ActionTiles on Echo Show

I would totally be in to this. Either always being on instead of my background picture or saying Alexa show me my dash or dashboard or devices, etc.

Can someone with an Echo Show try this and post some pictures with Action Tiles :slight_smile:

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

Anybody get actiontiles on the new echo show yet since it has a browser?

Yes, I got my show yesterday and Have AT on it, only issue is it goes away after about 10 min to the home screen. Any ideas on how to stop that from happening?

1 Like

I thought pre-orders were delivered yesterday.

I’m holding off on buying until I see how well it works. Do you have any pics or videos of it in action?

Here is AT on the new show, not much more I can show you.

3 Likes

Now, can somebody tell me how to make it stay??? LOL

1 Like

Me too. Echo Show 2 don’t have setting Screen timeout !!!

Can you side load stuff onto the new show such as tasker to customise the sleep/wake etc?

I returned all 4 Echo Show v2 and bought 4 Fire HD 10 tablet with charging dock. Much more useful to my request ( Action Tiles, YouTube 1080p, Arlo 
 ). But there is a issue : I can not log into the ST app !

1 Like

Yup
 Known issue.

With sufficient hacking (I don’t know where the latest details are), supposedly you can force the “default browser” to be Chrome or Samsung Browser 
 but it is not easy. That is the only way to get either new or Classic SmartThings App to install at this time. This situation has been known for over 1.5 years.

ActionTiles works fine, of course: But we are still very sad because we think our Customers should also be able to pop into the SmartThings App whenever they want or need to have access to special settings, SmartApps, add Device, etc.

1 Like

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else. I’m just getting started with the Echo Show 2.

Can someone outline the steps to getting the Echo Show to display my ActionTiles main panel? I’m hoping I can paste the URL into a page somewhere on amazon.com (using copy/paste on a PC rather than type it out on the Show) and then tell Amazon that when I say “Alexa, show my dashboard” it will know to bring up that URL on the Echo Show.

Thanks.

At this time, Echo Show does not respond to any speech command to activate ActionTiles.

At most you can do is say “Alexa, open Firefox” and have your Panels pinned to the bookmark page that is shown.

1 Like

Ah, OK, thanks (bummer). I "ass"umed by now I’d be able to do something like this.

This (now) sounds familiar, and it occurs to me I might have asked a similar question in a different thread (sorry). That different thread didn’t show up when I did the search that found this thread, probably because I used a different search string.

With the release of the Facebook Portal, I see the Echo Show becoming even more popular than before. My wife and I had never really considered video calling important. But as my nephew gets older and my wife about to have a great niece/nephew, both of whom are over 1000 miles away, it has become something that I am actively looking into. The Facebook Portal really falls short for me, as it is solely dedicated to video calling (at a premium price). In comparing the Portal to the Show, for me the Show comes out on top. I already have an Alexa ecosystem in my house ( 4 echo dots and 3 Fire 10 tablets wall mounted running ActionTiles) and the fact that the Show can perform many other tasks besides video calling, puts it on the top of my list. Maybe the powers that be at Amazon will see this, or those who build apps/integrations will see this and open the Show up for more uses i.e. running ActionTiles more like the Fire tablets do.

3 Likes

Not sure if things have changed with an Echo Show update, but right now you can easily launch action tiles with the phrase “Alexa launch Firefox” as it will remember the last thing that was loaded in the browser. It also seems to stay on plenty long enough to use, just not permanently. If someone figures out how to force the Echo Show to launch Actiontiles in full screen mode, that would be fantastic. Right now I have to slide up on the screen manually which gets it in Full Screen mode.

Now if Amazon would just allow skills to be called by routines, we could easily make it work as we want.

3 Likes