Account migration does not work for married couples and families

I don’t understand, have you found the ability to add another user yet? This is the path you need to go, add another user, add your partner’s email so that they can keep their Samsung Pay login and also login to the SmartThings Classic/New app, note that it will create an additional presence sensor when doing so.

I’m not sure why you are giving up on anything when the functionality is there and you don’t need to give up on anything.

Yes, AT is a good product and I appreciate the choice that it provides. Just that for my use cases I did not need all that functionality.

2 Likes

Yes, got that too work by using a new Android phone. I don’t know why I was having issues with the two phones that I already had Samsung accounts setup.
Also, even with creating additional accounts since I’m only allowed to use one Samsung account per phone I will have to use that one account for both Samsung pay and smartthings and I don’t want that (these are unrelated services and I don’t care for Samsung to know that these are related somehow).

1 Like

I’ve used the app version in the past with Tasker (good integration BTW), didn’t realize you have a web dashboard now. I’ll try that out.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you have to use the same account? Is it not letting you change one or something?

Samsung allows me to only use one account on my Samsung phone at a time. Let’s say I have my Samsung Pay with myemail1@xyz.com and Smartthings with myemail2@abxyz.com I have to pick one account for my Samsung phone and use that for both services. I can go into settings and remove one account and replace it with the second account but that is painful to switch every time I want to switch between the two services. Also, every time I switch account in settings back for Samsung Pay I have to run through activation for all of my credit cards (one of them requires me to make a call to my card company). This is not practical.

1 Like

Okay, that part makes sense but I think where the confusion is coming in is, say the following was true -

Your account/phone is: myemail1@xyz.com
Your partner’s account/phone is: myemail2@abxyz.com

Why didn’t you add the new user in SmartThings for your partner using their email address myemail2@abxyz.com? That way they can log in to the SmartThings app using that email address along with Samsung Pay (or just the entire account for the phone in general)?

2 Likes

I can create additional users - no problem there. My blocker is the need to combine services (I was required to combine my ST & Samsung Pay and my wife was required to combine her ST and SP). Anyway like I said we both abandoned SP and going back to good old swiping of physical cards, ST is fine now.

Why not just use Google Pay? I have never used Samsung Pay on my Note8 but do on my Gear3 watch as it is the only option. Using both (GP on phone, and SP on watch) this way has not caused me any problems yet.

On a side note to the general discussion, I find sharing accounts between people, no matter how close, the worst possible thing to do with an account… And I hate it when I am forced to do so, in which case I resort to, if possible, a dummy account created just for sharing which isn’t attached to anything else.

2 Likes

Hoping someone can help me here:

I am on Android, wife’s on iOS. Wife currently accesses ST via her own login after I shared access. Both using classic app.

I have switched to my Samsung account as instructed - no issues.

Now my wife is being told to switch to a Samsung account in the classic app.

Can she create her own account without an issue now? Or do I have to give her my Samsung account login details for everything to work as-is?

She will want to create or use her own Samsung account. The account sharing will remain. With a Samsung account it is even more important to use separate accounts for each person that wants to login.

For my house I received the notice well before the other person, it was at least a month before. Once the other/shared account received the notice to switch to a Samsung account they did and nothing adverse happened to the account sharing.

1 Like

Following on from the above, (where my wife’s shared account was prompted to create a Samsung account) I told her to go ahead given the above advice. So she created a new Samsung account but she cannot login with it on her iPhone?? Selecting ‘new to Smartthings’ gives the option to use a Samsung account, but doing so just starts the ‘enter your code’ new hub setup process?

Anyone know what we should be doing her?

She’s now back logged in using her old ST account and everything seems to be normal and the 'update to a Sammy account’s message has disappeared. But it feels like she should now be be using her Samsung account and not old login details?

To reiterate, I am the primary owner here and we do not share login details. She is setup on a completely separate login after I shared access.

Ok, scratch this, my wife just randomly created a Samsung account and didn’t follow the in-app instructions. Panic over.