slight_smile:

That’s it!!! After testing a dozen times this morning with the same frustrating results (reflected on the panel so I realized it was unlikely to be an idiosyncrasy of the ST integration), I was “headed off to the web” to see if there was some Vista parameter that was doing it to me. But @kevin_nutech saved me. Tested and opening a door does set it to armedAway status. I hadn’t thought there was a problem before but testing seemed conclusive. :joy: Thanks @ritchierich for your tests.

You can disable this feature so it will always arm in whatever state you tell it to arm - you just have to undo the programming in those fields.

Kevin - What is the best practice for someone using a ThingShield?

Richard, what do you mean by this question? Kevin works for Nutech/Alarm Decoder so he doesn’t support the SmartThings ThingShield. The code in the original post of this thread will get you going, which I believe you have things setup based on past threads. Not sure what version you are using but early summer last year Stan and I published a new version and SmartApp that integrates with SHM. Please see the original post for details.

What? I have no idea about the ThingShield, sorry - as far as I know it is not produced anymore. A bit of a vague question, sorry…

I have noticed recently that the DH for the device shows open sensors but the individual sensors are not updating status. Anytips? Update?

What version are you using? Please compare your version to the one in the original post. Stan and I released that version last summer that addressed issues of stuck zones.

Edit: @MacBenTosh from earlier posts you mention you are using the Alarm Decoder network appliance. Please post your question here:
AlarmDecoder AD2Pi Network Appliance

Since ThingShield is discontinued, is there any alternative way to use AD2SmartThings? Or did this project die an unfortunate death along with the ThingShield?